George R. Buchanan
Born: April 21, 1944, Bloomington, Illinois
Business: Department of Pediatrics
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, Texas 75390-9063
214-648-8594 – Telephone
214-648-3122 – Fax
Home: 6324 Lafayette Way
Dallas, TX 75230
Marital Status: Married to Christine E. Buchanan, Ph.D., Professor of Biological Sciences
Southern Methodist University, Dallas; no children
1962-66 B.A. (with honors), Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa
1966-70 M.D., University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
Clinical and Research Training:
1970-71 Pediatric Intern, Children's Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
1971-73 Pediatric Resident, Children's Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
1973-75 Fellow in Medicine (Hematology), Children's Hospital, Boston, MA
1974-75 Fellow in Pediatric Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA
1975-77 Instructor in Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
1977-80 Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at
Dallas (UT Southwestern), Dallas, TX
1980-86 Associate Professor of Pediatrics (with tenure), UT Southwestern, Dallas
1980-Present Director, Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, UT Southwestern, Dallas
1986-Present Professor of Pediatrics, UT Southwestern, Dallas, TX
1993-Present Children's Cancer Fund Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Oncology and Hematology, UT
Southwestern, Dallas, TX
2003-Present Director, Barrett Family Center for Pediatric Oncology, UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas
2003-Present Director, Southwestern Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center, Dallas, Texas
1975-77 Assistant in Medicine (Hematology-Oncology), Children's Hospital, Boston MA
1975-77 Senior Clinical Associate in Pediatrics, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston MA
1977-Present Attending Physician, Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, TX
1977-Present Attending Physician, Children's Medical Center, Dallas, TX
2005-Present Attending Physician, UT Southwestern University Hospitals, Dallas, TX
1980-Present Medical Director, Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, Children's Medical Center Dallas, Dallas, TX
Professional Society Memberships:
American Society of Hematology
Society for Pediatric Research
American Society of Clinical Oncology
American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
American Academy of Pediatrics, Section of Hematology-Oncology
Texas Pediatric Society
Dallas County Medical Society
Texas Medical Association
American Pediatric Society
American Association of Blood Banks
World Federation of Hemophilia
American Board of Pediatrics
International Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis
Hemophilia Thrombosis Research Society
1965 Phi Beta Kappa (Junior year)
1966 Ross Award for Excellence in Biology, Drake University
1970 Alpha Omega Alpha
1970 Joseph A. Capps Award for Proficiency in Clinical Medicine, University of Chicago
1976 National Institutes of Health Special Research Fellowship
1978 Teaching Excellence Award, Children's Medical Center, Dallas
1989 Teaching Excellence Award, Children's Medical Center, Dallas
1991 Listed in "The Best Doctors in America," 1st Edition
1993 Outstanding Faculty Award from House Staff, Children's Medical Center
1994 Distinguished Service Award from Children's Medical Foundation, Dallas
1994 Listed in "The Best Doctors in America," 2nd Edition
2002 Listed in “The Best Doctors in America”, 3rd Edition
2003 Physician Hero Award Finalist, Dallas Business Journal
2004 Listed in “The Best Doctors in America”, 4th Edition
2004 Honored by Texas Central Hemophilia Association
2005 Third & Fourth Year Medical Student Teaching Award, UT Southwestern
2005 Honoree at Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer 25th Anniversary Gala
2006 Listed in “America’s Top Doctors”, 6th Edition
2007 Distinguished Career Award, American Society of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
2007 Listed in “Best Doc of America” Database
1975 American Board of Pediatrics (Certificate #18310)
1976 American Board of Pediatrics, Sub-Board of Hematology-Oncology
1992 American Board of Pediatrics Recertification in Pediatrics and Hematology-Oncology (Certificate
2000 American Board of Pediatrics Recertification in Pediatrics and Hematology-Oncology
Medical Licensure: Texas (E9128)
Committees, Panels, and Other Leadership Positions (Partial Listing):
Hospital (Children’s Medical Center Dallas unless otherwise noted)
1980-86 Resident Affairs Committee(Chair 1980-82)
1980-90 Blood Transfusion Committee,(Chair 1980-82)
1981-83 & Cancer Committee, Parkland Memorial Hospital
1985-88 Medical Records Committee (Chair 1985-87)
1986-87 Medical Board
1988-1994 Long Range Planning Committee (Chair 1990-94)
1988-1989 Transfusion Committee, Parkland Memorial Hospital
1992-2004 Cancer Committee (Chair 1992-95)
1995-1996 Budget and Planning Committee
1998 Credentials Committee Chair
1999 President Elect of Medical Staff
2000 President of Medical Staff
2000 Capital Campaign Steering Committee
2003-2006 Campaign Leadership Council, wePromise Campaign for Children’s
2006-Present Clinical Program Development Committee
2006- Legacy Planning Committee
1980-1985 Vice-Chairman, Advisory Committee, Texas Hemophilia Assistance Program, Texas State Department
1983-Present Advisory Committee, Texas Department of Health Sickle Cell Disease Newborn Screening Program
1985-1986 Clinical Investigation Committee, Texas Legislative Task Force on Cancer
1987-1992 Hematology-Oncology Advisory Committee, Chronically Ill & Disabled Children's Division, Texas
Department of Health
1981 Dean's Committee on the Future of Medical Education
1990-1991 Cancer Center Director Search Committee
1993 Transplant Services Center Medical Advisory Board
1995 Clinical Department Review Committee
1995-Present Cancer Center Clinical Executive Committee
2002 Cancer Center Director Search Committee
2004-Present K12 Clinical Scholar Program Selection Committee
2005-Present Dean’s Advisory Committee on Clinical Research
2006- Chair, Institutional Review Board
Pediatric Oncology Group/Children’s Oncology Group (C.O.G.)
