• Have you ever wondered why it sometimes rain
in one place but not in another place?
• Did it ever occur to your mind why we have storms and why
people can easily track their location and speed?
• What do you think is the phenomena behind it?
That is all because of weather. Now, I
want to know what is your idea of
weather or what comes to your mind
when you hear the word weather.
• Use the cloud 3 drops to note your ideas. You will
be given 5 minutes to work on this on your
1. Where did you get this idea about
2. Why did you say that weather is or
has something to do with
3. Do you know what will be the kind of
weather today? tomorrow? next
• Studying about the weather is important
because it affects our day to day
• That is why, people must be aware of the
daily weather so that they can plan things
So, what is the meaning of weather?
Let us read and study this sample weather
forecast or news.
Read the sample weather forecast.
• No major weather disturbance will affect the country which will
continue to experience fair weather except for scattered rain showers
over Bicol region, Eastern Visayas and Mindanao. Light easterly to
southeasterly winds will prevail throughout the archipelago and
coastal waters will remain slight.
• Metro Manila- partly cloudy with range of temperature- 22 – 35
• Metro Cebu- Cloudy skies, temperature- 26 – 31
• Metro Davao-partly cloudy, temperature- 24 -34
• Baguio- partly cloudy, temperature- 14 – 26
• Sunrise-5:56 A.M., Sunset- 6:08 P.M.
1. What is the weather forecast for the country today?
2. Which areas of the country will experience rain?
3. What is the direction of the wind?
4. Which place will experience cold weather?
5. What area will experience the highest temperature today?
6. Is weather condition the same in all the places?
7. What is weather?
• Weather - It describes the condition of the air at a
particular time and place. Weather also tells how
the air moves (wind) and describes anything it
might be carrying such as rain, snow or clouds.
Thunder, lightning, rainbows, haze and other
special events are all part of weather.
What is weather?
• It is about the atmosphere
• It is a condition
• It keeps changing any time of the
• It varies from place to place
• It has a lot of elements
Weather is the condition of the atmosphere at
any given time.
How does weather differ from climate?
• Climate - It describes the average weather conditions in
a certain place or during a certain season. Weather may
change from day to day, but climate changes only over
hundreds or thousands of years.
• Many animals and plants need one kind of climate to
survive. Dolphins and palm trees can live only in a warm
climate, while polar bears and spruce trees need a cold
What is climate?
Now, look at the pictures below. Which among the pictures
below shows a weather man?
1. What made you say that he is a weather man?
2. What does a weather man do?
3. In science, what do you call a weather man?
What do you call the person who study the
We call them Meteorologist. Everybody say
What does he do?
Meteorologist study the weather. He gathers
information and reports it to the people. He
also helps trace weather disturbances
through the use of different weather
• Have you seen some weather instruments that are being
used to help the meteorologist tell the daily weather
condition of a place?
• Do you know how to use them?
• Let’s do this matching type activity for me to know
whether you really know them or not.
• In your notebook identify the following materials by
writing their names. Choose your answers from the box
below. You are given 3 minutes to do this activity.
thermometer weather balloon
anemometer wind vane weather satellite
• Using a variety of weather instruments, maps
and reports, meteorologists study the ever-
changing weather information in order to
discover trends and patterns which help them
forecast the weather for the next few hours and
• Meteorologists can now give advance warning
on extreme weather conditions so that
communities can prepare for the worst.
So, what are the different weather instruments
they use to gather information?
• Air thermometer
• Wind vane
• Wind sock
• Rain gauge
• Weather maps
• Weather balloon
• Weather satellites
• Use to measure air temperature
• It is a hollow-glass tube with a liquid (alcohol or mercury)
• When the air temperature is high the liquid inside expands
or goes up but when the air temperature is low the liquid
• Measures wind speed
• The cups catch the wind, turning a dial
attached to the instrument. The dial
shows the wind speed.
• an instrument that determines the
direction from which the wind is blowing.
• measures weather
conditions higher up in the
atmosphere through a
• Measures the water vapor
content of air or humidity
measures relative humidity, using
the cooling effect of evaporation.
Two thermometers are used in a
• Measures air pressure
• It tells whether or not the pressure is rising or falling.
• A rising barometer means sunny or dry conditions, while
falling barometer means stormy and wet conditions.
• Measures amount of rain that has fallen
over a specific time or period.
• is a navigational instrument for
• Indicate atmospheric conditions above a
large portion of the Earth’s surface.
• It is used to photograph and track large-
scale air movements such as typhoon,
• What can you say
about the different
instruments used by
• Do you think
they are really
• If you were a meteorologist
which among the instruments
will be your favorite? Why?
• How do you think people in
the past tell about the
weather? What instrument do
OUR EYES are one of the best ways to help
detect the weather.
Always keep an eye at the sky and you'll
usually be on top of weather conditions.
It is really fun to know these different instruments. Did
you know that different countries have their own
Weather station is the place where all data about
the weather are being gathered and evaluated. They
are also the one who is responsible in informing the
people about the daily weather condition of the
In the Philippines we also have our own weather
station. Do you know what is it?
In the Philippines we have a weather station that
gives the daily weather report and observation we
call it PAGASA.
What is the meaning of PAGASA?
Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical
and Astronomical Services
Memorize it kids!!!
• PAGASA is a Philippine national institution dedicated to
provide flood and typhoon warnings, public
weather forecasts and advisories, meteorological,
astronomical, climatological, and other specialized
information and services primarily for the protection of
life and property and in support of economic,
productivity and sustainable development.
• Let us see if you really learned something today? With a partner
(pair share), complete the concept map below in your notebook.
You are given 10 minutes to do this. Then, be ready to share your
work to the class.
PERSON PHIL. WEATHER STATION
Seatwork: Choose your answers from the box.
_____1. measures wind speed
_____2. tells the direction of the wind
_____3. measures air pressure
_____4. detects typhoon and hurricane
_____5.measures amount of rain
• Journal writing:
• In your science notebook answer
the question below.
• What do you think will happen if
we do not have a weather station
• Check your skills:
• 10- excellent
• 8-9- very good
• 6-7- good
• 5 and below- needs focus
• I am sure that you would also like to make your
own weather instruments and become a
• This is your time to shine.
• Go now in your respective group or team. There
are 4-5 instruments you can choose from.
• Choose only one instrument that you would like
to create. Refer to activity sheet for the materials.
• 1. To be able to create an improvised weather instruments.
• 2. To be able to use these instruments in identifying the
weather condition in
Weather Instrument Rubric
Name: ____________________ 4- ________
A. Followed Directions - 5pts
•Followed the step carefully
B. Workmanship - 10pts
C. Effort / Time management - 5pts
•Started / Finished the work on time
•Did not loiter
• Weather is the daily condition of the
atmosphere at a particular time and place.
• Meteorologists are people who study about the
daily weather condition of the place. They
record and report any information about the
• Weather instruments are being used by scientists to predict
the weather. There are many kinds of weather instruments
from simple to the most advance kind of technology.
• The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and
Astronomical Services Administration is a Philippine
national institution dedicated to provide flood and typhoon
warnings, public weather forecasts and advisories,
meteorological, astronomical, climatological, and other
specialized information and services primarily for the
protection of life and property and in support of economic,
productivity and sustainable development.