This is a power point presentation that I have designed for my students as a study guide for a test they will be taking over the book, “the catcher in the rye.”
This list of main characters is provided so the students know who to focus on while studying for their examination
I want the students to know the plot of the story. I want them to know where and when the story takes place. I also want them to understand what transitions the main character Holden is going through.
Themes will be a very important part of this test. I want the students to understand what is being presented to them. The book offers many themes but these are the three that the test will focus on.
Motifs, or reoccurring themes and ideas are very important parts of this test also. This slide lists the motifs that I want the students to focus on.
Understanding symbolism is also a very important part of this test. I want the students to be able to look past the literal meaning of these things and give me an in depth explanation of what these objects could represent.
Last but not least I would like the students to know some information on the author of this book. These slides will be all that the student needs to direct them in their studying for this test.
1. The Catcher In The Rye<br />Power Point by: Jeff Thomson<br />Test Review <br />
2. Characters<br /><ul><li>Holden Caulfield
5. Jane Gallagher
6. Phoebe Caulfield
7. Allie Caulfield
8. D.B. Caulfield
9. Mr. Spencer
10. Carl Luce
11. Mr. Antolini
13. Sunny</li></li></ul><li>Plot<br />Set in 1950’s<br />Holden as narrator<br />Takes place in New York City<br />Holden matures throughout story <br />
17. Symbols<br />Holden’s Hunting cap<br />The ducks in central park<br />The “catcher in the rye”<br />The museum of natural history <br />
18. About The Author <br />J.D. Salinger<br />Born 1919<br />New York City<br />Catcher in the Rye (1951)<br />
19. Citations<br />"The Catcher in the Rye." http://catchingsalinger.files.wordpress.com. Web. 24 Mar 2010.<br />"Holden Caulfield ." http://www.smvblog.com/smv_lit_society/wp-content. Web. 24 Mar 2010.<br />"Salinger." http://www.aliceeuphemia.com/news/wp-content. Web. 24 Mar 2010<br />"J. D. Salinger." The Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2008. Encyclopedia.com. 24 Mar. 2010 <http://www.encyclopedia.com>.<br />"387606063_408c203f6c." http://farm1.static.flickr.com. Web. 24 Mar 2010.<br />"Broken-Heart." http://thevinylvillage.files.wordpress.com. Web. 24 Mar 2010.<br />"Red_Hunting_Hat_2_by_cadet." http://i678.photobucket.com/albums. Web. 24 Mar 2010.<br />"Holden ." http://redmarketer.files.wordpress.com. Web. 24 Mar 2010.<br />
20. Michigan English Language Proficiency Standards <br />R.1.2.2 Recognize Concepts of Print Literacy <br />R.5.2.2 Read and demonstrate comprehension of main ideas and supporting details <br />R.10.2.2;3.1 Identify author’s voice, attitude, and point of view<br />