(What do I want to (What did I
(What do I know?)
Are women important in the world?
Which are the living situations for
women around the world?
Important Women throughout the world
Write the definition for each word and write a
sentence for each one.
2. pummeling 7. indigo
3. composure 8. conclude
4. translating 9. coalition
5. chauffeur 10. conservative
6. illusions 11. curious
Complete pg. 65 in the Practice Book
Complete vocabulary Check on pg. 147
in the Student Book
In groups of four (4):
Read the story and summarize for the group
Group 1 - pg. 134 - 136
Group 2 - pg. 137 - 138
Group 3 - 139 - 140
Group 4 - 142 - 143
Group 5 - 144 - 145
Go to ESL Plus
Find the writing activity for this unit
Follow instructions and submit
Suffixes -tion and -sion
The suffixes -tion an d -sion turn a verb
into a noun that describes a state of
being or a quality.
Example: admire, admiration
The spelling of the verb sometimes
changes when the suffix is added
A. Which word in parentheses ()
correctly completes each sentence? Write
it in the blank.
1. Nailah wondered how she would bear
the ___________ when her friends left.
2. When Private Green said she planned
to be a doctor, Nailah’s _________ for her
soared. (admire, admiration)
3. Nailah wanted to get an ________ and
study medicine. (educate, education)
4. Without _________ from her father, she
couldn’t go. (permit, permission)
5. One day, in a ________ with her
mother, Nailah dared to describe her
dream. (converse, conversation)
6. If only her mother had the courage to
______ it with her father! (discuss,
B. Add the suffix -tion or -sion to the verbs to make a
noun. Then match the noun with its meaning.
1. admire ________a. the act of talking something over
2. separate ________ b. the act of dividing
3. discuss _________ c. the feeling of respect
4. educate _________ d. the act of allowing
5. permit ________ f. the process of gaining knowledge
To make an inference, add story details
to what you already know to figure out
something that is not directly stated.
What I learned What I already
from reading know
Verbs that show action are called action
They help you picture what a character is
Identify the action word in each
1. The tourists saw the ruins.
2. The janitor washed the window.
3. The children played noisily.
Simple and Complete Subjects
The Complete subject is all the words in
the subject of a sentence.
The simple subject is the main word in
the subject of the sentence. It tells who or
what the sentence is about.
Simple and Complete Subjects
A. Circle the simple subject and
underline the complete subject.
1. The football players at our school
2. His band practices almost every day
3. The best player on the team will be the
captain next year.
4. The eighth-grade soccer team won the
championship this year.
5. Some of the girls in seventh grade
play really well, too.
B. Write a complete subject for the
1. _______________ is my dream.
2. _______________ has really inspired me.
3. _______________ is the kindest person I
4. ______________ is the most beautiful
place I visited.
C. Write three sentences stating
something your learned about women’s
lives in different countries from this
selection. When you are through,
underline the complete subject and circle
the simple subject of each sentence.