Social networking sites and their means of creatingPresentation Transcript
Social Networking sitesSocial Networking sitesand their means ofand their means ofcreating authenticitycreating authenticity..
YouTube is made of the facility to post text comments onVloggs allowing users to feel a face-face communication.YouTube has been describes as post television.
“ On YouTube, there is no distinction betweencelebrities and normal people”When YouTube won the Peabody awards, theythanked the YouTube community for their success.
YouTube has constant accessibility.YouTube has also introduced the viral video craze.
• “Facebook’s news feed mixes personal ephemera, newsheadlines, party photo’s, political announcements, attention-seeking, communion and links. These are shared in somecases by people whom we know very well offline or in othercases by people whom we’ve barely or never met, or bypublic figures and media organisations… It’s a blend ofpersonal communication and public media that manifests ashift in the way we experience mediated communication.Facebook is a complex space, a site of multiple convergencesand modes of interaction, and one that offers key tounderstanding our converged media environment”. (Meikle,G. & Young, S. (2012))
• “Convergent media environment is an area in which people’sprivate lives can become public instantly. It is not alwaysclear, even to ourselves, how public we intend ourinteractions through social network media to be – and otherpeople might take that decision on our behalf, with what cansometimes be unexpected consequences”.• “A social network such as Facebook is a colossal database of thepersonal information of hundreds of millions users – theircontact details, their photos, videos, their likes and dislikes,their friends and their networks, their biographies andbehaviour, their allegiances, aspirations and secrets. But whoowns the data? Facebook does”.•surveillancesurveillance
• Maximisation of commercial use threateningthe principle of ‘network neutrality’. Havesites like Facebook become more of amarketing strategy driven by profit andways of self-mapping, connecting to userscreating a new authenticity for itself?Facebook marketingFacebook marketing
• You now can also web chat via Facebook with yourfriends and also send they voice messages from yourphone… could the emergence of social networkingsites have been converged to develop a new ‘mobile’means of communication? If we have these, viaconnection to the internet, are mobile phonesessential if you can web chat for free on the move?• Facebook – a public journal?
SOCIAL NETWORKINGSOCIAL NETWORKINGSITES ARE LINKEDSITES ARE LINKEDTOGETHERTOGETHERSOCIAL NETWORKINGSOCIAL NETWORKINGSITES ARE LINKEDSITES ARE LINKEDTOGETHERTOGETHER
• Twitter can be seen as a public journal• Allows people to ‘babble’ on about absolutelyanything.• Twitter allows users the ability to update theirprofile by using their mobile phone eitherby text messaging or by apps released forcertain smart phones and tablets
Social networking sites have become a majorpart of our daily lives
• Instant messages and the emergence of socialnetworking sites has all developed into a means ofauthenticity.• It has become an ‘ethos’ to which audiences have nowadapted to in their daily lives though various devicessuch as mobile apps, allowing it to become a meansof self-mapping.• These social network sites not only map our existenceto the public, but also allow the blurred distinctive‘friends’ to track our every move.