• UNIVersal Automatic Computer
• Designed by J. Presper Eckert & John
• Manufactured by Remington Rand
Innovation – some definitions
• Creating something with economic value
• Bringing an idea to market (or putting it
actively into use)
• Converting an idea into revenue
• Configuring an idea so that it can be
A highly simplified & stylized model of evolutionary economics
The dynamic engine Variety
Innovation is Evolutionary
• Invention is the creation of variety
• Innovation is a process that includes all
– Variety: creating new ideas
– Selection: choosing the best ones
– Replication: getting them to spread
Innovation is More than Just New
development in our
sense is then defined
by the carrying out of
– J.A. Schumpeter
(1912) The Theory of
Schumpeter’s Forms of Innovation
1. The introduction of a new good, or a new
quality of good (or service)
2. Introduction of a new method of
3. The opening of a new market
4. Developing a new source of supply
5. Changing the structure of an industry
• 55,000 acre gold mine property in Ontario
• Returns stalled in 1999
• In March 2000, the company put all of the
information they had ever compiled about
the site online (over 400 mb of data)
• Asked for new sites to explore and
estimates of yield
• Offered $575,000 in prizes to the best
Case from Wikinomics by Tapscott & Williams
• Over 1000 entries from around the world
• 110 new sites identified - 50% had never been
identified by Goldcorp before
• 80% of the new sites yielded substantial
amounts of gold
• Cut 2-3 years off of the exploration process
• Annual revenue has gone from $100m pa to $9b
• Share price increased by 3000% over 15 years
“For 3 years you YouTubers have been ripping us off, taking tens of
thousands of our videos and putting them on YouTube. Now the tables
are turned. It's time for us to take matters into our own hands.
We know who you are, we know where you live and we could come
after you in ways too horrible to tell. But being the extraordinarily nice
chaps we are, we've figured a better way to get our own back: We've
launched our own Monty Python channel on YouTube.
No more of those crap quality videos you've been posting. We're giving
you the real thing - HQ videos delivered straight from our vault.
What's more, we're taking our most viewed clips and uploading brand
new HQ versions. And what's even more, we're letting you see
absolutely everything for free. So there!
But we want something in return.
None of your driveling, mindless comments. Instead, we want you to
click on the links, buy our movies & TV shows and soften our pain and
disgust at being ripped off all these years. “
• Monty Python dvds go immediately to #2
on Amazon’s tv & movie bestseller list
• Sales increase 23,000%
The Business Model translates
inputs into outputs
Source: Open Innovation by Henry Chesbrough
• How will people pay? Sale, lease,
licensing, per use fee, razor and razor
• Where in the value chain does the value
• What margins should you target?
• How can you finance the innovation?
Revenue Generation Mechanisms
Traditional Record Label Model
• Model for an indie
band, selling 250,000
copies of their first
major label record
• Record sold through
traditional media –
radio, tv video clips,
iTunes (?), etc.
Source: Steve Albini, The Trouble with Music,
The Baffler, Issue 5
Subscribe to the Music
Music may grow on trees, but money doesn’t, so Kristin is asking for your financial support. Take the music and run
with it — but please, consider supporting her work — with cash.
Strange Angel Level: $30 per quarter - Buy
In addition to the free music and media files, all subscribers in good standing will also receive:
• 2 spots on the guest list to any Kristin, Throwing Muses or 50FOOTWAVE performances – no more buying tickets!
• all new Kristin CDs, when they’re manufactured, ahead of the release date
• access to a media-rich Subscriber’s Page featuring lots of cool “other stuff”. Live bootlegs, video links, and more.
We also offer Special Opportunities to listeners who want to support Kristin’s work at a higher financial level.
All special opportunities include all the benefits of a full 1 year Strange Angel Level subscripion.
Studio Level Support: $500 - Buy
• In addition to Strange Angel benefits, Studio Level supporters receive a visit to the recording studio to observe the
(Please Note: This is offered on a limited basis, is first-come, first-served and subject to scheduling limitations. Every
effort will be made to accommodate subscribers. Generally speaking, Kristin records in Portsmouth, RI, — and
now New Orleans, LA though studio location is subject to change at any time.)
Sponsor Level Support: $1000 - Buy
• In addition to all the above, Sponsor Level supporters receive their name or the name of their business or organization
on Kristin’s new CD package as a Featured Sponsor.
Executive Producer Level Support: $5000 - Buy
• In addition to all the above, Executive Producers receive an Executive Producer credit on Kristin’s next CD
Kristin now has subscribers in each of the above categories, they come from 12 countries on 5 continents. Her work is
entirely funded by these amazing and generous people, making her completely independent - and accountable
only to her audience. We’ve had countless submissions of your work to Kristin’s RW page too, and look forward to
many, many more.
This has been truly humbling. Thank you sincerely.
• Traditional • Kristin Hersh
– Everyone! – Kevin Kelly’s 1000
– Or, at least, True Fans
Photo by Ben Garland
• Traditional • Kristin Hersh
– Be like everyone – Be part of my tribe
– Join the broad cultural – Talk about things
conversation specifically interesting
– Investment directly in
• Kristin Hersh’s day to day activities are the
same as when she was working in the
traditional business model – writing songs,
recording them, & playing live
• The end product is vastly different
• Business model innovation is one of the
most powerful forms of innovation
available, and one of the most overlooked
• Tim Kastelle
– 412 Colin Clark Bldg
– University of Queensland Business School
• Questions, issues and ongoing
• Innovation Leadership Network blog: