3. What is changed inourLifestyle ascompared to ourgrand parents?
4. 1. Minimal physical exertion in most of the jobs2. Availability of transport vehicles, so there is no need to walk
5. What can you preventby choosing a betterlifestyle?
6. Easy access to cigarettes, alcohol,tobacco and drugs of addiction
7. entertainment which makes you sitat one place, all throughout theyeari.e. T. V, , Computer, Music systemetc
8. Advances in medical field due towhich people are living up to olderage
9. And many more . . . . .
10. What are we getting inreturn?
11. Lifestyle relateddiseases
12. DiabetesHigh blood pressureHigh cholesterolHeart disease at early age
13. ObesityArthritis, spondylitisCavities in teethGoutCancer
14. AND MANYMORE…………………………………………
15. What can we do?We are so busy.
16. Simple things that can bechanged in daily life without much effort
17. 1. Walk Where? To a nearby grocery shop than going on bike To a nearby department at your workplace than talking on phone
18. For example I want to speak to mycolleague. I have two options1. To call on her mobile and discuss2. Walk to the department and talk directly
19. 2. Switch off T.V. while eating We don’t understand whenwe are full and overeat if we donot concentrate on eating
20. Avoid processed food as it contains1. Refined flours like maida2. Artificial colors and preservatives3. Most of the time , it is high in salt even though the taste is not salty
21. Some exercise like walking,swimming , stretching,suryanamaskar etc , even for10 minutes a day is better thanno exercise
22. At home, one can be moreactive by making simplechanges in roomEg Sitting down for mealsinstead of using a dining table
23. We can choose activities thatinvolve physical exercise when wespend spare timeEgPlaying an outdoor game withfriends rather than watching it onT.V.Going out for a walk with friendrather than sitting and talking
24. We do not get enough sunshineeven though plenty is available inour country Indoor job minimal outdoor activities
25. How does sunshine help us?Vitamin D is produced in the skin whensun rays fall on it.Vitamin D makes your bones and muscles strongerIt is known to have other good effects like protection from various cancersand heart diseases
26. Include good amount of fiber in diet
27. Fibre is that portion ofvegetarian diet which ourdigestive system cannotdigest. Though it isultimately completelythrown out of our body instools, it has numeroushealth benefits.
28. High fibre diet helps to preventcommon diseases of urbanpopulation like:ObesityHigh cholesterolDiabetes mellitusCardiovascular diseasesConstipationColon cancerIrritable bowel syndrome etcPiles
29. I Most of the UNPROCESSED VEGETARIAN food has good fiber content
30. 1. Eat fresh whole fruit instead of fruit juice2. Carry food items like an apple, a banana , a mixture of roasted peanuts etc at workplace and eat it when hungry instead of eating food available in canteen like samosa, bread, etc
31. High salt intake can cause various health problems likeHigh blood pressureObesityHeart disease
32. How much sodium should we eat daily?1. One to two grams2. Ten grams3. As much as we want4. None at all
33. • One to two grams
34. One teaspoon [ 5 grams] salt contains how much sodium?1. one gram2. two grams3. ten grams4. one milligram
35. • Two grams
36. Most of the salt we eat every day is "hidden".80% of the salt we eat is hiding in processed foods like bread
37. Hidden saltSome foods that do not taste salty may have high sodiumEg bread tomato sauce cakes and biscuits. take-away foods, such chips, etc Chinese food processed cheese
38. If you buy a packed food item e.g. bread, how will you find out how much salt it contains?1. ask the shopkeeper2. read the label3. ask your doctor4. taste it and find out
39. How will you effectively read the label?Any ingredient that has sodium, salt or soda as part of its name (e.g. monosodium glutamate, baking soda) contains sodium.
40. Sodium level in food [in gram per 100 gram]• Low - 0.1 or less• Medium - 0.1-0.6g• High - 0.6 or more
41. • Do not get mislead by mere words like healthy cholesterol free low fat natural etc etcAsk questions to yourself and try to get correct answers