Welcome to the Wordpress
Workshop for Newbies
By Trent Jessee
This is me…Trent Jessee – Your Wordpress Consultant !
What’s in store for today…
Overview of Wordpress (why use it and why it’s the best solution for business
owners building a business online)
Differences between Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org
How to choose a good domain name, and select the right hosting company.
How to install your own WordPress website with your own theme of choice along
with the top plugins you need!
How to identify your own MARKET NICHE and why this is so important
The steps to take for effective market researching and understanding the PEOPLE
in your TARGET MARKET
What mind mapping is and how to create your own ROAD MAP based off of the
WordPress Blueprint you receive at the Workshop.
The difference between affiliate marketing and drop-shipping and how you can
make money selling other people’s products/services
What SEO is and the difference between natural and paid rankings
How to get started optimizing your own website for Search Engines
What Google Adsense is and how to use it
Services to use for your opt-in lists
Social networking and how to use facebook, twitter, and others…
How to build a list and why it’s one of the most important things you can do online
Final item: Ask any questions you want and I’ll give you a straight answer
What is Wordpress
and Why use it to
build your business online
Gain 100% CONTROL over your business online!
Ability to have UNLIMITED website PAGES!
Enjoy a fully functional Content Management System (CMS)
It’s FREE to use!
Access to hundreds of Awesome FREE WordPress THEMES that are professionally
designed and ready to go.
Free plugins to transform and operate your website the way YOU WANT
Can be used for not only your Website needs, but also your blogging efforts!
You can implement pretty much anything you want on your site..images, flash,
power points, music, videos, documents, etc..
Comes with it’s own image editor
Differences between Wordpress.com and
Let’s look at Wordpress.COM first
It’s completely FREE Can’t upload your own Plugins
Hassle Free No Access to your website code to edit it and
tweak your website the way you want
Everything is taken care of: setup, upgrades, Can’t upload custom themes
spam, backups, security, etc
Your blog is on hundreds of servers, so it’s highly
unlikely it will go down due to traffic
Your posts are backed up automatically
You get extra traffic from blogs of the day and
You can find like-minded bloggers using tag and
Your login is secure (SSL) so no one can get into
your account if you use wifi
You can upload your own THEMES You’ll need purchase hosting which
generally costs around $4 to $12 a month
for low traffic websites.
You can upload you own PLUGINS Requires some technical knowledge to
set up and operate.
Complete CONTROL over optimizing, You’ll have to Back-up our website
editing and tweaking any of the site code yourself
A huge social network to access using You’ll need to upgrade the software
wordpress.org as their system of choice manually when new versions come out
If you get huge spikes of traffic coming to
your site (like Digg of Slashdot) your site
will probably go down unless you have a
robust hosting setup.
10 Step Checklist – What to do before launching
your business online using Wordpress
1 Brainstorm a list of areas of passion in your life
2 Identify your TOP 3 market niches you’re passionate about
3 Research and Refine your THREE market niches down to ONE Market niche based upon
profitability and competition
Complete your Keyword Research for targeted keyword phrases that are HIGH in
4 DEMAND and LOW in COMPETITION
5 Document the projected profitability of your business based up on the products
Choose and research your Target Market audience and create your buyer personalities
6 for at least THREE groups within your target market. Write down a list of the TOP 20
problems/challenges people in your market have. Use Google.com, twitter, facebook,
etc.. to help discover market questions you may not have thought of.
Create a road map of how you want your website to operate. What do you want the
7 site to do for you? Use MindMapping software to help.
8 Organize your business team (employees, independent contractors, business partners)
9 Organize your website content. (images, product decriptions, etc..)
10 Register Domain Name, sign up for a hosting account that supports Wordpress
(Example: www.BlueHost.com ) You’re now ready to install Wordpress and integrate
the content you’ve prepared!
How to effectively Brainstorm
• Create a focused environment
• Use Google Keyword Tool for ideas
• Ask friends/family for their feedback
• Use Excel to track your ideas
– Here’s a FREE Excel spreadsheet tracker I created
for my clients to use. Download it here
Identify your Market Niche
• A Market Niche is a specialized area within a market
such as Green Camping Tackle boxes for Fishing
Enthusiasts who like to fish for Trout.
• A Market Niche is not general or broad such as
• Basing your business upon a market niche weeds out
competition and helps serve people who otherwise
Refine your Market Niches using
Profitability and Competition
1. Examine the costs of doing business. Your prices of buying
and average costs of selling your products and/or services.
2. Set sales volume goals so you’ll have an estimated idea of
how profitable your venture will be.
Identifing and Getting to know
your Target Market
• A target market is a group of people you want to serve based upon your
market research. Who in the world would stand to benefit most from your
• Move away from saying my target market is “The Whole World”…. It’s not
going to happen, at least right now
– Example: My target market is 20-40 yr old Men living in Wyoming
• Research online using Google, facebook, twitter, etc…
questions/challenges the people have within your market. Write them
• Create up to THREE buyer personality descriptions (buyer personas) based
upon your research. Create a face and as much personality as you can.
– Example: Bill the Hick lives in Wyoming. He has a long beard, loves the outdoors, lives in
a motor home, has children, loves listening to Chris Ledoux. He’s a pretty easy going
How to create your Road Map
• Go to this Blog Post that I created to learn
how to create your website road map using a
Mind Mapping program such as FreeMind:
– How to Mind Map
Create your Power Team
• Your are the visionary responsible for keeping the VISION ALIVE! You don’t
have to do all the work by yourself.
• Make a target list of people you would need to help run your business
• Examples: blogger, programmer, designer, financial officer, consultant,
• Will these people be: 1) Employees, 2) contractors, 3) business partners
• Consider outsourcing the duties:
• Create or Join a Wordpress Mastermind: Go to this site
Organize your Web Content
• Gather all of your product images, documents,
etc.. that you want on your site and place
them in their appropriate folders on your
• Rename all product images, affiliate product
images to their respective names instead of
You’re now ready to set up your
Wordpress Site !!
How to Install your own
self-hosting Wordpress Site
• Go to this link on my website for the online
– Wordpress Set-Up Guide
Two Tips to
choosing a Domain Name
1. After you do your keyword research, use one of your best
keyword phrases as your domain name. This can help you
with your search engine optimization efforts.
2. Choose a domain name that is easy to spell and avoid using
the letter 2, or TWO, Too, or To…causes confusion
This concludes Phase 1 of
Wordpress for Newbies