Executive Committee (1984-86 and 1993-1997)
Lymphoid Relapse Committee (Chair 1989-1995)
Institutional Performance Review Committee (1981-1985)
Principal Investigator's Committee (Chair 1993-1997)
Hematology-Oncology Discipline Core Committee (1987-2001)
Nominating Committee (Chair 1990 – 1991)
Governance Committee (Co-chair 1999 – 2000)
C.O.G. Nominating Committee (Chair 2000-2001)
Cancer Control Task Force (2002-2004)
1992-1996 Medical and Scientific Advisory Council, National Hemophilia Foundation
1993-1998 Pediatric Hydroxyurea Data Safety and Monitoring Board, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
1995-1997 Oncology Training Programs Committee, American Society of Clinical Oncology
1996 & 2004 Hemophilia and Thrombosis Research Society, Nominating Committee (Chair)
1997- Board Member, Intercontinental Childhood ITP Study Group, Basel, Switzerland
1998-2005 Childhood Cancer Survivor Study, Publications Committee
2001- Medical Advisory Committee, ITP Support Association, United Kingdom
2001-Present External Review Board, Glaser Pediatric Research Network
2001-2003 Protocol Review Committee, Thalassemia Clinical Research Network, NHLBI
2003- Director, NHLBI-funded Southwestern Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center
2006-2007 Working Group Co-chair, NHLBI Strategic Planning
2006- Chair, Protocol Review Committee, Sickle Cell Disease Clinical Research Network, NHLBI
2006- Medical Advisory Board, ITP Foundation, Darien, CT
2006- Scientific Advisory Committee, St. Baldrick’s Foundation
American Academy of Pediatrics
1998-2000 Executive Committee, Section on Hematology-Oncology
2001-2002 Nominating Committee, Section on Hematology-Oncology
American Board of Pediatrics
1992-1997 Subboard in Hematology-Oncology (Chair 1994-1997)
1998-2001 Long Range Planning Committee
American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
1995- Publications, Program, and Health Care Reform and Public Issues Committees
1997-1998 Chair of Program Committee
1997-1999 Vice President and President Elect
2001-Present Review Course Planning Committee (Chair)
1997-2004 Board of Trustees member
2002-2004 Nominating Committee (Chair)
2004- Continuing Education and Certification Committee (Chair 2004 - 2006)
2006- Career Development Committee
2007 Distinguished Career Awardee
American Society of Hematology
1982-1984 Pediatric Hematology Subcommittee
2001-2005 Councillor and Executive Committee Member
2002-2003 Task Force on Quality Care and Clinical Affairs (Chair)
2002-2007 Self Assessment Program Textbook Author
2005-2007 Clinical Research Training Institute (Co-chair)
2005-Present Nominating Committee (Chair 2007 - )
2007 Sickle Cell Disease Workshop (Co-chair)
American Society of Clinical Oncology
1995.1997 Oncology Training Programs Committee
2001-2002 Pediatric Oncology Task Force
2001 Task Force on Early Career Development
Hemophilia Thrombosis Research Society
2002-Present Nominating Committee
2006 Mentoring Committee
Pediatric Academic Societies (Society of Pediatric Research and American Pediatric Society)
2005-Present Program Committee (Hematology-Oncology Representative)
1981-1983 Sickle Cell Anemia Foundation of Dallas, Inc., Board of Directors
1982-1985 American Cancer Society, Texas Division, Dallas Chapter, Board of Directors
1983-Present Medical Advisor, National Hemophilia Foundation, Texas Central Chapter
1983-Present Advisory Board, Children's Cancer Fund, Inc.
1985-Present Board of Directors, Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer
1987-1988 Health Care Task Force, Dallas AIDS Planning Commission
1989-Present Medical Advisory Board, Special Camps for Special Kids
1993-2004 Medical Advisory Committee, Carter BloodCare
Regular Editorial Consultant (Partial Listing):
New England Journal of Medicine Journal of Clinical Oncology
Journal of Pediatrics Pediatrics
Journal of Pediatrics, 1996 – 2005
Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, 1996 – 2003
American Journal of Hematology, 2007 -
Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 2004 - (Associate Editor)
Visiting Professorships/Major Invited Lectures
(Past 12 years)
University of Pennsylvania, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, January 1994
Baylor College of Medicine, February 1994
MD Anderson Cancer Center, February 1994
Armed Forces Pediatric Symposium, Seattle, March 1994
Johns Hopkins, November 1994
Children's Hospital of Michigan, February 1995
All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, Florida, November 1995
University of Oklahoma, November 1995
Stanford University, January 1996
Cornell Medical Center/New York Hospital, May 1996
University of Colorado Medical Center, January 1997
University of Virginia, April 1997
Thai Hematology Society, Bangkok, January 1998
St. Paul Children’s Hospital, February 1998
Duke University, March 1998
Children’s Hospital of Michigan, May 1998
University of Washington, Seattle, October 1998
Northwest Pediatric Society, Portland, March 1999
University of Iowa, Iowa City, April 2001
University of Utah and Huntsman Cancer Center, Salt Lake City, May 2001
Nemours Children’s Center, Jacksonville, Florida, August 2001
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, January 2002
Arkansas Children’s Hospital, August 2002
Medical College of Georgia, March 2003
Emory and Children’s Healthcare, March 2003
University of Oklahoma, April 2003
University of California San Francisco, May 2003
Miami Children’s Hospital, September 2003
Intercontinental ITP Study Group Meeting, Burgenstock, Switzerland, September 2003
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, October 2003
Latin American Society of Pediatrics, Panama City, Panama, November 2003
Miami Children’s Hospital, Miami, February 2004
Cook Children’s Medical Center, Fort Worth, April 2004
ITP Support Association, Bedford, UK, April 2004
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, August 2004
Phoenix Children’s Hospital, October 2004
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, April 2005
Platelet Disorder Support Association, San Francisco, June 2005
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, August 2005
Children’s Cancer Congress, Amman, Jordan, September 2005
Miami Children’s Hospital, Miami, February 2006
New York University, March 2006
Case Western Reserve University, October 2006
Texas Children’s Cancer Center Research Seminar, March 2007
ITP Support Association, Oxford UK, April 2007
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, October 2007
Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, February 2008
Current Support for George R. Buchanan, M.D.
5 U54 HL70588 Principal Investigator 4/1/03 – 3/31/08
Title: Southwestern Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center
Source: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
One of ten NHLBI national Sickle Cell Centers which provides education and medical care to patients with sickle
3 U54 HL70588-S1 Principal Investigator 4/1/05 – 3/31/08
Title: Southwestern Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center
Research Training Supplement
Source: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute
To recruit and select promising academic investigators to focus on sickle cell disease initiatives.
5 T32 CA09640-17 Principal Investigator 3/1/90 - 6/30/10
Title: Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Research
Source: National Cancer Institute (T32 Training Grant)
To provide clinical research training for hematology-oncology fellows.
5 H30 MC00029-18 Principal Investigator of Subcontract 6/1/07 - 5/31/08
Title: North Texas Hemophilia Center
Region 5 Hemophilia Program
Source: The University of Texas Health Science Center Houston/
DHHS - Maternal Child Health Bureau; PI: W. Keith Hoots, MD
Clinical care, diagnostic services, and research involving hemophilia, HIV/AIDS risk reduction and support of treatment.
1 U01 DD0096-01 Principal Investigator of Subcontract 9/30/06 – 9/29/07
Title: North Texas Hemophilia Center
Region 5 Hemophilia Program
Source: The University of Texas Health Science Center Houston/
DHHS – Centers for Disease Control; PI: W. Keith Hoots, MD
Clinical care, diagnostic services, and research involving hemophilia, HIV/AIDS risk reduction and support of treatment.
5 UO1 HL72283 Principal Investigator of Subcontract
Title: Oklahoma – UT Southwestern Hemostasis Consortium 9/30/02 – 9/29/07
Source: University of Oklahoma/National Heart, Lung
and Blood Institute; PI: James N. George, MD
To conduct pediatric clinical trials in the Transfusion Medicine/Hemostasis Clinical Research Network.
1 R01 HL 078787 Russell Ware, MD (PI) 7/1/05 – 6/30/10
Title: SWiTCH Trial
Source: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
Role: Co-Investigator at participating site
Overlap: There is no budgetary, scientific, or effort overlap.
200-2006-15969 Principal Investigator 9/1/06 – 12/31/07
Title: Diamond Blackfan Anemia Education and Outreach Program
Source: Centers for Disease Control
Program aimed at delivering expert consultative and/or ongoing care to existing DBA patients in the medical center
and to patients referred by their primary and/or specialty physicians.
