2. An Overview of the IssueAdvocates Opposition Ordinary activists and others…
3. But First, Some Background Info Defense of Marriage Act
4. Here’s Why: Economic Benefits forCouples = These benefits are not given to same-sex couples …and many more! in a civil union.
5. Separate But Equal: It Never Works The exclusion of gay couples receiving economic and social benefits given to heterosexuals prove that while civil unions and real marriage may be separate, they are certainly not equal.
6. Here’s Why: Better Acceptance ofGays and Lesbians Legalization of gay marriage will help to dispel stereotypes and anti-gay rhetoric.
7. Examples of Anti-Gay MarriageRhetoric There are many more examples. Rick Santorum Pope Benedict Legalizing gay XVI marriage will “Is anyone saying same-sexcouples cant love each other? help avoid Gay marriage will I love my children. I love my bigotry and threaten “human dignity friends, my brother. Heck, I and the future of narrow- even love my mother-in-law. humanity itself”. mindedness. Should we call theserelationships marriage, too?"
8. Here’s Why Not: The Sanctity ofTraditional Marriage The belief… = Will same-sex marriage destroy the institution of traditional marriage? Well…
9. The definition of marriage has already changed because gayHowever… marriage is legal in many states.
10. Here’s Why Not: The Importanceof Having Children
11. However… Gays and lesbians can have children in other ways.
12. And… If we want to deny marriage to gays based on procreation, we should also deny it to:
13. So What Do We Do and How? A federal law is the only way to repeal DOMA and give gays and lesbians the marriage rights they deserve.
14. It’s Quiz Time!1. What did the Defense of Marriage Act do to the institution of marriage?2. What are some economic benefits that can be granted to gay couples if same-sex marriage is legalized?3. What are the ways that gays and lesbians can have children?4. Conservatives say that gay marriage will undermine the sanctity of traditional marriage, but this is not true. Why?5. Besides economic benefits, what is another pro of legalizing same-sex marriage?
15. Answers What did the Defense of Marriage Act do to the institution of marriage? Banned same-sex marriages; refused to recognize gay marriages performed elsewhere What are some economic benefits that can be granted to gay couples if same-sex marriage is legalized? 401(k) plans; CalPERS benefits; veterans’ benefits What are the ways that gays and lesbians can have children? Adoption; artificial insemination Conservatives say that gay marriage will undermine the sanctity of traditional marriage, but this is not true. Why? Same-sex marriage is already legalized in some states; gay relationships have become more common Besides economic benefits, what is another pro of legalizing same-sex marriage? Acceptance of gays and lesbians
16. Photo CreditsHuman Rights Campaign logo. Digital image. International Court System. International Court Council. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Freedom to Marry logo. Digital image. Wikipedia. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Homosexual marriage activists. Digital image. Americans For Truth About Homosexuality. Americans For Truth. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.National Organization for Marriage logo. Digital image. Wizzard Media. Wizzard Software Corporation. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Family Research Council logo. Digital image. Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters. Blogspot. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Focus on the Family logo. Digital image. Box Turtle Bulletin. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Bill Clinton. Digital image. Wikipedia. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.1996. Digital image. Stop Sylvia Browne. Robert S. Lancaster. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.DOMA tearing apart gay marriage. Digital image. Gay Marriage Watch. WordPress. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.
17. Photo CreditsGay Couple Married in New York. Digital image. Philly Gay Lawyer. WordPress. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.401(k) nest egg. Digital image. EagleiOnline. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.CalPERS logo. Digital image. Pension Pulse. Blogspot. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Gay pride flag w/ hands. Digital image. San Diego Gay and Lesbian News. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Bully Free Zone sign. Digital image. Childhood 101. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Gay youth suicide headline. Digital image. HimHo. Web. 21 Mar. 2012."No" symbol. Digital image. Forwarded Messages. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Rick Santorum. Digital image. “Santorum: Left hates ‘Christendom’”. Politico. Web. 24 Mar. 2012.Pope Benedict XVI. Digital image. “Pope Benedict XVI Condemns Gay Marriage”. The Inquisitr. Web. 24 Mar. 2012.Gay man hoisting partner. Digital image. Apt. 17. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Falling asteroid. Digital image. CanStockPhoto. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Heterosexual marriage icon. Digital image. GodHungry. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.The State of Gay Marriage. Digital image. The Bent Angle. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.
18. Photo CreditsKids squashing father w/ mom smiling. Digital image. Kindermusik. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Happy family with kids. Digital image. The Maids. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Gay adoption. Digital image. SodaHead. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.In vitro artificial insemination. Digital image. Albawaba. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Pregnant Asian woman. Digital image. New Life Pregnancy Center. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Elderly couple. Digital image. Walsine Pierce. Blogspot. Web. 21 Mar. 2012."Childfree" poster. Digital image. Morality of the Childfree. Tripod. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Repeal DOMA. Digital image. Allegiance: A New American Musical. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.Rainbow United States. Digital image. The Advocate. Web. 21 Mar. 2012.
19. Works CitedDriscoll, Sally and Alexander Stingl. "Counterpoint: Same-Sex Marriage Is Both A Constitutional And Human Right." Points Of View: Same Sex Marriage (2011): 3. Points of View Reference Center. Web. 12 Feb. 2012.Friedman, Lauri S, ed. "Gay Marriage Will Eventually Be Legal in All States." 2009. Gay Marriage. Detroit: Greenhaven, 2010. 28. Print. Introducing Issues with Opposing Viewpoints.Friedman, "Important Dates in the Fight over Same-Sex Marriage." Gay Marriage. Detroit: Greenhaven, 2010. 24. Print. Introducing Issues with Opposing Viewpoints.Mock, Jan Vaughn. "Legalized Gay Marriage Would Grant Rights to Gay People." 2008. Gay Marriage. Ed. Lauri S. Friedman. Detroit: Greenhaven, 2010. 69-76. Print. Introducing Issues with Opposing Viewpoints.
20. Works CitedNayak, Malathi, Peter Henderson, and Dan Levine. "Timeline: U.S. laws on same-sex marriage." Reuters.com. Thomson Reuters, 7 Feb. 2012. Web. 10 Feb. 2012.Persily, Seth. "Chapter 5: Gay Marriage and Procreation." Arguing Equality. Web. 8 Feb. 2012.Rauch, Jonathan. “Gay Marriage Strengthens Society”. 2008. Gay Marriage. Ed. Lauri S. Friedman. Detroit: Greenhaven, 2010. 92-97. Print. Introducing Issues with Opposing Viewpoints.Wilson, Brian. “Point: The Attack On Traditional Marriage.” Points Of View: Same Sex Marriage (2011): 5. Points of View Reference Center. Web. 11 Feb 2012.
21. Works Cited for Anti-Gay MarriageRhetoric Quotations erkel, Amanda. "Santorum Mocks Gay Marriage: ‘I Love My Brother. Should We Call This Relationship Marriage Too?’" ThinkProgress. 22 May 2008. Web. 24 Mar. 2012. allowell, Billy. "Pope Benedict: Gay Marriage Threatens The Future of Humanity Itself’” TheBlaze. 10 Jan. 2012. Web. 24 Mar. 2012.