A sword is to be used skillfully in battle as both an offensive and a defensive weapon. God has equipped you with such a weapon for your spiritual battle: “the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God” Ephesians 6:17
The Holy Spirit uses the word of God to accomplish the work of God.
God’s word- His communication to you
The Bible is the most remarkable book ever written. The writing was done by about 40 men of many occupations.
They wrote over a period of approximately 1,500 yrs, and in 3 Languages…. Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek.
Yet the Bible has one great theme and central figure – Jesus Christ.
All this would be impossible unless the Bible had one supreme Author---
And it did… The Holy Spirit of God.
But how did he do it?
What does 2 timothy 3:16 say about the Scriptures?
A. Some of the Bible is inspired by God
B. All of it is inspired by God
C. Only the parts that speak to you in a personal way are inspired by God.
“Inspired” comes from a Greek word meaning “God-breathed.”
How was scripture given? 2 Peter 1:20-21
2 Peter 1:20-21
(20) Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
(21) For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.
Who then helps you understand the Bible?
1 Corinthians 2:12-16
(12) Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
(13) Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
(14) But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them] , because they are spiritually discerned.
(15) But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
(16) For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Psalms 19:7-11 The law of the LORD [is] perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD [is] sure, making wise the simple.
(8) The statutes of the LORD [are] right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD [is] pure, enlightening the eyes.
(9) The fear of the LORD [is] clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD [are] true [and] righteous altogether.
(10) More to be desired [are they] than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
(11) Moreover by them is thy servant warned: [and] in keeping of them [there is] great reward.
Out of all you wrote down, what 2 or 3 things impressed you the most?