method two: competition
by tessa jonson
For my second method, I needed to investigate the competition that ex-
ists involving the low-meat consumption campaigns. I found three differ-
ent examples that all have some similarities and some vast differences
from what I hope to achieve.
vegetarian society: about
• oldest vegetarian organisation in the world, having started in 1847
• They describe themselves on their website as an “educational charity working
to support, represent, and increase the number of vegetarians in the UK”
• work with policy makers, businesses, and professionals
• have wide variety of free support, but to be a member, you have to pay a fee
vegetarian society: provide
• resources including what a vegetarian is, news and history, and Vegetarian
Society approved products and shops
• They have many forms of support: converting to vegetarianism, cooking, con-
necting with others, and so on. Here you can see their online community.
meat free mondays: about
• an international campaign founded by Paul McCartney that encourages people
to eat a meatless diet on Mondays
• promotes the diet’s environmental, financial, and health benefits
• many celebrity endorsements including Gwyneth Paltrow, Alec Baldwin, and
• This is a screen shot of their homepage.
meat free mondays: provide
• new recipes added every Monday, as you can see in this image
• loads of facts about meat consumption and production
• quite unusually, MFM have promotional material such as posters and brochures
on their site for supporters to download and use themselves
flexitarian foodie: about
• amateur blog of flexitarian recipes created by a mum
• includes short introduction to each recipe explaining why she likes it or the like
• when I Googled “flexitarian”, this is the only search result that’s not just an ar-
ticle on a site about something else. This had flexitarian in the url.
flexitarian foodie: provides
• the blog is just a list of recipes
• definition and explanation of flexitarian
• some simple tips on becoming a flexitarian
• Are there any questions?