Lived in Normandy, France and areas of
England and Wales.
Their ancestors were the Vikings
Why did the Normans come to Ireland?
• Invited to Ireland by Dermot Mc Murragh
• Dermot was the king of Leinster, but was
driven out of his homeland
Dermot Mc Murragh
Dermot Mc Murragh in trouble
• He went to King Henry II for help.
• Henry wouldn’t help but wrote him a letter giving
permission for others to help
• Finally, Dermot got Richard de Clare (Strongbow
to help. He made a deal with him.
King Henry II Richard de Clare
The Normans arrive
• The Normans landed in Wexford in 1169
• They captured Wexford and Waterford
• Strongbow married Aoife, Dermot’s daughter
• Strongbow became king of Leinster when
Normans in battle
Look at the chain mail, and lances.
What advantages did horses bring?
• In 1176 Strongbow granted the manor of
Maynooth to Maurice Fitzgerald
• Fitzgerald erected a castle for protection against
the native Irish.
• It was most likely a wooden castle at first.
Gradually the Fitzgeralds rebuilt it in stone.
• Maynooth Castle was sited between two
rivers. There may have also been a moat
• The guard tower had arrow and crossbow