1. Thomas Faulkner A2 Coursework Evaluation 1. In what way does yourmedia product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions?
2. The VideoLocations – Use Conventions Within the research the Indie genre, especially Bombay Bicycle Club used sub urban locations, including housing estates. I have incorporated this convention within the video by having the character leave his Bombay Bicycle Club – Always Like This house to let the audience know he is in a house estate. Within the Shuffle video of Bombay Bicycle Club, there were locations within The band also was frequently located cities that were clean and had historic in green areas of cities and urban elements in them. We therefore used areas such as parks. Therefore, by location shots that had historic landmarks using the park behind the church we in them such as York Minster and The were able to follow this convention. Shambles. Bombay Bicycle Club - Shuffle Bombay Bicycle Club – Always Like This
3. The Video Costumes – Use / Develop Conventions We have used similar clothing to the videos within the genre. Within the video there is no clothing that is striking that would challenge the conventions. Bombay Bicycle Club – Rinse Me DownThe Converse shoes are an iconicconvention of the Indie genre andwe wanted to develop thisconvention of footwear toconnote a worn out, old vintagefeel to help create the theme ofthe video. So we thereforefeatured the shoes in a variety ofclose ups throughout the video tocreate this. Maccabees – First Love
4. The VideoNarrative – Develops ConventionsIn several videos of the Indie genre, theband would be apart and then cometogether to play to the song. TheEvening/Morning is an example of this themain character is running from men andthen joins his band. We found it interestinghow the singer found the band in the streetand started to play to the song. Wetherefore had the idea of the bandmembers being in the street busking andthen they would join together at the end ofthe video which would develop theconvention. Bombay Bicycle Club – Evening/Morning
5. The Video Colour Grading – Uses ConventionsThe Indie genre, mostly Bombay Bicycle Club have veryde saturated looking videos. With sometimes a colourgrading which will give the video a warm or cold feel forexample. I added a warm colour grading as well asreducing the saturation of the original clips which makesthe video use the conventions of the Indie music videosfurther. Bombay Bicycle Club – Always Like This
6. The VideoPerformance – Challenges Conventions Bombay Bicycle Club – Always Like This As the narrative of our video has the band members as buskers, they perform separately on instruments typically used by buskers, such as an acoustic guitar and street drums. Unlike conventional videos of the genre, which feature the band playing as one or the main singer of the band on his own.
7. The DigipakPaper Texture – Develops Conventions Bombay Bicycle Club have an image that reflects a rural, retro, vintage feel, especially as their albums have progressed. The Flaws single artwork has this feel to it and we have developed this convention by making the image more intense by using an explicit paper texture that reflects an old vintage, rural feel even more than previous Bombay Bicycle Club Albums.
8. The DigipakFont – Uses Conventions Bombay Bicycle Club – A Different Kind Of Fix Foals – Total Life Forever Album Back This unique logo has featured on two of the three albums that have been released by Bombay Bicycle Club as well as the singles of Shuffle and Always Like This. It creates a brand of the band and allows the audience to identify the band across its platforms. I A convention of the Indie genre is to use quite a have therefore put the logo on the digipak and uses minimalistic font selection. Many of the albums of the this convention of the band. genre do not use serifs on the fonts, which I have reflected on the digipak of this product.
9. The Digipak Photography – Uses ConventionsAn unusual convention of theband is to feature close ups ofcertain parts of thebody, which creates amysterious and gives the banda piece of recurringiconography. By having a closeup of the Converses on thefront cover of the digipak itreflects this convention. Bombay Bicycle Club – Flaws Digipak
10. The AdvertComposition – Uses Conventions A very common convention of the Indie genre promotional adverts is that they feature the title of the band at the top, the information about the single or album and its release date, then a photo and finally extra information such as website and record label information at the bottom. By following this composition of objects on the advert we have used this convention successfully.
11. The Advert Photography – Uses ConventionsThe photographs that I have analysed in the Indie genrehas a warm, slightly vintage feel and by grading thephoto with filters and contrasting we have reflected thisconvention.Finally the photo that is featured on the advertconventionally features the members of the bandposing, introducing them to the audience directly. Bycomposing our band in this way we are following thisconvention.