DICTIONARY MEANINGDICTIONARY MEANING
• consistently good in qualityconsistently good in quality
or performance.or performance.
• Able to be trusted.Able to be trusted.
reliable source of informationreliable source of information
QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVEQUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE
• What does it mean to be reliable?What does it mean to be reliable?
• What is being unreliable?What is being unreliable?
• How does reliability pay ?How does reliability pay ?
This presentation will answer those questionsThis presentation will answer those questions..
QUALITIES OFQUALITIES OF
BEING UNRELIABLEBEING UNRELIABLE
• Renege on promises.Renege on promises.
• Caught up in ownCaught up in own
• you are not important.you are not important.
REASONS FOR UNRELIABILITYREASONS FOR UNRELIABILITY
PERSONAL SITUATIONSPERSONAL SITUATIONS
• The person may have lied to get out of anThe person may have lied to get out of an
uncomfortable or awkward situation and neveruncomfortable or awkward situation and never
intended to do what he said.intended to do what he said.
• A person at work is often late on completingA person at work is often late on completing
assignments, either because they are too difficult orassignments, either because they are too difficult or
he gets sidetracked with more interesting activities.he gets sidetracked with more interesting activities.
His boss and fellow workers consider him unreliable.His boss and fellow workers consider him unreliable.
EXAMPLES OF UNRELIABILITYEXAMPLES OF UNRELIABILITY
• You cannot count on a person who is known toYou cannot count on a person who is known to
be unreliable to follow through on what he orbe unreliable to follow through on what he or
she has promised to do.she has promised to do.
• A person who is unreliable at work us sayingA person who is unreliable at work us saying
that the job is not as important to them as somethat the job is not as important to them as some
other activity would be awkward, so you don'tother activity would be awkward, so you don't
HOW RELIABLEHOW RELIABLE YOU ARE?YOU ARE?
• Have you always completed your assignedHave you always completed your assigned
work in time?work in time?
• Do you keep your promises?Do you keep your promises?
• Do you consistently show up on time?Do you consistently show up on time?
• Can people rely on you without excuses?Can people rely on you without excuses?
BEING RELIABLEBEING RELIABLE
• A reliable person is one who has a track recordA reliable person is one who has a track record
of doing what he or she promised to do.of doing what he or she promised to do.
• Being considered reliable means that you areBeing considered reliable means that you are
conscious and keep your promises. A reliableconscious and keep your promises. A reliable
person does not make excusesperson does not make excuses..
WHY BE RELIABLE?WHY BE RELIABLE?
• Reliable man livesReliable man lives
with confidence and awith confidence and a
clear conscience.clear conscience.
• forges deeperforges deeper
• receives greaterreceives greater
• given more freedomgiven more freedom
• gains a reputation forgains a reputation for
• leads a simpler life.leads a simpler life.
MAXIMS FOR RELIABILITYMAXIMS FOR RELIABILITY
• Keep your promises.Keep your promises.
• Don’t overpromiseDon’t overpromise..
• Manage expectations.Manage expectations.
• Don’t leave otherDon’t leave other
people hanging.people hanging.
• Whatever you do, doWhatever you do, do
it well.it well.
• Be consistentBe consistent ..
• Be honestBe honest ..
• Be punctualBe punctual ..
• Don’t collapse inDon’t collapse in
• Be fair and consistentBe fair and consistent
in rewards andin rewards and
RELIABILITY IN TEAM WORKRELIABILITY IN TEAM WORK
• Reliability is one of theReliability is one of the
foundations of Teamwork andfoundations of Teamwork and
• It allows people to workIt allows people to work
together ,share various thingstogether ,share various things
and take care of themselves.and take care of themselves.
IMPORTANCE OF RELIABILITYIMPORTANCE OF RELIABILITY
• Be sure to prove to othersBe sure to prove to others
why you deserve theirwhy you deserve their
appreciation by takingappreciation by taking
advantage of everyadvantage of every
opportunity to achieve youropportunity to achieve your
RELIABILITY VSRELIABILITY VS
• Reliability is related to your consistentReliability is related to your consistent
performance of a person.performance of a person.
• Accountability is related to your willingness toAccountability is related to your willingness to
accepting responsibility.accepting responsibility.
• A reliable person has a track record of keepingA reliable person has a track record of keeping
• You can't count on such a person. The benefitsYou can't count on such a person. The benefits
of being reliable include promotions at work,of being reliable include promotions at work,
better personal relationships, and increasedbetter personal relationships, and increased
IF YOU PROMISE SOMETHING ,KEEPIF YOU PROMISE SOMETHING ,KEEP
THAT PROMISE.THAT PROMISE.