1. Integrating SOCIAL with SEOTim GriceHead of Search
2. Unnatural Links Will Hurt You! Forum Profiles Comment Paid Links Spam Unnatural Aggressive Blog Link AnchorNetworks Profile Text
3. Google Changes the Game Anchor Text?
4. Over Optimisation Algorithm?
5. Unnatural Links• Unnatural links to be removed• Less aggressive anchor text strategy• Greater need for link worthiness• All links should be justified
6. Social Can Be Difficult to Justify….. • Links Still a major factor • Anchor text diversity • Can be difficult to justify Changes to Google Mean We Have To Justify Social Activity….
7. Social Justification OutreachContent Social Relationships Ranking Signals
9. People Link to People
10. Outreach 3x More Effective
11. Branded3 Tweet Test
12. Tweets & Rankings
13. Caveats Correlation not causation More Tweets = More LinksImpossible to isolate all factors
14. Content• Understanding the customer journey Awareness After Care Consideration Purchase Recommendation
15. Social Signals• http://www.blueglass.com/blog/secrets-of-viral-content/• Good content always gets far fewer links than it gets social shares• Make sure that you build social shares at the same time as you get links to make your link building appear natural
16. Typical Social/Link Process Social/Content Source Authority Agree on Unique Idea Publisher Content Content Create Viral Push Story to Published with Content Sourced Blogs Link Monitor Alerts for Submit to social Link sites Opportunities
17. Key Points • If your site isn’t share worthy find a site that is and partner • Seek feedback on ideas before launch • Try to use commercial keywords in your title • Prime 10 – 15 bloggers before go live and provide them with a unique piece of content to publish • Develop relationships with people on Twitter, Facebook, Digg & Reddit etc….
18. Link ability vs. Share ability Share Ability Link Ability
19. What Works?
20. Tweets as Links? • Giveaways and competitions • 1872 tweets • 10th most shared page
24. Search Plus Your World• Sharing is important for long term visibility and organic traffic
28. More than rankings… • Organic traffic through shared referrals and brand • Increase in followers / reach • Relationship development compliments outreach • Increase in referral traffic and brand awareness • People link to people not just pages SEO is about driving traffic that converts and developing relationships that can leverage campaigns.