Apps for LearningJISC RSC YH Summer Conference13th June 2012Chris Barber
Apps for Learning
Cloud Easystorage to use Fun Clever Gives a Creative technical Time fix saving Relevant Interesting
LUPO Mini Microphone for Apple• Allows the user to record iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad meetings, classes etc.• The recording can be “bookmarked” either with text, symbols or diagrams• The recording can be emailed to a user or listened to in AudioNote (note they will need a free audio app. on their device)• The note can be transferred to your computer through iTunes and viewed as text or .pdf
Note taking with audio
Skitch• Allows the user to annotate photos, sketches, screenshots etc.• Useful for taking photos and asking questions• Questions (e.g. where am I?) can be emailed to a tutor or sent via Twitter or Facebook.• Save in EverNote for viewing later – the same people have developed it
• Check thousands of places• Pick up or make recommendations• Become the Mayor of a place• Search for particular things in a town or area• Leave tips for other visitors
• Manage your Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Foursquare accounts "HootSuite is an essential tool for managing social networks by allowing teams to efficiently track conversations and measure campaign results." - Pete Cashmore, CEO, Mashable• Manage all your social media from one app!• Can be used to
• Find you perfect hairstyle! • Use a model or take your own photo and put hair on it!• Save your picture, print it out and take to the hairdresser!!• An example of an app with real vocational value!!
• Allows the user to use genuine MS Office to create or edit documents• Works with your DropBox account • View and edit PowerPoint slides• View virtually any type of file and send in true PP mode (not as a .pdf via e.mail emulation) • Automatically saves documents • View and edit documents on any device
• Reveals old photos near your current location • Overlays them onto your screen • You can add your photos using your iPhone camera• Explore the history of an area through your iPhone using the in built GPS
• A games based learning app that supports revision for tests and exams• Create quizzes
There is an active Google doc which you can upload your ideas or simply viewhttp://bit.ly/N2wYw7
Given that apps and mobile learning are here to stay(???), can you make a brief comment on your thoughtsabout whether they have a future in teaching andlearning and even….how you might use them?
Excellence in Inclusivity Chris Barber 07966 753901 firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.jiscrsc.ac.uk/yh