Ingredients Marinade for filling:
• 1 lb wonton wrappings, • 1/2 tsp salt
preferably white one
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 1 Tbsp corn starch
• 12 oz chopped bok choy
• 1 egg: egg white only
• 12 oz pork belly, minced
If wrappings are not used immediately…
• Store wrappings in fridge with a damp cloth to maintain
moisture and freshness.
• Don’t put in freezer, because the wrappings will become
too sticky and unusable after the defrost.
1. Prepare The Meat.
Marinate minced pork and set aside.
2. Prepare The Vegetable.
• Briefly boil bok choy in
water to soften.
• Drain and squeeze out
• Soak bok choy in cold water
to keep crunchiness.
• Chop finely.
• Squeeze out excess water again -- wrapping will be damaged if the
filling is too heavy and watery.
• Save up this excess veggie water for later use.
3. Get Ready!
Throw in the minced pork for a good merry-go-round.
4. The Wrapping – Step 1
First, place the
wrapping on a big
side facing down.
Scoop up a
spoonful of fillings
and place in the
Don't be greedy -- the wrapping can't handle too much filling!
5. The Wrapping – Step 2
Fold the wrapping
diagonally to form
a triangle as
Using your fingers, very gently stroke from the center outward,
towards the edge of the triangle to remove trapped air and to
seal in the fillings.
6. The Wrapping – The Tricky Part
• Fold the lump of filling half way up.
• Bend the two sides (the quot;wingsquot;) of the triangle towards
you and press the wings together to seal.
• If the wrapping is not sticky enough, a dab of water with
your fingers on the sealing point will do the trick.
7. The Wrapping – Done!
It will form this
lovely shape if done
Enjoy wrapping the rest of the wontons. You should be able to make
around 40 pieces of wonton, generally enough for 2 adults + 2 kids.
8. The Boiling
Bring a pot of water to
boil and dump in the
The wontons are
basically cooked when
To make sure they are well cooked, the traditional way is to pour in a cup of
water at room temperature to cool down the water, and bring it to boil again.
• How to make the soup base?
• What is the use of the excess
• Want to learn from my
The Chinese Kitchen