13. Putting a Plan togetherYou need: An understanding of your market A clear view of what you’re trying to do Some idea of the stages required to achieve thisYou should ask: What will success look like? How will you fine-tune your programme? What will you test?
14. Start at the beginning...• Where are we now?• What do we want to do?• How can we achieve all that?• What does that involve?• How precisely will it all work?• How could we do it better?
15. SOSTAC Planning framework ®PR Smith http://www.prsmith.org/sostac.html 15
16. Situation analysis• Customer characteristics and buyer behaviour• Main competitors• Positioning and challenges• Approx. assessment of size of market• SWOT analysis
22. The „Micro‟ Environment Suppliers Distributors The Customers Employees Organisation Competitors Shareholders, Luck, 2008 CreditorsIncludes Key stakeholders the organisation has a two-way operationalrelationship with.The micro environment is controllable to some degree. 22
27. Objectives• Think “Successful Outcomes”• SMART(Specific-Measurable-Achievable-Relevant-Timed) – Financial objectives – ROI – Tactical objectives – click-through rate, conversion rate• You may need to make assumptions (eg about market size and conversion rate)• Your assumptions will be guided by experience and results• Next year will be easier!
28. Terminology Business Objectives Goals “Sell more stuff”(BO) really means we have to: Metrics (a number) 1. do x* 2. improve y* KPIs 3. reduce z* *=GOALShttp://www.kaushik.net/avinash/web-analytics-101-definitions-goals-metrics-kpis-dimensions-targets/
41. Be systematicAcquisitionNatural SearchPaid searchAffiliate MarketingDisplay AdvertisingViral MarketingOnline PRSocial MediaPodcasting+++
42. For each channel, give marks out of 10 Acquisition Conversion Retention Branding Engagement Interaction Personalisation TrackingDisplayPPCSEOAffiliatesViralBlogsEmailSocialMedia
43. Start with one channel – e.g. Search...• How much can I pay per click?• What is that spend per day?• How many people will start a process?• How many will complete?• What is the conversion rate?• Cost per outcome?Q. What budget do you give your agency?
44. Digital acquisition plan• What tools will you be using?• How much will you spend?• What are the key metrics?• Present as a timeline• Ensure mix is balanced to reduce risk• Create a detailed budget...
45. Fine-tuning the programme• What will you work on to improve the plan? – Improving landing page/ web template effectiveness – Follow-up email contact strategies – Integration with offline media (direct mail)• What will you test? – Acquisition tools – Search terms – Landing pages – Email messaging – Offers
55. DIGITAL CHANNELDIGITAL CHANNEL:STRENGTHS ON ITS OWN: COMBINES WELL WITH:
56. SOSTAC Planning framework ®PR Smith http://www.prsmith.org/sostac.html 56
57. Summary• Digital marketing is ‘new’• It’s changing fast• We’re all learning• Try new things• Keep testing and learning• Find out what works and do more of it• Fit digital in alongside your offline activity
61. *Conditions apply TFM&A Special Offer… 10% off selected IDM training courses! PLUS… Free course give-away! Visit the IDM at stand A34 for more details, or go to theidm.com/academyoffertheidm.com/training twitter.com/theidm facebook.com/theidm theidm.com/idmlinkedin