1. Children Soldiers
10A World Literature/Composition
This image is used under a CC license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hdptcar/1514581262/sizes/l/in/photostream/
2. War dragged on in Sierra
Leone for a good ten years.
Thousands of children's lives
changed for the worst.
3. Civil War 1991-2002
4. Revolutionary United Front (RUF)
This image was used under a CC license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hdptcar/1140629395/sizes/l/in/photostream/
5. This image was used under a CC license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zomgitsbrian/3590665627/sizes/l/in/photostream/
This image was used under a CC license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hdptcar/1514616420/sizes/l/in/photostream/
This image was used under a CC license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brothaloveimages/1667573350/sizes/o/in/photostream/
8. Scarred with the memories of war
This Image was used under a CC license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hdptcar/949798984/#
9. This Picture is used under a CC license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/travlr/83149640/sizes/o/in/photostream/
This image was used under a CC license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/julien_harneis/3223056476/
This image was used under a license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/donut2d/149144396/
12. “Sometimes I closed my eyes hard to avoid thinking, but the
eye of my mind refused to be closed and continued to plague
me with images.” (Beah, pg. 49)
This image was used under a CC license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tribalicious/412877689/sizes/z/in/photostream/
This image was used under a CC license from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roland_urbanek/4712166155/
14. Work Cited
• “AK-47: the Sierra Leone child soldier.” BBC news. BBC news, 6 Dec. 2005.
Web. 22 Oct. 2010. <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4500358.stm>. This
article was very interesting. It is a newspaper article about how modern
weapons improve the efficency of children soldiers. It also provided specific
details about the issue. The newspaper proved its self reliable.
• Beah, Ishmael. A Long Way Gone. New York: Sarah Crichton, 2007. Print. We
used this book to provide the basis for our informatiuon. It helped use come
up with questions and some answers. It is a first hand acount of what
• “Child soldiers.” war child. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2010.
soldiers?gclid=COKZ0Zr28KQCFc9a7AodEmbm1A>. This resource gives a lot
background imformation. It is not specificaly children soldiers in Sierra Leone,
however it provides information about how the children are treated and used.
It provieds alot of facts. We checked the publising organization to back up the
source. This organization proved to be a very crediable source
15. Work Cited
• Child Soldiers in Sierra Leone. 2003. Zenger Media. DVD. This DVD was provided by Ms. Hamilton. It was
about the UNs efforts to help children that have been rescued from life as a child soldier. It provided
background information to about the issue. It told us how they are helping the orphaned children, and
how they are trying to find their family.
• Jones, Lynne. “The boys of war.” Globe & Mail 3 Mar. 2007: n. pag. Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context.
Web. 22 Oct. 2010.
Article was conecting the book “A Long Way Gone” to the real life scenarios relateing to the issue at hand.
It was a good summary of the book and touched bases on our issue greatly. as far as evaluating this article,
I trust Gale database. I also know that this is a legitimate newspaper in Canada. This will help increase my
understanding of the book and will help me conect the book to my research.It also gave me another
opinion on the issue and how it relates to the book.
• “Military use of children.” Wikipedia. N.p., 18 Oct. 2010. Web. 26 Oct. 2010.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_use_of_children#Sierra_Leone>. This source provided a very broad
over view of the issue. THis gave us a better understanding of where to focus our research to find specific
facts. It also told us specificaly about children soldiers in Sierra Leone. We got this source from wikipedia
there were no flags on the page ,but we still check some of the information to make sure it was reliable.
• Richards, Paul. “Sierra Leone.” Encyclopedia of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity. Ed. Dinah L
Shelton. Vol. 2. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2005. 946-954. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 22
source provided information about the civil war in Sierra Leone. This was helpful, because it gave us a
good background to why the war is going on. The reasons why they rebals and millitary use children as
warriors. This source was an article from an encyclodidia. We checked this source and it proved its self