This means that we are not soley focused on a technological advancement. Some students through an in depth needs assessment discover other areas of improvement that are not technology focused but more on a process.
In the design world we have an approach that helps with this process of framing the problem and developing solutions that combine the functional with the science and business. It is called Human Centered Design or HCD. It frames problems in a way that always keep the needs of the human in the center while looking for the optimum across this different areas.
With this approach designers then can understand the context of the views who and place that they are used. It is also generative in that it creates new insights and opportunities but stepping back and looking at the overall framing issue and asking the question of where do need a view and how wide and even asking the tough question of do we need anything at all.
1. Summer Clinical Immersion University of Utah 1
2. MissionThe summer program brings together creative productdesign students and bio-engineering students in a 10 weekintensive course.
3. Structure10 weeksImmersed in clinical surgical environmentTeams of 2Student stipendsSmall prototype budget
5. Specific StepsWeek 1 - IntroductionWeek 2 - Human Centered Design / ObservationWeek 3 - Problem IdentificationWeek 4 - Problem down selectionWeek 5 - Problem statementWeek 6 - IdeationWeek 7 - Ideation down selection / constraintidentificationWeek 8 - Idea refinement / prototypingWeek 9 - Concept validationWeek 10 - Final Report
14. 1. It is about humans
15. Patchen Diversity
16. Corona Tools
17. 2. Understand the context
18. 3. Build multiple design concepts
19. 4. Involve all users
20. 5. Evaluate at all stages
21. 6. Consider the overall experience
22. Nathan Shredoff
23. 7. It takes a team
24. Healthcare is a complex humanistic experience, notsomething that is simply delivered. U of U / Health Care Innovation Lab