NAME: Mwanda Otieno Walter
DATE OF BIRTH: March 1955
PLACE OF BIRTH: Siaya, Kenya
MARITAL STATUS: Married with two children
Spouse: Amura Elizabeth Mwanda
Children: Masters Amollo 18 years and Mzee 10 years
ADDRESS; Contacts: (i) P. O. Box 19676, Nairobi.
Official: P. O. Box 19676, Nairobi, Kenya
(ii) Telephones; Cell 0733714386, - Office: University office
2738414 or KNH 2726300 Ext. 43661/654/586 or
(iii) Email: email@example.com
(iv) Fax: 254-20-725624/711561
Current posts: University of Nairobi:
• Associate Professor University of Nairobi, Department of
Human Pathology (Haematology and Blood Transfusion
• Consultant – Haematology blood transfusion and –Oncology
(Kenyatta National Hospital.)
• In-Charge, Paediatric Oncology ( Ward 1E, haematology and
oncology clinic). (Kenyatta National Hospital )
• In-Charge Blood Transfusion services (Kenyatta National
1962-1969 primary education at Hono Primary School in Siaya District. For the Certificate of
Primary Education (C P E).
1970-1973. Secondary school at Alliance High School. For the East African Certificate of
Examination (O level)
1973-1975 High school education at the Alliance High School, Kikuyu. For the Advanced
certificate of secondary school examination (A level).
1976-1981 Graduate course, University of Nairobi medical for the degree of Bachelor of Medicine
and Bachelor of Surgery of the University of Nairobi.
1983-1986 Post-Graduate course, Royal College of Pathologists (PMRCPath) Primary level in
general pathology by course work and examination in Nairobi and Royal Infirmary, Glasgow
1986-1988 Postgraduate training in haematology and blood transfusion at Kenyatta National
1988-1990 Glasgow Royal Infirmary in Scotland (UK) Department of Haematology
1996 Post-Graduate certificate course in Epidemiology and Biostatistics in Clinical Epidemiology
and Bio statistics of John Hopkins University, Maryland, USA
1996-2001 Thesis and course work for the degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD) in the Department
of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Faculty of Medicine of the University of Nairobi.
1973 Teaching Primary school
1975 Secondary school teaching
1976 Research Bursar at the International Center for Insect Physiology and Ecology
1980 -1983 Medical Officer at the Coast General Hospital Mombasa.
1983 – 1986 Senior House Officer, Department of Pathology at Kenyatta National Hospital.
1986-1988 Senior House officer, Pathology section of Haematology
and Blood Transfusion at Kenyatta National Hospital.
1991-1993 Pathologist and specialist haematologist at the Kenyatta National Hospital, honorary
lecturer Department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion of the University of
Nairobi since 1993. Registrar Paediatrics Oncology.
1992 – 2003 Lecturer in haematology, blood transfusion and paediatric oncology, Department
of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Faculty of Medicine, College of Health
Sciences University of Nairobi.
1994 to-date In-charge paediatric oncology Ward 1E and clinic at the KNH.
In-charge Haematology and Oncology Clinical services at the KNH for the
2003 - to date Senior Lecture in Haematology, Blood Transfusion and paediatric oncology,
Department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Faculty of Medicine, College
of Health Sciences University of Nairobi.
2005 to date Head of haematology and blood transfusion thematic unit
2003 Nov – 2004 Jul Acting Chairman, Department Haematology and Blood Transfusion at
Kenyatta National Hospital.
1994 to date In-charge of Paediatric Oncology ward KNH, quality assurance for the
Department of Haematology and Blood Transfusion at Kenyatta National
1994 On occasions acting chairman Department of Haematology and Blood
1983 Medical Officer in-charge –Casualty and Out Patients Departments at
the Coast General Hospital Mombasa.
1975 Captain Alliance high school.
1973 Prefect Alliance High school.
1973 Deputy Prefect Alliance High School.
1969 Head prefect Std VII.
1964 -1968 Timekeeper for the primary school.
• Headed the blood donation programme for the victims of the August 1998 bomb blast in
• Faculty of Medicine representative at the Kenya Bureau of Standards.
