2. Introduc7ons Lichi Wu Director, Mone:za:on Solu:ons – APAC Connect with Us: firstname.lastname@example.org @lichiwu @millennialmedia Get Started: mMedia.com
3. Have a Mone7za7on Plan It’s never to early to start thinking about how you’ll mone7ze your applica7on. Think of mone7za7on as a product feature.
4. Mobile Apps & Media Media Makes Money Mobile Apps Are Media
5. Exponential Growth of Mobile!Android “phone” adop7on has ramped even faster – nearly 6x iPhone
6. Exponential Growth of Mobile!1.1B Global Smartphone Subscribers 42% Growth Q4:12 @ Only 17% of Mobile Subscribers
7. Mobile Consump7on Versus Other Major Media Year over Year, Growth of Time Spent on Mobile Has Exceeded Television
8. Know Your Users to Grow Your Opportunity Where are they located? What devices do they use? What opera7ng system do they use? How long do they stay? How ocen do they use your app?
9. Which Mone7za7on Strategy is Right for You? Paid Downloads § Mone:ze on the front end, but the plaJorm takes 30%. § Develop loyal user base, but it’s harder to scale. § Less compe::on in the app stores, but HIGHER expecta:ons from users ul:mately sets the stage for mone:za:on. VS In-‐App Purchases Mobile Adver7sing § Na:ve in-‐game enhancements to drive up-‐sales; Seeing broad range from $0.99-‐$99. § Examples include weapons, hints, level-‐ups, Avatars, etc. § Hard to ﬁnd sweet spot for “whales” without driving away minnows. § Mone:ze your non-‐spending users — “The 99%” § Plug-‐n-‐play banners, rich media & video ads § Deliver targeted ads via loca:on & demographic metadata VS
10. Which Mone7za7on Strategy is Right for You? Paid Downloads § Mone:ze on the front end, but the plaJorm takes 30% § Develop loyal user base, but it’s harder to scale § Less compe::on in the app stores, but HIGHER expecta:ons from users ul:mately sets the stage for mone:za:on In-‐App Purchases Mobile Adver7sing § Na:ve in-‐game enhancements to drive up-‐sales; Seeing broad range from $0.99-‐$99 § Examples include weapons, hints, level-‐ups, Avatars, etc. § Hard to ﬁnd sweet spot for “whales” without driving away minnows. § Mone:ze your non-‐spending users — “The 99%” § Plug-‐n-‐play banners, rich media & video ads § Deliver targeted ads via loca:on & demographic metadata How About All Three?
11. Real World Examples!Paid Apps In-‐App Purchases Mobile Adver7sing
12. Paid Applica7ons Would you pay?
13. In-‐App Purchases Virtual Goods & Extra Features § Coins § Avatars § Level Ups Subscrip7ons § Magazines § Newspapers
14. Mobile Adver7sing Source: eMarketer, Dec 2012 Mobile Adver7sing is a $8.41B Market Worldwide
15. Work With A Trusted, Independent Industry Leader Source: IDC, December 2011 MOBILE DISPLAY ADVERTISING MARKET SHARE Mobile-‐First Focus § Founded in 2006 by mobile, adver:sing and media innovators § Not part of a major PC internet portal or search engine § We don’t sell handsets or own an app store § Mobile adver:sing is what we do
16. Your Partners Should Be More Than One Dimensional Fill Rate • Campaign diversity • Ability to deliver brand & performance campaigns across all pricing models Adver7ser Quality • Premium adver:ser demand • Adver:sers span all adver:sing ver:cals eCPM • Brand focus • Rich media crea:ve execu:ons • Advanced targe:ng solu:ons
17. Have A Plan DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE § Integrate ads early in your development process § Include ads as part of your tes:ng plan § We’re here to help every step of the way
18. Enable All Ad Formats To Make More Money BANNERS 1 RICH MEDIA 2 3 INTERACTIVE VIDEO
19. Banner Ads WHY ADVERTISERS USE BANNER ADS To connect with their target audiences economically and eﬃciently across a broad range of inventory YOUR OPPORTUNITY § Exposure to both premium performance and brand adver:sers § Ads typically provide higher ﬁll rates
