4. “ GETTING GAMIFICATION RIGHT” THE WAY TO GET IT WRONG IS “POINTSIFICATION” – EVERY DAILY INTERACTION AN OPPORTUNITY TO AMASS REWARD POINTS (SEE JESSE SCHELL )
5. “ GETTING GAMIFICATION RIGHT” THE WAY TO GET IT RIGHT IS TO FOLLOW THESE PRINCIPLES: A GOOD GAME IS LIKE AN “AMPLIFIER” - THERE HAS TO BE GENUINE VALUE, INTEREST OR MOTIVATION IN THE FIRST PLACE FOR THE GAME TO BE REALLY ENGAGING In the good game, “fun is just another word for learning” (Raph Koster). You desire to attain mastery of skills... but under optimal conditions. Designing for play is like holding a bird in your hand.. “ He who must play, cannot play” - James Carse Our entry into a game is a voluntary action, guided by intrinsic not extrinsic rewards, with materials we can (sometimes) mess about with
6. “ GETTING GAMIFICATION RIGHT” DETERDING'S ADVICE “ Instead of shallow progress wars... - provide a story with meaning - a rule system to master - and a free space to play" "Be mindful of side effects and social contexts" "Learn the ropes of game design... and be a good UX (user experience) designer"
7. JESSE NORMAN'S “BIG SOCIETY” “ What, then, is Motivation 3.0? It is based on three ideas: autonomy, mastery and purpose . “Autonomy” refers to the degree of control that people have over their work; “mastery” to their desire to get better at something they care about: and “purpose” to their desire for meaning – for what they are doing to matter not merely to them but to other, or to God. People succeed – both in the world's terms and their own – when they are motivated by intrinsic rewards, not external ones . Their success is most influenced not by talent but by sheer hard work and persistence, in seeking a mastery that can never fully be realised. And the work or sport or pursuit in question is driven by the belief that, in a world of hype, it matters. Ultimately then, conviction and substance are what make the difference... Together these ideas provide huge empirical support for what we have called the “active self”... “ [The Big Society] would mean a systematic focus on empowering front-line staff and allowing them to get on with the job—giving them the ability to gain the autonomy, mastery and purpose that we have seen are the sources of creative motivation .” SPEED-READING THIS TORY MP'S GUIDE TO THE BIG SOCIETY... I CAME UPON THIS INTERESTING TRINITY OF CONCEPTS...
8. JESSE NORMAN'S “THE BIG SOCIETY” ..so is the Big Society really The Big Gamespace? If so, don't tell the boss...
9. JESSE NORMAN'S “THE BIG SOCIETY” Is it The Big Gamespace vs the “Nanny State”? “ A society which is systematically prevented from taking its desired level of risk will find itself deeply thwarted and unhappy” [citing knife crime amongst youth as symptom]... Policies that increase the scope for human self-expression & risk-taking will reduce social frustration & increase well-being”
10. THE POLITICS OF 'MEANING, MASTERY & AUTONOMY' (MMA) WHAT ENABLES MMA FOR A GAMEPLAYER? <ul><li>COMFORT </li></ul><ul><li>SECURE, DOMESTIC SPACE </li></ul><ul><li>RELIABLE, ACCESSIBLE INFRASTRUCTURE </li></ul><ul><li>FREE TIME </li></ul><ul><li>NON-DISCIPLINARY ENVIRONMENT </li></ul>
11. THE POLITICS OF 'MEANING, MASTERY & AUTONOMY' (MMA) WHAT ENABLES MMA FOR A SOCIETAL PLAYER? <ul><li>COMFORT, SATIETY </li></ul><ul><li>SECURE, DOMESTIC SPACE </li></ul><ul><li>RELIABLE, ACCESSIBLE INFRASTRUCTURE </li></ul><ul><li>FREE TIME </li></ul><ul><li>NON-DISCIPLINARY ENVIRONMENT </li></ul>… .UNDER THESE CONDITIONS!?
12. NORMAN'S BIG SOCIETY VISION OF AN “ACTIVE SELF” - FIZZING WITH ENERGY, EXTENDING THEIR CAPABILITIES, CREATIVELY MOTIVATED – IS, YES, A PLAYFUL SELF... BUT A DEFICIT-REDUCING BRITAIN DOES NOT PROVIDE PROPERLY PLAYFUL CONDITIONS MAMMALIAN PLAY FLOURISHES UNDER A PARTICULAR MIX OF RISK AND SECURITY INSIDE THE FRAME: MASTERY, MEANING, AUTONOMY – NON-FATAL RISK, EDUCATIVE INJURY, INSTRUCTIVE MESS OUTSIDE THE FRAME: PRIDE/PARENTS PROTECTING THE PLAYERS FROM PREDATION, ENABLING THEIR PLAY DO WE REALLY BELIEVE THAT THE UK COALITION GOVERNMENT'S HARD-LINE ASSESSMENT OF THE NECESSITY FOR DRASTIC DEFICIT REDUCTION, MEANING MASS PUBLIC SECTOR UNEMPLOYMENT, IS “PROTECTING PLAYERS FROM PREDATION”?
13. THE GROUND OF PLAY & THE STRENGTHS OF THE STATE WHAT KIND OF SECURITY SHOULD THE STATE PROVIDE TO ENABLE A SUSTAINABLE “SOCIETY OF PLAYERS”? PUSHING BACK THE REALM OF HETERONOMY (PAID WORK) SO THAT WE CAN EXTEND THE ZONE OF AUTONOMY (VOLUNTARY ACTION)...IN TRANSITIONAL STEPS OSCAR WILDE: “THE PROBLEM WITH SOCIALISM IS THAT IT TAKES TOO MANY EVENINGS” SOCIAL FLEXICURITY, GENERALISED SABBATICALS CULTURE, EQUAL CHILDCARE LEAVE (THAT'S COMING)
14. BIG SOCIETY: 50% right idea 100% wrong time PAT KANE WWW.THEPLAYETHIC.COM @THEPLAYETHIC