1. 100 Years War and BlackDeathScientific Advances whichcontradicted the ChurchThe Corruption within theCatholic Church
2. Prior to the Reformation allChristians were Roman CatholicThe [REFORM]ation was an attemptto REFORM the Catholic ChurchPeople like Martin Luther wanted toget rid of the corruption and restorethe people’s faith in the church
3. In the end the reformers, likeLuther, established their ownreligionsThe Reformation caused a split inChristianity with the formation ofthese new Protestant religions
4. Martin LutherJohn CalvinHenry VIII
5. Lived from 1483-1546 inGermanyFather encouraged himto study lawA sudden religiousexperience inspired him tobecome a monk
6. He became troubled over thepossibility of not going toheavenHe turned to the Bible, andconfession for comfortIn the Bible he found theanswer he was looking for
7. “The righteous shall by hisfaith.”Luther realized that only faith (inthe ultimate goodness of Jesus), notgood deeds, could save a person. Nogood works, rituals, etc. would save aperson if they did not believe.
8. A list of things he thoughtwere wrong with the CatholicChurch (95 Complaints)He criticized:The Power of the PopeThe Extreme Wealth of theChurchIndulgences (Catholicconcept of Salvation)
9. Gutenberg’s Printing Press made itpossible for Luther to spread hisbeliefsPosted his 95 Theses on Churchdoors in GermanyGained support from people andcriticism from Church
10. •The first thingprinted onGutenberg’spress was theBible.•This is apicture of apage from oneof Gutenberg’sBibles.
11. Some Local German Churchesaccepted Luther’s ideasSupported by German Princeswho issued a formal “protest”against the Church for suppressingthe reformsThe reformers came to be knownas [PROTEST]ants - Protestants
12. Started in Switzerland –CalvinistsEngland = PuritansScotland = PresbyteriansHolland = Dutch ReformFrance = HuguenotsGermany = Reform Church