20. Rich Media Ads WHY ADVERTISERS USE RICH MEDIA ADS YOUR OPPORTUNITY § Exposure to premium brand adver:sers § Ads typically provide higher eCPMs § A high visibility opportunity that maximizes exposure and creates buzz for brands § A ﬂexible ad format, oﬀering a wide variety of features and ac:ons that can be layered within the experience
21. Interac7ve Video Ads WHY ADVERTISERS USE INTERACTIVE VIDEO ADS YOUR OPPORTUNITY § Exposure to premium brand adver:sers § Ads typically provide excep:onally high eCPMs § Available for iOS and Android § To capture the ajen:on of their target audience and inspire ac:on § The variety of interac:ve features, from m-‐commerce to social, empowers brands to build a brand experience that can only be delivered via mobile EXPERIENCE IT
22. The Importance of Ad Placement EFFECTIVE PLACEMENT § Ads that are not intrusive, but clearly visible. § Ads that are appropriately sized. § Ads that use the appropriate transi:on or open space on the page. § Only one ad on a page. INEFFECTIVE PLACEMENT § Ads that are placed near ac:on bujons or interfere with user experience. § Ads in a loca:on that can contribute to accidental, “fat ﬁnger” clicks § Ads that are cut oﬀ or have poor resolu:on. VS
23. Make Your Inventory Stand Out § High volume and click through rate § Enable engaging rich media and video ad units § Pass available metadata – data that your users have agreed to share with your applica:on and given you permission to share with us. This includes loca:on, gender, age and income. § Integrate ads early in your development process and include adver:sing in your tes:ng plan.
24. Why Millennial Media Proven Technology Mobile adver:sing is our singular focus. From innova:ve SDKs to insighJul repor:ng, our technology backbone can help power your business. Developer Focused Comprehensive suite of mobile adver:sing and mone:za:on tools to drive revenue and downloads. Cross-‐Plakorm We support iOS, Android, Windows Phone, mobile web and more across more than 7,500 devices from smartphones, to tablets, to feature phones. Extensive Support Deep exper:se in mobile and technology, coupled with ﬂexible full-‐ and self-‐service adver:sing and mone:za:on solu:ons.
25. Proven Mobile Plakorm
26. Mone7za7on Tools for Developers Client Ads Sell ad campaigns to your own clients and use our ad-‐serving technology to run them in your app In-‐app Adver7sing Leverage our mobile adver:sing plaJorm to put ads from our premium adver:sers in your app. House Ads Create an ad campaign to promote your apps on your own inventory GROW YOUR BUSINESS WITH IN-‐APP ADVERTISING
27. Adver7sing Tools for Developers Control Mobile Ad Crea7ve Use the crea:ve gallery to upload, create and organize your mobile banner ads. Reach Your Target Audience Leverage a variety of targe:ng op:ons -‐ including geographic, OS, OS version and device type -‐to ensure your message reaches the right mobile users. Track & Measure Campaigns Get the campaign insights and repor:ng you need to make smart adver:sing decisions. Easy-‐to-‐Manage Ad Campaigns An eﬀec:ve mobile adver:sing solu:on that allows you to easily put money earned from mone:zing applica:ons with us toward your own mobile adver:sing eﬀorts. DRIVE DOWNLOADS & ACQUIRE NEW USERS WITH MOBILE ADVERTISING
28. Lichi Wu Director of Global Mone:za:on Solu:ons, APAC lwu@MillennialMedia.com @lichiwu THANK YOU! Please visit mMedia.com to get started today. Receive a $100 mMedia adver:sing credit when you spend $1 to drive installs of your app. Use promo code GMS!13LW^k when you create a mobile ad campaign on mMedia.com. Limited Time Oﬀer for PlugFest Anendees!