Wipe Out Kid’s Cancer (local fund) Principal Investigator Started 1984
To raise funds for clinical research and treatment of childhood cancer.
Children’s Cancer Fund (local fund) Principal Investigator Started 1982
To promote, support, and administer the financing of basic scientific and clinical research in childhood cancer and
associated blood disorders.
CPIMP052011-01 Principal Investigator
Title: MIRROR Program 7/1/05 – 12/31/06
Source:Department of Health and Human Services
To promote minority recruitment, retention, and opportunity for researchers (MIRROR) of the future.
Peer Reviewed Scientific Articles:
1. Buchanan GR, Schwartz AD: Impaired erythropoietin response in anemic premature infants. Blood
2. Buchanan GR: Acute hemolytic anemia as a presenting manifestation of Wilson's disease. J Pediatr
3. Latt SA, Stetten G, Juergens LA, Buchanan GR, Gerald P: Induction by alkylating agents of sister chromatid
exchanges and chromosomal breaks in Fanconi's anemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1975;72:4066-4070.
4. Buchanan GR, Boxer LA, Nathan DG: The acute and transient nature of idiopathic immune hemolytic
anemia in childhood. J Pediatr 1976;88:780-783.
5. Buchanan GR, Handin RI: Platelet function in the Chediak-Higashi syndrome. Blood 1976;47:941-948.
6. Glader BE, Buchanan GR: Care of the critically ill child: the bleeding neonate. Pediatrics 1976;58:548-555.
7. Buchanan GR, Scher C, Button LN, Nathan DG: Use of homologous platelet survival in the differential
diagnosis of chronic thrombocytopenia in childhood. Pediatrics 1977;59:49-54.
8. Buchanan GR, Green DM, Handin RI: Combined von Willebrand's disease and Hageman factor deficiency. J
9. Sallan SL, Buchanan GR: Selective erythroid aplasia during therapy for acute lymphoblastic leukemia.
10. Buchanan GR, Glader BE: The benign course of extreme hyperbilirubinemia in children with sickle cell
anemia. J Pediatr 1977;31:21-24.
11. Buchanan GR, Marvin V, Levine P, Scoon K, Handin RI: Effect of "anti-platelet" drugs on the bleeding time
and platelet aggregation in normal human subjects. Am J Clin Path 1977;68:355-359.
12. Buchanan GR, Glader BE: Leukocyte counts in children with sickle cell disease: comparative values in the
steady state, vaso-occlusive crisis, and bacterial infection. Am J Dis Child 1978;132:396-398.
13. Buchanan GR: Neonatal coagulation: normal physiology and pathophysiology. Clinics in Haematol
14. Buchanan GR, Kevy SV: Prothrombin complex concentrates in hemophiliacs with inhibitors: clinical and
laboratory observations. Pediatrics 1978;62:767-774.
15. Buchanan GR, Handin RI: Failure of three anti-platelet drugs to impair hemostasis in patients with
hemophilia. JAMA 1978;240:2173-2174.
16. Li F, Potter NU, Buchanan GR, Vawter C, Peng-Wang J: A family with acute leukemia, hypoplastic anemia,
and cerebellar ataxia: association with bone marrow C-monosomy. Amer J Med 1978;65:933-940.
17. Glader BE, Propper RD, Buchanan GR: Microcytosis associated with sickle cell anemia. Amer J Clin Path
18. Caballero F, Buchanan GR: Abetalipoproteinemia presenting as severe vitamin K deficiency. Pediatrics
19. Buchanan GR: Hemophilia. Pediatric Clinics of North America 1980;27:309-326.
20. Buchanan GR: Current concepts of von Willebrand's disease. Pediatr Annals 1980;9:328-341.
21. Buchanan GR, Bottomley SS, Nitschke R: Bone marrow delta-aminolevulinate synthase deficiency in a
female with congenital sideroblastic anemia. Blood 1980;53:109-115.
22. Buchanan GR, Schiffman G: Antibody responses to polyvalent pneumococcal vaccine in infants with sickle
cell anemia. J Pediatr 1980;96:262-266.
23. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp C: Anti-thrombin III deficiency in children with leukemia receiving L-
asparaginase. Med Pediatr Oncol 1980;8:7-14.
24. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp C: Prolonged bleeding time in children and young adults with hemophilia.
25. McGehee F, Buchanan GR: Trichophagia and trichobezoar: etiologic role of iron deficiency. J Pediatr
26. Buchanan GR, Sheehan RG: Malabsorption and defective utilization of iron in three siblings. J Pediatr
27. Buchanan GR, Alter B, Holtkamp CA, Walsh E: Platelet number and function in Diamond-Blackfan anemia.
28. Buchanan GR, Moore GC: Pulmonary hemosiderosis and immune thrombocytopenia: initial manifestations
of collagen-vascular disease. JAMA 1981;246:861-864.
29. Froelich TW, Buchanan GR, Cornet JAM, Sartain PA, Smith RG: Terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase-
containing cells in peripheral blood: implications for the surveillance of patients with lymphoblastic leukemia
or lymphoma in remission. Blood 1981;58:214-220.
30. Buchanan GR, Chipman JJ, Hamilton BL, Daughaday WH: Angiomatous lymphoid hamartoma: inhibitory
effects of erythropoiesis, growth, and primary hemostasis. J Pediatr 1981;99:382-388.
31. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA, Levy EN: Racial differences in ristocetin-induced platelet aggregation. Br J
32. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Platelet aggregation, malondialdehyde generation, and production time in
children with sickle cell anemia. Thromb Haemostas 1981;46:690-693.
33. Shannon K, Buchanan GR, Votteler TP: Multiple hepatic hemangiomas: failure of steroid therapy and
successful hepatic artery ligation. Am J Dis Child 1982;136:275-276.
34. Shannon K, Buchanan GR: Severe hemolytic anemia in black children with glucose-6-phosphate-
dehydrogenase deficiency. Pediatrics 1982;70:364-369.
35. Buchanan GR: Congenital polycythemia in the absence of detectable erythropoietin. J Pediatr
36. Keely K, Buchanan GR: Acute infarction of long bones in children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr
37. Buchanan GR, Siegel JD, Smith SJ, DePasse BM: Oral penicillin prophylaxis in children with impaired
splenic function: a study of compliance. Pediatrics 1982;70:926-930.
38. Shannon K, Fink CW, Buchanan GR, Punaro M, Stastny P: Lymphocyte subpopulations in Kawasaki
disease. Clin Exp Rheumatol 1983;1:59-62.
39. Sasaki J, Waterman MR, Buchanan GR, Cottam GL: Plasma and erythrocyte lipids in sickle cell anemia. Clin
Lab Haemat 1983;5:35-44.
40. Turner GR, Marks JF, Buchanan GR: Relative hyperglucagonemia in L-asparaginase and prednisone induced
glucose intolerance. Clin Pediatr 1983;22:363-367.
