Qualified from the Marketing Institute of
Ireland and passionate about helping
organisations achieve more from their
social media efforts.
Social Media specialist delivering regular
LinkedIn , Facebook and Twitter workshops
and talks for institutions such as MBA
Greg works with the Ahain Group as a
Social Business Consultant. He believes that
in order to make social media work for
your business you must have a clear
business goal, a clearly defined strategy and
make sure that everything you do is
• Family Members.
• College and School
• Sports or Recreational
• Business contacts –
ex- co-workers and
• Targeted individuals.
• Networking events
and Job Fairs.
How to build a Network
5. The Follow Up
• Send a follow up
• Connect on LinkedIn.
• Organise a face to
• Stay in touch.
• Believe in yourself and be positive.
• Know who you are targeting.
• Don’t do all the talking….listen, listen, listen, listen.
• Dress to make a great 1st Impression. But don’t judge others…we
don’t know who they are and who they may know.
• Know your story – Who you are, what you do, what you are
looking for and what value you can offer an employer.
• Carry and collect business cards.
• Always follow up with new connections. Connect on LinkedIn
and build a business relationship.
• Stay in touch with your network.
• 270 Million Users worldwide.
• 70% of LinkedIn users are decision makers.
• 48% of the users in the US (9% India, 6% UK).
• 1 Million + users in Ireland.
• Average age of global users is 25-45.
• 60% Male 40% Female.
• 12% of all users say they are in a Sales function.
• 78% of US Companies using LinkedIn to recruit.
Check Privacy Settings
• Turn off your activity broadcasts
when giving your LinkedIn Profile
• Change your account visibility to
annonomous if you do not want a
LinkedIn connection to know you
have been viewing their profile.
Step 1: Make your profile
ü Add a Quality Photo.
ü Spend time on your Bio and
Experience. Write a great summary.
ü Get Recommendations
Spend time and get your Profile to All Star status.
What is your Headline?
ü Click Edit Profile. Click Edit below
ü Add detail of who you are and
what you do.
Step 2: Add Connections
Building Up Connections
• Old school Friends.
• College Friends and staff
• Business Contacts.
• Target Individuals.
Add notes & set reminders
• Connect your Gmail
or Outlook account.
• Make Notes about
(Only visible to you)
• Set Reminders –
Great for call backs.
• Tag your contacts.
This effictively allows
you to organise your
Step 3: Stand out
Personalise your LinkedIn Account and
Stand Out From the Crowd.
1. Make sure you have a Unique URL.
2. Add Company website, Blog
address and personalise the
3. Rearrange your headings to stand
4. Use Keywords to attract new
Step 4: Add links, photos
Add Images & Links to your profile
Step 4 cont……
Add Video and Image Links to your Profile
• Add Video to the Summary, Work
and Education sections of your
• Add a Powerpoint Presentation to
your profile using SlideShare.net.
• Update your status by adding the
link to your latest blog post.
• Upload a Powerpoint
Presentation and add
to your profile. Tell
an employer who you
are and what value
you can offer.
• Map a YouTube video
to Slideshare and
showcase a “Reasons
To Hire Me” video.
Meet Jordan McDonnell
Meet Jordan McDonnell
• 100K views in 2
• 10+ Job
• 2 Dream job
• 1 New Job.
Step 5: Update
Update your status and Personalise
• Update your status
• Tag individuals that you
want to see your updates.
• Personalise all
Step 6: Groups
Join and participate in Groups.
• Find Relevant Groups.
• Make new Contacts.
• Demonstrate your expertise.
• Ask Questions.
• Get advice from experts.
• Be Seen and let employers find
Step 6: Groups cont…
Look at the Groups where IT employers are
Fancy a New CV?
• Go to -
• Sign in with your
• Create your CV or
• Other option for creating
an online cv –
10 LinkedIn Tips
1. Complete your profile. Make sure it sells your skills
2. Use a URL like http://ie.linkedin.com/in/gregfry and
add to your cv and email signatures.
3. Add Rich links. Eg. SlideShare.net
4. Update your status regularly. (Demonstrate your
skills and passion)
5. Investigate who your connections are connected to.
6. Search for connections and job opportunities.
Follow targeted companies. Run advanced searches
(for job opportunities).
7. Make personal invitations to connect with people.
8. Join and engage in groups to build your network.
9. Meet your top online connections offline .
10. Ask for recommendations. Add recommendations
to your cv.
• What do I want to achieve by using LinkedIn?
• Create a LinkedIn profile – visit www.linkedin.com.
• Write a summary for your LinkedIn profile.
• What’s your professional headline?
• Write down 5 people you would like to connect with.
• What images, video and links should be on your
• Find 3 Groups to join?
• Update your status with something meaningful.
• Find a job of interest on LinkedIn.
• Run a search on LinkedIn.
Use SM to Find a job
How can you get noticed by the right people using Social Media?
How can you create a LinkedIn profile that gets you found?
How can you use LinkedIn proactively in your job search?
What about Facebook and Twitter?
What about demonstrating passion and ability through a personal
blog? How can you achieve this.
Video cvs and other tactics.