Now that you’ve got your site up and running you
should give some thought as to how to look after it...
Hardening WordPress - Best Practice
• Backing Up
• Keep your site Updated - Core, Plugins, Themes
• Being vigilant about the plugins you use - keeping
aware of updates OSVDB.org -
• Smart Passwords
• Protecting your WordPress using .htaccess
Backing Up: What are the Options?
Free or Paid? Database or Full Site? Or just site files?
• BackWPup - http://wordpress.org/plugins/backwpup/
• Backup to DropBox - http://wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-backup-to-dropbox/
• Backup Buddy - http://ithemes.com/purchase/backupbuddy/
• VaultPress - http://vaultpress.com
• CodeGuard - https://www.codeguard.com/
• Cloudsafe365 - http://cloudsafe365.com
Being smart about Plugins and Themes
• Highly Rated and Good Reviews
• Recently Updated
• Multiple Downloads
• Response time and Unanswered Posts in Support Forums
Different for Every Site
The Longer the Better
Easy to remember
or in a Password Keeper
Other Security Measures
• Google Webmaster Tools
• Sucuri - Discount available in BackupBuddy http://sucuri.net
• VaultPress - Basic Plan (not Lite) http://vaultpress.com
Paid - Real Time Monitoring
Double Opt In Logins
• Google Authenticator - plugin
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.