41. Fearon ER, Kazazian HH Jr, Waber PG, Lee JI, Antonarakis SE, Orkin SH, Vanin EF, Henthorn PS,
Grosveld FH, Scott AF, Buchanan GR: The entire γ-globin gene cluster is deleted in a form of γδβ-
thalassemia. Blood 1983;61:1269-1274.
42. Buchanan GR, Smith SJ, Holtkamp CA, Fuseler J: Bacterial infection and splenic reticuloendothelial
function in children with hemoglobin SC disease. Pediatrics 1983;72:93-98.
43. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Evidence against enhanced platelet activity in sickle cell anaemia. Br J
44. Buchanan GR, Bowman P, Smith SJ: Recurrent cerebral ischemia during hypertransfusion therapy in sickle
cell anemia. J Pediatr 1983;103:921-923.
45. Shannon K, Ball E, Wasserman R, Murphy FK, Luby J, Buchanan GR: Transfusion associated
cytomegalovirus infection and acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) in an infant. J Pediatr
46. Sonnier JA, Buchanan GR, Howard-Peebles PN, Rutledge J, Smith RG: Chromosomal translocation
involving the kappa and heavy immunoglobulin chain loci in a child with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. N
Engl J Med 1983;309:590-594.
47. Anglin D, Siegel J, Pacini D, Smith SJ, Adams G, Buchanan GR: The effect of penicillin prophylaxis on
nasopharyngeal colonization with Streptococcus pneumoniae in children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr
48. Shannon K, Buchanan GR, Fink CW, Stastny P: Lymphocyte populations in childhood idiopathic
thrombocytopenic purpura. Am J Dis Child 1984;138:64-65.
49. Andrews J, Buchanan GR: Mild splenic sequestration crises in sickle hemoglobin C disease. Clin Pediatr
50. Walterspiel J, Schad GA, Buchanan GR: Direct transfer of adult hookworms (Anclyostoma duodenale) from
dog to child for therapeutic purposes. J Parasitol 1984;70:217-219.
51. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Prednisone therapy for children with newly diagnosed idiopathic
thrombocytopenic purpura. A randomized clinical trial. Am J Ped Hem/Onc 1984;6:355-361.
52. Buchanan GR: Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in childhood. Texas Medicine 1985;81:46-49.
53. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Splenic reticuloendothelial function in children with cancer. J Pediatr
54. Balaban EP, Buchanan GR, Graham M, Frenkel E: The Diamond-Blackfan syndrome in the adult patient.
Amer J Med 1985;78:533-538.
55. Buchanan GR: The mild anemia of acute infection. Pediatr Infec Dis 1985;4:225-228.
56. Buchanan GR: Childhood acute idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: How many tests and how much
treatment required? J Pediatr 1985;106:928-930.
57. Walterspiel JN, Buchanan GR, Schad GA, Carpentieri U: Erythropoietin-induced congenital erythrocytosis:
treatment with myelosuppressive agents and hookworm infestation. J Pediatr 1985;107:575-578.
58. Buchanan GR, Buchsbaum HJ, O'Banion K, Gojer B: Extravasation of actinomycin-D, vincristine, and cis-
diamminedichloroplatinum: studies in an animal model. Med Ped Oncol 1985;13:375-380.
59. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Plasma levels of platelet and vascular prostaglandin derivatives in children
with sickle cell anemia. Thrombos Haemostas 1985;54:394-396.
60. Alvarado CS, Buchanan GR, Kim TH, Zaatari G, Sartain P: Use of VP-16-213 in the treatment of familial
erythrophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Cancer 1986;57:1097-1100.
61. Shannon K, Nunez G, Dow LW, Weinberg AG, Sato Y, Stastny P, Buchanan GR: Surface antigen
phenotyping by monoclonal antibodies and cytogenetic studies of in vitro colonies in juvenile chronic
myelogenous leukemia. Pediatrics 1986;77:330-335.
62. Buchanan GR, Richards N, Sexauer C, Stevens B: Serologic response to hepatitis B vaccine in children
receiving multiple blood transfusions. Pediatr Inf Dis 1986;5:68-70.
63. Buchanan GR, Smith SJ: Pneumococcal septicemia despite a penicillin prophylaxis program in children with
sickle cell anemia: a problem of compliance. Am J Dis Child 1986;140:428-432.
64. Buchanan GR, Richards N, Holtkamp CA, Rutledge J: Hepatitis in household contacts of multi-transfused
hemophiliacs. J Pediatr 1986;108:937-939.
65. Rivera GK, Buchanan G, Boyett J, Camitta B, Ochs J, Kalwinsky D, Amylon M, Vietti TJ, Crist WM:
Intensive retreatment of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia in first bone marrow relapse. N Engl J Med
66. Buchanan GR: Coagulation disorders in the neonate. Pediat Clin N Amer 1986;33:203-220.
67. Sprinkle RH, Cole T, Smith S, Buchanan GR: Acute chest syndrome in children with sickle cell disease: a
retrospective analysis of 100 hospitalized patients. Am J Pediatr Hematol/Oncol 1986;8:105-110.
68. Gootenberg JE, Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA, Casey C: Severe hemorrhage in a patient with gray platelet
syndrome. J Pediatr 1986;109:1017-1019.
69. Cole TB, Sprinkle RH, Smith SJ, Buchanan GR: Intravenous narcotic infusions for children with severe
sickle cell pain crisis. Amer J Dis Child 1986;140:1255-1259.
70. Cole T, Smith J, Buchanan GR: Hematologic alterations during acute infection in children with sickle cell
disease. Pediatr Inf Dis 1987;6:454-457.
71. Buchanan GR: The nontreatment of childhood idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Eur J Pediatr
72. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA, Horton JA: Formation and disappearance of pocked erythrocytes: studies in
human subjects and laboratory animals. Am J Hematol 1987;25:243-251.
73. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Pocked erythrocyte counts in patients with hereditary spherocytosis before and
after splenectomy. Am J Hematol 1987;25:253-257.
74. Hetherington ML, Huntsman PR, Smith RG, Buchanan GR: Terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase (TdT)-
containing peripheral blood mononuclear cells during remission of acute lymphoblastic leukemia: low
sensitivity and specificity prevent accurate prediction of relapse. Leukemia Res 1987;11:537-544.
75. Lauer SJ, Pinkel D, Kun LE, Buchanan GR, Sartain PA, Krance R, Borella LD, Casper JT, Hoffman RG,
Camitta BM, Cornet JAM: Cytosine arabinoside/cyclophos- phamide pulses during continuation therapy for
childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Potential selective effect in T-cell leukemia. Cancer
76. Buchanan GR, Kamen BA: Childhood acute leukemia as a prototype of curable cancer. Texas Medicine
77. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Reduced hemoglobin values in children and young adults with hemophilia.
78. Yoffe G, Buchanan GR: Intracranial hemorrhage in newborn and young infants with hemophilia. J Pediatr
79. Buchanan GR: The war against childhood cancer: a partial victory. Dallas Med J 1988;74:206-210.
80. Hetherington M, Buchanan GR: Elevated serum transaminase values during therapy for acute lymphoblastic
leukemia. Cancer 1988;62:1614-1618.
81. Winick N, Buchanan GR, Murphy SB, Yu A, Boyett J: Deoxycoformycin treatment for childhood T-cell
acute lymphoblastic leukemia early in second remission: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. Med Pediatr
82. Buchanan GR, Rivera G, Boyett J, Chauvenet A, Crist W, Vietti T: Reinduction therapy in 297 children with
acute lymphoblastic leukemia in first bone marrow relapse. A Pediatric Oncology Group study. Blood
83. Rodriguez RC, Buchanan GR, Clanton KS: Prophylactic cryoprecipitate in congenital afibrinogenemia. Clin
84. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: A comparable study of variables affecting the bleeding time using two
disposable devices. Am J Clin Path 1989;19:45-51.
85. Rivera GK, Santana V, Mahmoud H, Buchanan G, Crist WM: Acute lymphocytic leukemia of childhood:
The problem of relapses. Bone Marrow Transplant 989;4(Suppl.1):80-85.
86. Yoffe G, Schneider N, Van Dyk L, Yang CY-C, Siciliano M, Buchanan G, Capra JD, Baer R: The
chromosome translocation (11;14) (p13;q11) associated with T cell acute lymphocytic leukemia: An 11-13
breakpoint cluster region. Blood 1989;74:374-379.
87. Buchanan GR: Overview of ITP treatment modalities in children. Blut 1989;59:95-104.
88. Pappo A, Buchanan GR: Acute splenic sequestration in a two-month-old infant with sickle cell anemia.
89. Pappo A, Buchanan GR, Johnson A: Septic arthritis in patients with hemophilia. AJDC 1989;143:1226-1228.
90. Buchanan GR, McKie V, Jackson EA, Vedro DA, Hamner S. Holtkamp CA: Splenic phagocytic function in
children with sickle cell anemia receiving chronic hypertransfusion therapy. J Pediatr 1989;115:568-572.
91. Dubansky AS, Boyett J, Falletta J, Mahoney DH, Land VJ, Pullen J, Buchanan GR: Isolated
thrombocytopenia in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A rare event in a Pediatric Oncology
Group Study. Pediatrics 1989;84:1068-1071.
92. Rogers ZR, Bergstrom SK, Amylon MD, Buchanan GR, Glader BE: Reduced neutrophil counts in children
with transient erythroblastopenia of childhood. J Pediatr 1989;115:746-748.
93. Shannon KM, Clemons GK, Torkildson JC, Buchanan GR, Mentzer WC: Spontaneous resolution of primary
erythrocytosis in two girls. Pediatr Hematol/Oncol 1989;6:373-382.
94. Yoffe G, Howard-Peebles PN, Smith RG, Tucker PW, Buchanan GR: Childhood chronic lymphocytic
leukemia with t(2;14) translocation. J Pediatr 1990;116:114-117.
95. Chin Q, Cheng J-T, Schneider N, Buchanan G, Carroll A, Crist W, Ozanne B, Siciliano MJ, Baer R0: The tal
gene undergoes chromosome translocation in T cell leukemia and potentially encodes a helix-loop-helix
protein. EMBO Journal 1990;9:415-424.
96. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA, Johnson A: Reduced serum haptoglobin values in hemophiliacs receiving
monoclonally purified Factor VIII concentrates. Am J Hematol 1990;33:234-237.
97. Carroll AJ, Crist WM, Link MP, Amylon MD, Pullen J, Ragab AH, Buchanan GR, Wimmer RS, Vietti TJ:
The t(1;14)(p24;q11) is nonrandom and restricted to T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric
Oncology Group study. Blood 1990;76:1220-1224.
98. Jonsson O, Sartain P, Ducore JM, Buchanan GR: Bone pain as an initial symptom of childhood acute
lymphoblastic leukemia: association with near normal hematologic indices. J Pediatr 1990;117:233-237.
99. Brown L, Cheng J-T, Chin Q, Siciliano MJ, Crist W, Buchanan G, Baer R: Site-specific recombination of the
tal-1 gene is a common occurrence in human T-cell leukemia. EMBO Journal 1990;9:3343-3351.
100. Ochs J, Rivera GK, Pollock BH, Buchanan G, Crist W, Freeman AI: Teniposide (VM-26) and continuous
infusion cytosine arabinoside for initial induction failure in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer
101. Buchanan GR: Diagnosis and management of relapse in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Hematol Oncol Clin
N Amer 1990;4:971-995.
102. Mullen CA, Buchanan GR: Early hospital discharge of children with cancer treated for fever and
neutropenia: identification and management of the low risk patient. J Clin Oncol 1990;8:1998-2004.
103. Rogers ZR, Morrison RA, Vedro DA, Buchanan GR: Outpatient management of febrile illness in infants and
young children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr 1990;117:736-739.
104. Sanders JM, Holtkamp CA, Buchanan GR: The bleeding time may be longer in children than adults. Am J
Pediatr Hematol/Oncol 1990;12:314-318.
105. Jonsson OG, Buchanan GR: Chronic neutropenia in childhood: a thirteen year experience from a single
institution. AJDC 1991;145:232-235.
106. Katz JA, Chambers B, Everhart C, Marks JF, Buchanan GR: Linear growth in children with acute
lymphoblastic leukemia treated without cranial irradiation. J Pediatr 1991;118:575-578.
107. Cohen AR, Buchanan GR, Martin M, Ohene-Frempong K: Increased blood requirements during long-term
transfusion therapy for sickle cell disease. J Pediatr 1991;118:405-407.
108. Ochs J Brecher M, Mahoney D, Ragab A, Pollock B, Buchanan G, Whitehead M, Ravindranath Y, Freeman
A: Recombinant interferon-α given before and in combination with standard chemotherapy in children with
acute lymphocytic leukemia in first marrow relapse. A Pediatric Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol
109. Griffin TC, Squires JE, Timmons CF, Buchanan GR: Chronic human parvovirus B19-induced erythroid
hypoplasia as the initial manifestation of human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Pediatr
110. Hoots WK, Buchanan GR, Parmley RT, Alperin JB, Kletzel M, Sexauer CL: Comprehensive care for
patients with hemophilia: an expanded role in reducing risk for human immunodeficiency virus. Texas
111. Buchanan GR, Boyett JM, Pollock BH, Smith SD, Yanowsky RA, Kim TH, Wharam MD, Crist WM, Vietti
TJ, Johnson W, Rivera GK: Improved treatment results in boys with testicular relapse during or shortly
following initial therapy of acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. Cancer
112. Jonsson OG, Kitchens RL, Baer RJ, Buchanan GR, Smith RG: Rearrangements of the tal-1 locus as clonal
markers for T cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Clin Invest 1991;87:2029-2035.
113. Pappo A, Schneider NR, Sanders JM, Buchanan GR: Secondary myelodysplastic syndrome complicating
therapy for osteogenic sarcoma. Cancer 1991;68:1373-1375.
114. Katz JA, Bash R, Cash J, Buchanan GR: The yield of routine chest radiography in child with cancer
hospitalized for fever and neutropenia. Cancer 1991;68:940-943.
115. Weitman SD, Buchanan GR, Kamen BA: Pulmonary toxicity of deferoxamine in children with advanced
cancer. J Natl Canc Inst 1991;83:1834-1835.
116. Michel JB, Hernandez JA, Buchanan GR: A fatal case of acute splenic sequestration in a 53 year old woman
with sickle-hemoglobin C disease. Am J Med 1992;92:97-100.
117. Wofford MM, Smith SD, Shuster JJ, Johnson W, Buchanan GR, Wharam MD, Ritchey AK, Rosen D,
Haggard ME, Golembe BL, Rivera GK: Treatment of occult or late overt testicular relapse in children with
acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol 1992;10:624-630.
118. Winick NJ, Bowman WP, Kamen BA, Roach ES, Rollins N, Jacaruso D, Buchanan GR: Unexpected acute
neurologic toxicity in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Natl Canc Inst 1992;82:252-256.
119. Pappo AS, Fields BW, Buchanan GR: Etiology of red blood cell macrocytosis during childhood: Impact of
new diseases and therapies. Pediatrics 1992;89:1063-1067.
120. Griffin TC, Buchanan GR: Hematologic predictors of bone marrow recovery in neutropenic patients
hospitalized for fever: Implications for discontinuation of antibiotics and early hospital discharge. J Pediatr
121. Abshire TC, Buchanan GR, Jackson JF, Shuster JJ, Brock B, Head D, Crist WM, Link MP, Borowitz M,
Pullen DJ: Morphologic, immunologic, and cytogenetic studies at time of first marrow relapse in children
with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL): A Pediatric Oncology Group study. Leukemia 1992;6:357-362.
122. Katz JA, Bash RO, Cash JV, Buchanan GR: The value of C-reactive protein determination in the diagnostic
evaluation of the febrile, neutropenic child with cancer. Pediatr Inf Dis 1992;11:708-722.
123. Vats T, Buchanan G, Mehta P, Ragab A, Hvizdala E, Nitschke R, Link M, Beardsley GP, Maybee D,
Krischer J: A study of toxicity and comparative therapeutic efficacy of vindesine-prednisone vs. vincristine-
prednisone in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in relapse. A Pediatric Oncology Group study.
Invest New Drugs 1992;10:231-234.
124. Troisi CL, Hollinger FB, Hoots WK, Contant C, Gill J, Magni M, Parmley R, Sexauer C, Gomperts E,
Buchanan G, Schwartz B, Adair S, Fields H: A multicenter study of viral hepatitis in a United States
hemophilic population. Blood 1993;81:412-418.
125. Winick N, McKenna RW, Shuster JJ, Schneider NR, Borowitz MJ, Bowman WP, Jacaruso D, Kamen BA,
Buchanan GR: Secondary acute myeloid leukemia in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia treated with
etoposide. J Clin Oncol 1993;11:209-217.
126. Winick NJ, Smith SD, Shuster J, Lauer S. Wharam MD, Land V, Buchanan G, Rivera G: Treatment of CNS
relapse in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol
127. Sadowitz PD, Smith SD, Shuster J, Wharam MD, Buchanan GR, Rivera GK: Treatment of late bone marrow
relapse in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. Blood
128. Bash RO, Crist WM, Shuster JJ, Link MP, Amylon M, Pullen J, Buchanan GR, Smith RG, Baer R: Clinical
features and outcome of T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia in childhood with respect to alterations of the
TAL1 locus. A Pediatric Oncology Group Study. Blood 1993;81:1889-1897.
129. Ragni MV, Belle SH, Jaffe RA, Duerstein SL, Bass DC, McMillan CW, Lovrien EW, Aledort LM, Kisker
CT, Stabler SP, Hoots WK, Hilgartner MW, Cox-Gill J, Buchanan GR, Sanders NL, Brettler DB, Barron LE,
Goldsmith JC, Ewenstein B, Smith KJ, Green D, Addiego JE, Kingsley LA: Acquired immunodeficiency
syndrome associated with non-Hodgkin's lymphomas and other malignancies in patients with hemophilia.
130. Griffin TC, Buchanan GR: Elective surgery in children with sickle cell disease without preoperative blood
transfusion. J Pediatr Surg 1993;28:681-685.
131. Bernstein ML, Whitehead VM, Devine S, Grier H, Kung F, Krischer J, Dreyer Z, Bell B, Land V, Buchanan
GR, Pratt C: Ifosfamide with MESNA uroprotection and etopposide in recurrent/refractory acute leukemia in
childhood. A Pediatric Oncology Group study. Cancer 1993;72:1790-1794.
132. Katz JA, Buchanan GR: Childhood cancer - A bittersweet victory. Dallas Med J 1993;79.
133. Bernini JC, Buchanan GR, Ashcraft J: Hypoprothrombinemia and severe hemorrhage associated with a lupus
anticoagulant. J Pediatr 1993;123:937-939.
134. Mustafa MM, Pappo A, Cash J, Winick NJ, Buchanan GR: Aerosolized pentamidine for the prevention of
Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in children with cancer intolerant or allergic to
trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:258-261.
135. Zappa SC, Johnson AG, Cochran CJ, Sanders JM, Buchanan GR: Implantable intravenous access devices in
children with hemophilia. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 1994;148:327-330.
136. Griffin TC, McIntire D, Buchanan GR: High-dose intravenous methylprednisolone therapy for severe painful
events in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease: A randomized, placebo-controlled study. N Engl J
137. Fort DW, Bernini JC, Johnson A, Cochran CJ, Buchanan GR: Splenic rupture in hemophilia. Am J Pediatr
138. Lauer SJ, Ochs J, Pollock BH, Buchanan GR: Recombinant alpha-2b interferon treatment for childhood T-
lymphoblastic disease in relapse. A Pediatric Oncology Group Phase II Study. Cancer 1994;74:197-202.
139. Bash RO, Katz JA, Cash JV, Buchanan GR: Safety and cost effectiveness of early hospital discharge of
lower risk children with cancer admitted for fever and neutropenia. Cancer 1994;74:189-196.
140. Lane PA, Rogers ZR, Woods GM, Wang WC, Wilimas JA, Miller ST, Khakoo Y, Buchanan GR: Fatal
pneumococcal septicemia in hemoglobin SC disease. J Pediatr 1994;124:859-862.
141. Castleberry RP, Cantor AB, Green AA, Joshi V, Berkow RL, Buchanan GR, Leventhal B, Mahoney DH,
Smith EI, Hayes FA: Phase II investigational window using carboplatin, iproplatin, and epirubicin in children
with untreated disseminated neuroblastoma: a Pediatric Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol
142. Sadowitz PD, Dubowy D, Souid A, Pollock BR, Weinstein H, Parmley RT, Bowman WP, Land V, Vats T,
Pratt C, Buchanan GR: A Phase I trial of continuous infusion carboplatin and etoposide (VP-16) in children
with refractory acute leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group (POG) Phase I study. J Clin Oncol
143. Griffin TC, Bowman WP, Winick NJ, Buchanan GR: Treatment of advanced stage diffuse, small non-
cleaved cell lymphoma in childhood: Further experience with total therapy B. Med Pediatr Oncol
144. Barrett AJ, Horowitz MM, Pollock BH, Zhang M-J, Bortin MM, Buchanan GR, Camitta BM, Ochs J,
Graham-Pole J, Rowlings PA, Rimm AA, Shuster JJ, Sobocinski KA, Gale RP: Bone marrow transplant
from HLA-identical siblings as compared with chemotherapy for children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia
in a second remission. N Engl J Med 1994;331:1253-1258.
145. Aquino VM, Pappo A, Buchanan GR, Tkaczewski I, Mustafa MM: The changing epidemiology of
bacteremia in neutropenic children with cancer. Pediatr Inf Dis J. 1995;14:140-143.
146. Lane PA, O'Connell JL, Lear JL, Rogers ZR, Woods GM Hassell KL, Wethers D, Luckey DW, Buchanan
GR: Functional asplenia in hemoglobin SC disease. Blood. 1995;85:2238-2244.
147. Buchanan GR: Newer concepts in the management of sickle cell disease. Focus & Opinion: Pediatrics
148. Bernini JC, Mustafa MM, Sutor LJ, Buchanan GR: Fatal hemolysis induced by ceftriaxone in a child with
sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr 1995;126:813-815.
149. Buchanan GR: ITP: How much treatment is enough? Contemp Pediatr 1995;12:23-48.
150. Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR: Bacteremia in children with sickle hemoglobin-C disease and sickle-beta plus
thalassemia: Is prophylactic penicillin necessary? J Pediatr 1995;127:348-354.
151. Bernini JC, Carrillo JM, Buchanan GR: High-dose intravenous methylprednisolone therapy for patients with
Diamond-Blackfan anemia refractory to conventional doses of prednisone. J Pediatr 1995;127:654-659.
152. Falletta JM, Woods GM, Verter JI, Buchanan GR, Pegelow CH, Iyer RV, Miller ST, Holbrook CT, Kinney
TR, Vichinsky E, Becton DL, Wang W, Johnstone HS, Wethers DL, Reaman GH, deBaum MR, Grossman
NJ Kalinyak K, Jorgensen JH, Bjornson A, Thomas MD, Reid C: Discontinuing penicillin prophylaxis in
children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr 1995;127:685-690.
153. Wang WC, Wong W-Y, Rogers ZR, Wilimas JA, Buchanan GR, Powars DR: Antibiotic-resistant
pneumococcal infection in children with sickle cell disease in the United States. J Pediatr Hematol/Oncol
154. Mustafa MM, Aquino VM, Pappo A, Tkaczewski I, Buchanan GR: A pilot study of outpatient management
of febrile neutropenic children with cancer at low risk of bacteremia. J Pediatr 1996;128:847-849.
155. Norris CF, Surrey S, Bunin GR, Schwartz E, Buchanan GR, McKenzie SE: Relationship between Fc receptor
IIA polymorphism and infection in children with sickle cell disease. J Pediatr 1996;128:813-819.
156. Aquino V, Buchanan G: Osteogenic sarcoma in a child with transfusion dependent Diamond-Blackfan
anemia. J Pediatr Hematol/Oncol 1996;18:230-232.
157. Winick N, Shuster JJ, Bowman WP, Borowitz M, Farrow A, Jacaruso D, Buchanan GR, Kamen BA:
Intensive oral methotrexate protects against lymphoid marrow relapse in childhood B-precursor acute
lymphoblastic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:2803-2811.
158. Walters MC, Patience M, Leisenring W, Eckman JR, Buchanan GR, Rogers ZR, Olivieri NF, Vichinsky E,
Davies SC, Mentzer WC, Powars D, Scott JP,Bernaudin F, Ohene-Frempong K, Darbyshire PF, Wayne A,
Roberts IAG, Dinndorf P, Brandalise S, Sanders JE, Matthews DC, Appelbaum FR, Storb R, Sullivan KM:
Barriers to bone marrow transplantation for sickle cell anemia. Biol Blood & BMT 1996;2:100-104.
159. Bernini JC, Wooley R, Buchanan GR: Low-dose recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor
therapy in children with symptomatic chronic idiopathic neutropenia. J Pediatr 1996;129:551-558.
160. Ragni MV, Belle SH, Jaffe R, Locker J, Duerstein SL, Bass DC, Addiego JE, Aledort LM, Barron LE,
Brettler DB, Buchanan GR, Gill JC, Ewenstein BM, Green D, Hilgartner MW, Hoots WK, Kisker CT,
Lovrien EW, Rutherford CJ, Sanders NL, Smith KJ, Stabler SP, Swindells S, White GC III, Kingsley LA for
the Hemophilia Malignancy Study Group: AIDS-Associated non-Hodgkin’s lymphomas as primary and
secondary AIDS diagnoses in hemophiliacs. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovirol 1996;13:78-86.
161. Zwiener RJ, Fielman BA, Cochran C, Rogers BB, Dawson DB, Timmons CF, Buchanan GR: Interferon alfa
- 2b treatment of chronic hepatitis C in children with hemophilia. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1996;15:906-908.
162. Bjornson AB, Falletta JM, Verter JI, Buchanan GR, Miller ST, Pegelow CH, Iyer RV, Johnstone HS,
DeBaun MR, Wethers DL, Wang W, Woods GM, Holbrook CT, Becton DL, Kinney TR, Reaman GH,
Kalinyak K, Grossman NJ, Vichinsky E, Reid CD: Serotype-specific IgG antibody responses to
pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in children with sickle cell anemia: effects of continued penicillin
prophylaxis. J Pediatr 1996;129:828-835.
163. Aquino VM, Buchanan GR, Tkaczewski I, Mustafa MM: Safety of early hospital discharge of selected
febrile children and adolescents with cancer with prolonged neutropenia. Med Ped Oncol 1997;28:191-195.
164. Bernstein ML, Abshire TC, Pollock BH, Devine S, Toledano S, Steuber CP, Bowman WP, Buchanan GR:
Idarubicin and cytosine arabinoside reinduction therapy for children with multiple recurrent or refractory
acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. J Pediatr Hematol/Oncol 1997;19:68-72.
165. Sandler ES, Friedman DJ, Mustafa MM, Winick NJ, Bowman WP, Buchanan GR: Treatment of children
with epipodophyllotoxin-induced secondary acute myelogenous leukemia. Cancer 1997;79:1049-1054.
166. Farrow AC, Buchanan GR, Zwiener RJ, Bowman WP, Winick NJ: Serum aminotransferase elevation during
and following treatment of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:1560-1566.
167. Rogers B, Bloom S, Buchanan G: Autosomal dominantly inherited Diamond-Blackfan anemia resulting in
nonimmune hydrops. Obstet Gynecol 1997;89:805-807.
