The promise Jesus makes here is one we find hard to believe –
"Ask and you will receive".
We all know that is not always the case.
Is Jesus wrong?
How we can ask and receive? - there is a foolproof way.
First, we have to get rid of 2 misunderstandings about prayer…
1) God must answer according to the precise letter of our prayers…
Notice that although Jesus doesn’t put restrictions on what we can pray for.. He does not say I’ll give you whatever you want… Just the opposite, he shows us God gives us things that don’t hurt us…
“ how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?”
Sometimes God answers to the spirit of our prayer.
2 Corinthians 12:7-9
(7) And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
(8) For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
(9) And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit : for without me ye can do nothing.
4) Do you get your strength from Christ…
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
5) Your prayer life is alive and active.
John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
God the Father John 10:29 My Father, which gave [them] me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand. YOU!
God the Father John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand. YOU! God the Son: Jesus
God the Father Ephesians 4:30 (30) And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. YOU! God the Son: Jesus God the Holy Spirit
God the Father Ephesians 4:30 (30) And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. YOU! God the Son: Jesus God the Holy Spirit You see, if you abide in Christ…. You are safe and secure in his love!!!
God the Father So When Satan Tries to get to you, he cannot!!!!!!!!! YOU! God the Son: Jesus God the Holy Spirit You see, if you abide in Christ…. You are safe and secure in his love!!!
You cannot rush into prayer, without making sure your heart is OK..
God speaking to Ezekiel says in Ezekiel 14:3
(3) Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their heart, and put the stumblingblock of their iniquity before their face: should I be enquired of at all by them?
Or another way of translating this verse… "Son of Man, these people have installed idols in their hearts. They have embraced the wickedness that will ruin them. Why should I even bother with their prayers? (The Message)
He will give you a clear conscience and peace, and joy
The Holy Spirit can then start working through you
Then you can pray with the intercession of the Holy Spirit
God promises to answer your prayers
There is no reason to be a powerless Christian
Today make it your decision to walk with God through absolute obedience, while abiding in Christ, while having a clear conscience, Then when you unselfishly ask God for something, He will give it to you.
Nothing is more horrible than to be in such a state of mind that you know God will not answer your prayers…
Search your heart today… Is there something there that will keep your prayers from being heard by God? If so, repent of it, and accept God’s forgiveness… right now.