• Committee of National Blood Transfusion services.
• Vice-Chairman, Kenya Cancer Association.
• Chairman Kenya Haemophilia Association.
• Chairman and convener KECANSA cancer awareness week 8th-14th October 2001 early
detection and prevention of cancer.
• Member National AIDS and STIs Control Programme(NASCOP), Scientific, Monitoring
and Evaluation Technical Committee
• Member National Blood Safety Committee
• World Federation of Haemophilia (WFH) – Head, Kenya Chapter
• Pan Africa Psycho Oncology Society (PAPOS) – Head, Kenya Chapter
• Executive Member of Pan Africa Psycho Oncology Society (PAPOS)
• Who is Who in health care provision - Nominated
Membership and Associations:
• Kenya Society for Haematology Oncology (KESHO)
• Kenya Cancer Association
• Kenya Chapter of World Haemophilia Federation.
• The African Society of Blood Transfusion (PSBT)
• The South African Paediatric Oncology Study Group (SAPOSG)
• Centre for AIDS Research (CFAR) – OHIO USA
• World Federation of Haemophilia - CANADA
• Africa Blood Transfusion Association - ZIMBABWE
• New York Academy of Scientists – NEW YORK
Organised and hosted
• World Federation of Haemophilia, Haemostasis course, April 2003
• World Federation of Haemophilia, Homeostasis course, March - April 2004
• International course and Haemophilia Laboratory ManagementJuly 2004
Contributions to Continuous Medical Education
Locally in Kenya and international presentations: seminars, conferences and professional meetings
and presented and discussed papers in the following areas:
(1) The role of Oncology in palliative care of patients.
(2) The role of Blood transfusion in paediatric oncology.
(3) Haemophilia in Kenya in the mass media
(5) Haematology and the HIV infection
(6) Laboratory management of HIV
(7) Training of phlebotomists at the KNH, Gertrude’s Garden Children’s Hospital and the
(8) Quality control in diagnostic laboratory tests.
(9) Teaching and supervision of students of the middle class colleges especially Medical
Training Center (MTC) Nairobi. 1998 appointed external lecturer to MTC.
(10)Venous Thrombosis embolism
(11)Autologous Blood Transfusion
(12)National Blood Transfusion programmes
(13)Sickle Cell Disease
(16)HIV and Lymphomas
(17)Oncology in the Emerging World
Seminars, workshops, conferences (International) attended:
2006 Nov. Brasileiro de ONCOLOGIA PEDIATRICA 14 a 18 de novembro de 2006
Bahia Othon Palace Hotel (podium).
2006 Oct. 10th international AIDS malignancy Conference National Cancer Institute,
Bethesda MD USA.
2006 May WFH Global WMO Training Vancouver Canada.
2006 May World Congress: World Federation of Haemophilia Vancouver Canada.
2006 April International ESPHO Congress Comprehensive Care of Haematological
Disorders in Children March 2006 J. W. Marriot, Cairo. Egypt. Representing
2005 June Wolfgang –Goethe University Haemophilia symposium – Germany. International
2004 Dec University of Nairobi, Institute of Tropical and Infectious diseases – Aberdare
Country Club. Kenya (local).
2004 Sep Pan Africa Psychology conference, Johannesburg South Africa. International
2003 African Organization for Research and Training in Cancer, Cancer in Africa, 4 th
International Conference, La Palm Royal Beach Hotel, Accra, Ghana October
2003 Ghana. Representing NIC (NIH) USA.
2002 a. Sixth International Conference on Malignancies in AIDS and other
immunodeficiencies: Basic, Epidemiologic and Clinical Research. Bethesda,
MD, April, 2002. USA.
b. Pan-African Psycho Oncology (PAPOS) 2002 conference in Pretoria, South
The Fight against cancer in the emerging world conference December 2002 at Al
Qasr conference hall, Hilton Hotel Abu Dhabi. United Arab Emirates.
2001 Children’s Cancer Study Group Workshop, Protea Hotel, Saldanha Bay, South
Africa August- September South Africa.
2001 International AIDS malignancy Conference, Bethesda, Maryland, April. USA.
2000 Pan-African Psycho-Oncology Society (PAPOS) Conference at Kampala Uganda
1999 Third annual National AIDS malignancy conference in Bethesda Maryland USA of
1997 a. A training course in Epidemiology Biostatistics and Burkitt's lymphoma in
Case Western Reserve University, April to July USA.
b. A training course in bleeding disorders in Italy, November Italy.
1996 Training course in Epidemiology and Biostatistics at John Hopkin's University
1994 National contribution committee - Rational use of Blood and Quality Control in
diagnostic laboratory in Kenya. Kenya (local).
1993 Symposium in Fine Needle Aspiration Cytopathology at the MRCPath London,
1990 Workshop and Haematology refresher courses in St. Mary's Hospital (UK).
1989 a. Haematology update in Oxford (U.K).
b. Blood transfusion refresher course in Brentwood (UK).
c. Carluke Larnakshire in Scotland (U.K) in 1988 and 1990.
1987 Postgraduate course in Cancer treatment in Nairobi. Kenya.
Supervision of postgraduate students
1. Aywak A., Radiological changes in Burkitt's Lymphoma. M.Med dissertation, 1994.
2. Goyal P Haematological changes in Human Immunodeficiency infection. M.Med
3. Mugenya O.W.G., Towards establishing a maximum surgical blood ordering schedule
(MSBOS) at Kenyatta National Hospital. M.Med dissertation, 1995.
4. Rogena A., Fine needle cytopathology in diagnosis of tumours. M.Med dissertation, 1996.
5. Afulo O.KPattern of preoperative autologous blood deposit in surgical practice at
Kenyatta National Hospital. M.Med dissertation, 1997.
6. M. Wambani, The pattern and causes of intra abdominal masses in paediatric patients as
seen at Kenyatta National Hospital, 2001.
7. E. G. Kanduma, A comparative study of serum levels of total sialic acid and Hanganutziu
and Deicher (HD) antibody in normal and cancer patients. Msc. 2000.
8. Kalebi A. Y,. Evaluation of gastric tissue, eosinophil density and peripheral blood
leukocyte differential counts in gastritis. 2005
9. Mohammed M, , Pattern of blood ordering, cross matching and utilization in the surgical
suites of Kenyatta National Hospital. 2005
10. A.D. Sahal, Research proposal: Ocular features of sickle cell diseases among patients
seen at Kenyatta National Hospital. 2005.
11. G.K. Ibari, , Psychological aspects of the paediatric cancer patients in Kenyatta National
Hospital. 2006 (In progress)
12. J. Kivai, A.N. Outcome of drug management of patients with AIDS-related Kaposis
sarcoma in Kenyatta National Hospital over 10 weeks period 2006 (In progress)
1. M.N. Muiva. Research proposal: Quality of life issues of women with gynaecological
cancers and breast cancer in Kenya (In progress)
Mwanda O. W. Kasili's Synopsis of the Management of Paediatric Cancers in Kenya. 2004.
1. Mwanda O.W. Principles of Applied Blood Transfusion Manual (In UON press). 2005.
2. Mwanda O. W. Practical Guide to Coagulation Tests. 2005.( Manuscript)
3. Mwanda O.W. Management of thrombosis at the Kenyatta National Hospital ( In
Contribution to Literature:
1. Mwanda O.W., Kitonyi G.W., Owade J.N., Njenga G., Kasili E.G. The role of Fine
Aspiration Cytopathology in the differential diagnosis of accessible paediatric tumours.
East African Medical Journal of Medicine 1989. 66, 167-173.
2. Mwanda O.W., Wanjohi E.W., Cheserem E N., Kassabach Merrit Syndrome in an adult
female African, Case report, East African Medical Journal 1990. 67, 214 - 216.
3. Riyat M.S., Kasili E.G., Mwanda W.O. Childhood Aplastic Anaemia in Kenya East
African Medical Journal 1990 67, 264 – 271.
4. Mwanda O.W., Nyamongo J. eds. (Ministry of Health) National Guidelines for the use of
blood and blood products. 1994. 191-194.
5. Mwanda O.W. Haematological changes in human immunodeficiency virus infection Part I.
East African Medical Journal 1997, 74: 732-736
6. Mwanda O.W. Haematological changes in human immunodeficiency virus infection Part
II. East African Medical Journal 1997, 737-739.
7. Mwanda O.W., Abinya N.O. Relapse of Hodgkin's lymphoma after 10 years of complete
remission. Case report. East African Medical Journal 1998, 75:3, 165-167.
8. Mwanda O.W. Lupus Anticoagulant Syndrome. Case report. East African Medical
9. Mwanda O.W. Cancer in Children younger than sixteen years in Kenya. East African
Medical Journal 1999; 76: 3-9.
10.Mwanda O.W., Rajab J.A. Granulocytic Sarcoma. Report of three cases. East African
Medical Journal 1999; 76: 594-593.
11.Mwanda O.W., Dave P. Megaloblastic Marrow in Macrocytic anaemia at Kenyatta
National Hospital and M P Shah hospitals, Nairobi. East African Medical Journal
1999; 76, 610-614.
12.Mwanda O. W. Blood transfusion. Sustainable Donor’s system is the key to the
service. African Journal of Hospital Medici nice (MEDICOM) 2000, 15, 2:31-32.
13.Mwanda O W, Magoha G A O, Afulo O K. Autologous transfusion in surgical
patients at Kenyatta National Hospital. EAMJ, 2001; 78:563-568.
14.Mwanda O. W., Scot Remick, Christopher Whalen. Adults Burkitt’s Lymphoma in
patients with and without Human Immunodeficiency Virus infection in Kenya. Int. J.
Cancer: 2001;92, 687-691.
15.Mwanda O. W. Cancer prevention and early detection. The African Journal of
Medicine (MEDICOM) 2001:16, 6, 85-89.
16.Mwanda O. W., Cecily Banura, Edward Katangole Mbidde, John L. Johnson,
Ghannoum, Afshin Dowlati, Rolf Renne, Eric Arts, Christopher Whalen, Michael M.
Lederman, Scot C. Remick. Therapeutic challenges of AIDS-related Non-Hodgkin’s
Lymphoma in the United States and East Africa. Journal of the National Cancer
Institute. 2002: 94, 718-32.
17.Mwanda W. O. Prevention and early detection of paediatric cancers. The African
Journal of Hospital Medicine (MEDICOM) 2001:16, 6;100-102.
18.Mwanda O.W. Lupus anticoagulants: pathophysiology, clinical and laboratory
Associations: A review east African Medical Journal 2003; 80:564-568.
19.Mwanda O.W., Otieno C. F., Abdalla F. K., Transfusion Haemosiderosis Inspite Of
Regular Use Of Desferrioxamine - Case Report. EAMJ 2004; 81:326-328.
20. Mwanda W.O., Abdallah F.K., Obondo A., Musau F. Quality Of Life: Aspects To
Look For In Male Cancer Patients At A Referral Hospital In Kenya. EAMJ 2004; 81:
21.Mwanda O. W. Burkitt’s Lymphoma in Kenya: views from the 20th Century,
Introduction. EAMJ, 2004; 81:S61-62.
22.Mwanda O. W. Burkitt’s Lymphoma; The Initial defining Characteristics. EAMJ,
23.Mwanda OW, Rosemary Rochford, Ann M Moormann, Adam Macneil, Christopher
Whalen, Mark L Wilson. Burkitt’s Lymphoma in Kenya: Geographical, Age, Gender
and Ethnic distribution. EAMJ, 2004; 81: S68-77
24.Mwanda O.W. The Clinical Characteristics of Burkitt’s Lymphoma seen in Kenyan
Patients. EAMJ, 2004; 81: S78-89.
25. Mwanda WO, Christopher W, Scot CR, Lederman M, Orem J, Banura C. Anatomical
sites predilections of Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in Human Immunodeficiency Virus
infection: A Report on 54 cases. EAMJ, 2004; 81: S90-96.
26. W. O. Mwanda. Aspects of Epidemiological and Clinical Features of Patients with
Central Nervous System (CNS) Burkitt’s Lymphoma (BL) in Kenya. EAMJ, 2004; 81:
27. Aywak A.A., Mwanda W.O., Adamali N.E. The Radiological Features of Burkitt’s
Lymphoma. EAMJ, 2004; 81: S104-110.
28. Mwanda O. W, Rochford Rosemary, Jenetter Rainey, Mark L Wilson. Challenges (in
the epidemiological and clinical aspects) of Burkitt’s lymphoma in Kenya: linking
evidence and experience. EAMJ, 2004; 81: S111-116.
29. Dr. Obondo A., Dr. Mwanda O. W. Aspects Of Psychological Issues Of Adult Cancer
Patients, Review Article. MEDICOM, 2004; 19, 1: 13-18.
30. Orem J, Otieno Mwanda W, Remick SC. AIDS-associated cancer in developing
nations. Current Opinion in Oncology 2004; 6:468-476.
31. Otieno Mwanda W, Fu P, Collea R, Whalen C and Remick SC. Kaposi’s sarcoma in
patients with and without human immunodeficiency virus infection in a tertiary referral
center in Kenya. Ann Trop Med Parasitol, 2005; 99 (1): 81-91
32. Orem J, Otieno Mwanda W, Banura C, Katongole-Mbidde E, Johnson J, Ayers L,
Ghannoum M, Fu P, Feigal E, Black J, Whalen C, Lederman M and Remick SC.
Capacity building for the clinical investigation of AIDS malignancy in East Africa.
Cancer Detect Prevent, 2005; 29: (2) 133-145.
33. Mwanda O. W. Aflatoxicosis: Health Implications. Editorial. EAMJ, 2005; 273-274.
34. O. W. Mwanda, C. F. Otieno, E. Omonge. Acute Aflataoxicosis: Case Report. EAMJ,
35. W. O. Mwanda, C. Whalen, S. C. Remick. Burkitt’s lymphoma and emerging
therapeutic strategies for EBV and AIDS-associated lymphoproliferative diseases in East
Africa. EAMJ, 2005; 82): S133-134.
36. W. O. Mwanda, J. Orem, S. C. Remick, R. Rochford, C. Whalen, M. L. Wilson.
Clinical characteristics of Burkitt’s lymphoma from three regions in Kenya. EAMJ,
2005; 82 S135-S143.
37. J. Orem, P. Fu, A. Ness, W. O. Mwanda, S. C. Remick. Oral combination
chemotherapy in the treatment of AIDS-associated Hodgkin’s disease. EAMJ, 2005; 82
R. Rochford, G. Feuer, J. Orem, C. Banura, E. Katongole-Mbidde,
W. O. Mwanda, A. Moorman, W. J. Harrington, S. C. Remick.
Strategies to overcome myelotoxic therapy
38. for the treatment of Burkitt’s and AIDS-related Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. EAMJ,
2005; 82 S157-S162.
39. Abdallah F.K., Mwanda O. W., Rana F. Blood Donors: Comparing Walk In and Call
Responsive Donors In a National and Private Hospital In Nairobi. EAMJ, 2005 82:10.
1. Mwanda O.W., Whalen C, Remick S C, Adult Burkitt’s Lymphoma (BL) in patients
with and without HIV infection in Kenya (Abstract). Journal of Acquired Immune
2. Mwanda O.W, Dave P. An Epidemiological Study Of Megaloblastic Anaemia In
Nairobi Kenya. XV Th. Meeting of the International Society Of Haematology. African &
European Division. 1999 Abstract 33.
3. Mwanda O. W. Aspects of medical decision making in paediatric oncology. Pan-African
Psych Oncology Society (PAPOS) 2000 Conference at Kampala, Uganda between 14th-16th
4. Mwanda O. W., Abdalla F. K., Obondo A. The Psychological effects of cancer on
inpatients at Kenyatta. Silver Jubilee congress of the medical women International
Association at Sidney, Australia from 19th to 23rd April 2001.
5. Mwanda O. W., Christopher Whalen, Scot Remick. Kaposi’s Sarcoma in patients with
and without human Immunodeficiency virus infection in Kenya: A prospective study
from 1997 to 1999. Presented in part at the Fifth International AIDS Malignancy
Conference, Bethesda, MD, April 23rd –25th, 2001.
