The enterprising use of
Tiffany St James
Linked In / Twitter / Facebook / Skype …..tiffanystjames
• How individuals, small businesses,
government, charities and causes are now
using social media to create, connect,
share and engage with their audiences.
Who is doing it well?
Ford Fiesta – The campaign
• The Ford Fiesta has come to play on the
American roads. In the ultimate foreign
exchange program, our 100 agents will
spend 6 months behind the wheel of their
own Fiesta, lifestreaming their experiences,
and completing monthly missions to show
you what the Fiesta is all about.
Ford Fiesta – What happened?
• You Tube competition
– why I should be an agent
• Free fiesta and gas for
6 months for posting
1 video a month
• Brand and agent giving and getting
Ford Fiesta - Response
• 100 Ford Fiesta agents
• 6.5 million YouTube views
• 3.4 million impressions on Twitter
• 670,000 Flickr photos uploaded
• 50,000 requests for info from non-ford owners
• Sold 10,000 units in first 6 days of release
• Fraction of the cost of national advertising campaign
• Next: Reimagining the way The FF get advertised
• The element of surprise: Chatroulette
Pespi Refresh Project
• What is the project all about?
Medium and small businesses
Low budget, effective marketing
Blendtec – quintupled sales
Here’s what Blendtec do online
CEO Tom Dickson and the R&D team
had a practice of testing wooden
boards to test product toughness
• Retail sales up 700%
• 5.8million channel views
• 142.3million upload views
• YouTube 330,000 subscribers
• The Today Show, The Wall Street Journal
Local two-way reporting
Collaborative policy making
• NUS and DECC
• Shared vision
• Act on Copenhagen
• Mixed Ink
Charities, voluntary and
Social for good
Crowdsourcing for good
Ushahidi – how it works
Ushahidi - Haiti
Do the green thing
Not forgetting Amazero.com
Power to the people
Democracy in action?
Power to the lobby
Trafigura,Twitter & The Guardian
Dutch Transplantation Foundation
Individuals vs Businesses
Showing solidarity - #IAmSpartucus
Showing solidarity - #welovebaskers
What can we learn from all of
The tipping point framework works
‘Recommended’ trust has changed..
And if people think 76% of advertisers lie...
Consider how you can….
• Identify, empower and enable your
• 90 – 9 – 1
With hundreds of millions of people on social networks..
Estimated monthly usage
And forecast growth..
Only fools rush in without a plan..
Ensure you have good social content:
• Friendly voice and tone
• Consistent language across channels
• Helpful and timely
• ..... Would you want to pass it on?
Digital Strategy • Employee Engagement • Digital Training
With kind thanks to..
• Colleen Carrington
• Social Lens
• 2009 Yanklovich Survey - People think 76% of advertisers lie
• Global Web Index Oct 2010 - Trust has changed
• Carringtom Quantcast data May 2010 - Social networks how people spend time
• Forrester and Gartner research various