YOUTUBE SOCIAL MEDIA
WEB 2.0 NEW MEDIA
WHERE DID IT ALL BEGIN?
60’s & 70’s
different ways to 80’s
connect computers TCP/IP invented -
speaks the same
networks join ‘The
Opening of Early 90’s
The Internet for Everyone has
commercial entities (or wants)
invents HTTP, 1994
HTML and The NetScape
World Wide Web Navigator becomes
Browser of choice
happen March 10, 2000
The industry reels
as Web companies’ 2004+
stock values The User-
plummet Generated Web.
A TALE IN TWO PARTS
Teach, allow and
Join the online
students to engage in
Social Media in order
Media based on the online
conversations and interactions
“The difference between PR and social
media is that PR is about positioning, and
Social Media is about becoming, being and
• MicroBlogging (or, Tweeting)
• Photo Sharing
• Social News Voting
• Video Creation
WEB 2.0 - INWARDS
• Do we still need “computer classes” in the timetable?
• What is the role of the teacher?
• What can our pupils teach us?
• Does our Professional Development plan for IT go beyond
• Are we leveraging online resources for the beneﬁt of our pupils?
GR 8 - SOCIAL SCIENCE
• Researching the history of settlement in Cape Town.
• Travel to Cape Town by train
• Walking history tour
• Nothing spectacularly different to any other traditional school
Except for this …
GR 8 - SOCIAL SCIENCE
• They will use digital cameras or camera-phones to record video
and still photos as well as interview people.
• Once back at school they will develop a Glog which will then be
submitted for assessment electronically.
• Glog : An interactive poster using Glogster.
• Free education accounts can be opened at http://edu.glogster.com
WHO’S DOING THIS STUFF?
(OUTSIDE OF EDUCATION)
WHO’S NOT: DELL HELL
June 21, 2005: Dell lies. Dell sucks.
I just got a new Dell laptop and paid a fortune for the four-year, in-home service.
The machine is a lemon and the service is a lie.
I'm having all kinds of trouble with the hardware: overheats, network doesn't work, maxes
out on CPU usage. It's a lemon.
But what really irks me is that they say if they sent someone to my home -- which I paid
for -- he wouldn't have the parts, so I might as well just send the machine in and lose it
for 7-10 days -- plus the time going through this crap. So I have this new machine and
paid for them to FIX IT IN MY HOUSE and they don't and I lose it for two weeks.
DELL SUCKS. DELL LIES. Put that in your Google and smoke it, Dell
Dell had a “hands off ” policy regarding bloggers
Can you afford to have a “hands off ” policy?
Customers are your best customer support
agents and marketers if only you allow them...
and respect them enough to listen to them.
• This must be driven from the Head
• The school principal must believe in the power of social media
and should be using it him/herself.
• Social media professional development must be on the agenda –
• Read our Twitter Handbook for Teachers
• Follow Tim
http://timk.co.za and http://twitter.com/timkeller
• Follow Arthur
http://headthoughts.co.za and http://twitter.com/artpreston
AN EDUGEEKS PRESENTATION
GEEKY STUFF FOR SAVVY EDUCATORS