6. Mwanda O. W., Abdalla F. K. Epidemiological and clinical features of patients with
central nervous system (CNS) Burkitt’s lymphoma (BL) in Kenya. South African
Children’s Cancer Study Group (SACCSG) Workshop, Protea Hotel, Saldanha Bay,
Friday 31st August-2nd September 2001.
7. Abdalla F. K., Mwanda O. W. An experience with Neupogen (Filgastrim) in cytotoxic
induced neutropenia in children with malignant conditions. South African Children’s
Cancer Study Group Workshop, Protea Hotel, Saldanha Bay, Friday 31 st August- Sunday
2nd September 2001.
8. Mwanda O. W. An overview of AIDS malignancies and patient care in Kenya. Basic,
Epidemiologic and Clinical Research. Sixth AIDS malignancies conference, Bethesda,
9. Mwanda O. W., F. K. Abdallah. Challenges of paediatric oncologist working in an
African not well-endowed health services providing settings. SIOP Africa meeting, Cote
D’Ivoire 26th-28th May, 2002.
10. F. K. Abdallah, W. O. Mwanda. Further experience with Neupogen (Filgastrim) in
cytotoxic induced Neutropenia in children with malignant conditions. SIOP Africa
meeting, Cote D’Ivoire 26th-28th May, 2002.
11. Mwanda O. W., Abdallah F., Obondo A. Psychological aspects of male cancer patients
seen at a referral hospital in Kenya. Pan African Psycho-Oncology conference in
Pretoria South Africa. 4-8th October 2002.
12. Mwanda O. W. Management of children with cancer in an underprivileged setting. Pan
African Psycho-Oncology conference in Pretoria South Africa 4-8th October 2002.
13. Mwanda O. W. Burkitt’s Lymphoma. The Fight against cancer in the emerging world
conference, 15-16th December 2002 at Al Qasr conference hall, Hilton Hotel Abu Dhabi.
14. Mwanda O. W. HIV related malignancies in Kenya at the 4th International conference
on Cancer in Africa, October 2003, Accra, Ghana. Presentations (Podium)
15. J Orem., Mwanda O.W., C. Banura., E. Katongoloe-Mbidde., P. Fu., J. Johnson., A.
Ness., S., Reynolds., J. Black., E. Feigal., C. Whalen., S.C. Remick. Prospective
screening for AIDS related Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (AR-NHL) patients in East Africa
as part of a clinical trial. Blood 102:272B, 2003 (abstract Nos. 4810).
16. J. Orem., Mwanda O.W., P. Fu., C. Banura., E. Katongole-Mbidde., J. Johnson., A.
Ness., S. Reynolds., J. Black., E. Feigal., C. Whalen., S.C. Remick. Effect of oral
chemotherapy on CD4 lymphocyte counts and HIV-1 plasma RNA (VL) in patients with
AIDS-related Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (AR-NHL) in East Africa as part of a clinical
17. Mwanda O.W., Abdallah F.K. Epidemiological and clinical features of patients with
Central Nervous System (CNS) Burkitt’s lymphoma (BL) in Kenya. 6 th continental
meeting of SIOP/PAPSA in Africa, May 2004, Lakeshore, Malawi. Presentations
18. Abdallah F.K., Mwanda O.W. Retinoblastoma at the Kenyatta National Hospital
(KNH). 6th continental meeting of SIOP/PAPSA in Africa, May 2004, Lakeshore,
19. Jeanette J. Rainey, Walter O. Mwanda, Mark L. Wilson, Rosemary Rochford, Robert
W. Snow. Association between malaria endemicity and occurrence of endemic Burkitt’s
lymphoma in Kenya. 2004
20. Walter Mwanda. Psychological issues observed in children with cancer. PAPOS 11th
International Conference October 2004, Gallagher Estate, Midrand. Gauteng, South
Africa. Presentations (Podium).
21. Mwanda O. W., Rochford Rosemary, Jenetter Rainey, Mark L. Wilson. The
Epidemiological and clinical aspects of Burkitt’s lymphoma in Kenya: Linking evidence
and experience. NCI-UICC-AMAAC Joint Conference. March 2005. National Cancer
Institute, Cairo, Egypt. Presentations (Podium).
