What is a location? What is the earth like? Lat, Lon. Altitude? GPS?South, West, North, land up in the same place. Where? North Pole!
Indeed, everything’s a shape. Introdice the woeidDirections - Distances - Geometry, 'speed' affects decision to take a route - Calculating Distances, Radial Distances, Routing, Nearest Place etc.
Anyone with an iphone here? [mention the arrow]Geolocationapi / geoip resolution http://isithackday.com/hacks/geo/distance.php
People don't think in tuples/ lat lon pairs- Named places, Listings, POIs. Addresses.
Mention delhi – east timor, michigan, etchttp://isithackday.com/geoplanet-explorer/index.php?start=Delhiselect name,country from geo.places(100) where text='Delhi'
Talk about OSM at lengthhttp://maps.stamen.com/watercolor/#12/37.7706/-122.3782<- wow
1. LOCATE YOUR HACKSSunil Pai, Y!
2. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION“irl”
3. “COORDINATES” 4
4. “PLACES” ARE NOT POINTSprotip- neither are directions! 5
5. CURRENT LOCATIONhttp://isithackday.com/hacks/geo/distance.php
6. WOEIDs and morehttp://developer.yahoo.com/geo/geoplanet/guide/concepts.html#woeids
7. NO STANDARDSTōkyō-to, Shinjuku-ku, Nishishinjuku, −No. 512-A, 2nd Cross, 5th main, Opp. Water Tank27 Escombe Ave, Johannesburg 2193, South Africa 8
8. LET’S GO MEET THE SIMPSONS 9
9. BIG UNSTRUCTUREDDATABring out the big guns.
11. DATACheatsheet!scan your text and extract “places”select * from geo.placemaker where documentContent = "aruba, jamaica, ooh I wanna take ya" anddocumentType="text/plain"find details about a place-select name,country from geo.places(100) where text=Delhi’find what places are at a pointselect * from geo.placefinder where text=12.973111, 77.611541748 and gflags=R’geographical info of a placeselect placeTypeName, name from geo.places.belongtos where member_woeid in (select woeid fromgeo.places where text="New Delhi, India" limit 1) 12