22. Mwanda O. W., Christopher W., Scot CR., Lederman M., Orem J., Banura C. Virus
associated Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma show anatomical sites predilections. NCI-UICC-
AMAAC Joint Conference. 21-25th March 2005. National Cancer Institute, Cairo, Egypt.
23. Mwanda O. W. Scientific cooperation. Visit of the Haemophilia Centre Frankfurt,
Germany, May 2005. Presentation (Podium).
24. Mwanda O. W. The Nairobi Haemophilia Centre. The Haemophilia Centre Frankfurt,
Germany, May 2005. Presentations (Podium).
25.Mwanda O W . Scot C R. Oral Chemotherapy in AIDS related nonHodkins
Lymphomas 10th international AIDS malignancy Conference National Cancer Institute ,
Bethesda M D USA. October 2006 (podium).
26Mwanda O W Scot C R Anatomical Sites predilection of Virus Associated
malignancies.Congresso Brasileiro de ONCOLOGIA PEDIATRICA 14 a 18 de
novembro de 2006 Bahia Othon Palace Hotel (podium).
Current Research and Study Projects:
• Aspects of Thrombosis in Kenya
• Review of the Paediatric Malignancies in Kenya
• Establishment of Standard operating procedures and Quality Assurance in
• Hydroxyurea and sicklers in Kenya.
• Analysis of Haemoglobin F levels and geo-demographic characteristics of
homozygous Sickle cell cases in Kenya.
• Oral chemotherapy in AIDS-related Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in Uganda, Kenya
and U.S.A – CWRU 2498. Funded Project.
• AIDS-related malignancies in Kenya.
Autologous blood transfusion in Kenyatta National Hospital
Collaborations, joint research and proposals:
Human Immunodeficiency virus infection and malignancies especially malignant lymphoma - Case
Western Reserve University, Department of Epidemiology, Infectious Diseases Unit. I spent two
weeks in May 199 regarding this collaboration.
- Malaria and anaemia in malaria hyper endemic areas of Kenya. Case
Western Reserve University - Unit of Geographic Medicine.
- Burkitt’s lymphoma and HIV infection in Kenya. Case Western University,
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
- Factor IX deficiency molecular biology from five continents, Mayo Clinic,
USA. A Member of staff Mr Jackson Ireri has had a course in Mayo, aimed at
strengthening research activities in haemostasis and thrombosis.
- Haemophilia complications and updating management: Ospederella du
- Africa Region Paediatric Cancer Survey, SIOP Nationals project. A paper was read
in September 1998 in Cassablanca Morocco, on my behalf by a staff member Dr
Fatma Abdallah regarding the results of the paediatrics cancer survey results for
- HIV/AIDS malignancies
- HIV/AIDS Cancer Bank Resource Centre
- Burkitt’s Lymphoma environmental Factors
- Burkitt’s Lymphoma EBV, HHV 8 and viral Factors
2007 Outstanding Scientist of the 21st century
2006 Elder of the Order of the Burning Spear (EBS) Kenya
2001World Authority on Burkitt’s Lymphoma.
Committee for the establishment of Cancer Treatment in the underprivileged
1999 Who Is Who In The World.
1998 New York Academy of Sciences
1996 Best doctor staff relationship in the private wing of the Kenyatta National
1. Prof Scot C Remick M.D.
Professor of Medicine, Oncology and Global Health and Diseases
Associate Director for Clinical Research Program Leader Developmental Therapeutics.,
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or scot .email@example.com.
Fax (216) 44-5234 (Division-368-1166) Tel. 216-844-1210.
2. Prof. K. M. Bhatt,
(Associate Professor ,Department of Clinical Medicine and Therapeutics
University of Nairobi),
P. O. Box 19676,
3. Prof. S. M. Bhatt,
(Professor of Medicine in the Department of Clinical Medicine and Therapeutics
University of Nairobi),
P. O. Box 19676,
4. Prof. P. A. Odhiambo
(Professor of Surgery Department of Surgery University of Nairobi)
Department of surgery,
University of Nairobi,
P. O. Box 19676.