168. Sullivan KM, Walters MC, Patience M, Leisenring W, Buchanan GR, Castro O, Davies SC, Dickerhoff R,
Eckman JR, Graham ML, Ohene-Frempong K, Powars D, Rogers ZR, Scott JP, Styles L, Vichinsky E, Wall
DA, Wayne AS, Wiley J, Wingard J, Bunin N, Camitta B, Darbyshire PJ, Dinndorf P, Klingebiel T,
McMahon L, Mentzer WC, Olivieri N, Orringer E, Parkman R, Roberts IAG, Sanders JE, Smith FO, Storb
R: Collaborative study of marrow transplantation for sickle cell disease: aspects specific for transplantation
of hemoglobin disorders. Bone Marrow Transplant 1997;19 (Suppl) 2 102-105.
169. Aquino VM, Norvell JM, Buchanan GR: Acute splenic complications in children with sickle cell-hemoglobin
C disease. J Pediatr 1997;130:961-965.
170. Aquino VM, Tkaczewski I, Buchanan GR: Early discharge of the low-risk febrile neutropenic child with
cancer. Clin Infect Dis 1997;25:74-78.
171. Farah RA, Rogers ZR, Thompson WR, Hicks BA, Guzzetta PC, Buchanan GR: Comparison of laparoscopic
and open splenectomy in children with hematologic disorders. J Pediatr 1997;131:41-46.
172. Medeiros D, Miller KL, Rollins NK, Buchanan, GR: Contrast venography in young haemophiliacs with
implantable central venous access devices. Haemophilia 1998;4:10-15.
173. Miller K, Buchanan GR, Zappa S, Cochran C, Laufenberg J, Medeiros D, Sanders J: Implantable venous
access devices in children with hemophilia: A report of low infection rates. J Pediatr. 1998;132:934-938.
174. Oeffinger KC, Eshelman DA, Tomlinson GE, Buchanan GR: Programs for adult survivors of childhood
cancer. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:2864-2867.
175. Bernini JC, Rogers ZR, Sandler ES, Reisch JS, Buchanan GR: Beneficial effect of intravenous
dexamethasone in children with mild to moderately severe acute chest syndrome complicating sickle cell
disease. Blood 1998;92:3082-3089.
176. Medeiros D, Buchanan GR: Major hemorrhage in children with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura:
Immediate response to therapy and long-term outcome. J Pediatr 1998;133:334-339.
177. Aquino VM, Mustafa MM, Vaickus L, Wooley R, Buchanan GR : Recombinant interleukin-6 in the treatment
of congenital thrombocytopenia associated with absent radii. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 1998;20:474-476.
178. Mustafa MM, Buchanan GR, Winick NJ, McCracken GH, Tkaczewski I, Lipscomb M, Ansari Q, Agopian
MS: Immune recovery in children with malignancy after cessation of chemotherapy. J Pediatr Hematol
179. Quinn CT, Buchanan GR: The acute chest syndrome of sickle cell disease. J Pediatr 1999;135:416-422.
180. Rodriguez-Cortes HM, Griener JC, Hyland K, Bottiglieri T, Bennett MJ, Kamen BA, Buchanan GR : Plasma
homocysteine levels and folate status in children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr Hematol/Oncol
181. Buchanan GR: The tragedy of iron deficiency during infancy and early childhood. J Pediatr
182. Farah RA, Buchanan GR, Timmons CF, Phillips L, Fairbanks VF, Snow K, Hoyer JD : Double
heterozygosity for Hb G-San José [β7(A4)Glu→Gly] and Hb Fukuoka [β2(NA2)His→Tyr] in a 2 ½-year-
old girl. Hemoglobin 1999;23:383-387.
183. Buchanan GR: Factor concentrate prophylaxis for neonates with hemophilia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol
184. Ritchey AK, Pollock BH, Lauer SL, Andejeski Y, Buchanan GR: Improved survival of children with
isolated CNS relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol
185. Sayad AE, Farah RA, Rogers ZR, Heubi JE, Buchanan GR, Squires, RH Jr: Correlation of serum
cholylglycine level with hepatic dysfunction in children with sickle cell anemia. Clin Pediatr
186. Mantadakis E, Cavender JD, Rogers ZR, Ewalt DH, Buchanan GR: Prevalence of priapism in children and
adolescents with sickle cell anemia. J Pedatr Hematol Oncol 1999;21:518-522.
187. Mantadakis E, Ewalt DH, Cavender JD, Rogers ZR, Buchanan, G : Outpatient penile aspiration and
epinephrine irrigation for young patients with sickle cell anemia and prolonged priapism. Blood
188. Vesely S, Buchanan GR, Cohen, A, Raskob G, George J: Self-reported diagnostic and management
strategies in childhood idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: Results of a survey of practicing pediatric
hematology-oncology specialists. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2000;22:55-61.
189. Buchanan GR, Rivera GK, Pollock BH, Boyett JM, Chauvenet AR, Wagner H, Maybee DA, Crist WM,
Pinkel D: Alternating drug pairs with or without periodic reinduction in children with acute lymphoblastic
leukemia in second bone marrow remission: A Pediatric Oncology Group Study. Cancer
190. Aquino VM, Herrera L, Sandler ES, Buchanan GR: Feasibility of oral ciprofloxacin for the outpatient
management of febrile neutropenia in selected children with cancer. Cancer 2000;88:1710-1714.
191. Walters MC, Storb R, Patience M, Leisenring W, Taylor T, Sanders JE, Buchanan GR, Rogers ZR, Dinndorf
P, Davies SC, Roberts IAG, Dickerhoff R, Yeager AM, Hsu L, Kurtzberg J, Ohene-Frempong K, Bunin N,
Bernaudin F, Wong W-Y, Scott JP, Margolis D, Vichinsky E, Wall DA, Wayne AS, Pegelow C, Redding-
Lallinger R, Wiley J, Klemperer M, Mentzer WC, Smith FO, Sullivan KM for the Multicenter Investigation
of Bone Marrow Transplantation for Sickle Cell Disease. Impact of bone marrow transplantation for
symptomatic sickle cell disease: an interim report. Blood 2000;95:1918-1924.
192. Oeffinger KC, Eshelman DA, Tomlinson GE, Buchanan GR, Foster BM : Grading of late effects in young
adult survivors of childhood cancer followed in an ambulatory adult setting. Cancer 2000; 88:1687-1695.
193. Mantadakis E, Buchanan GR: Elective splenectomy in children with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
(ITP). J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2000;22:148-153.
194. Griffin TC, Shuster JJ, Buchanan GR, Murphy SB, Camitta BM, Amylon MD : Slow disappearance of
peripheral blood blasts in an adverse prognostic factor in childhood T cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a
Pediatric Oncology Group study. Leukemia 2000;14:792-795.
195. Medeiros D, Buchanan GR: Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: beyond consensus. Curr Opin Pediatr
196. Abshire TC, Pollock BH, Billett AL, Bradley P, Buchanan GR: Weekly polyethylene glycol (PEG)
conjugated L-Asparaginase produces superior induction remission rates in childhood relapsed acute
lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL): A Pediatric Oncology Group (POG) study. Blood 2000;96:1709-1715.
197. Buchanan GR: ITP: How much treatment is enough? Contemporary Pediatrics 2000;17:112-121.
198. Herrera L, Farah RA, Pellegrini VA, Aquino DB, Sandler ES, Buchanan GR, Vitetta ES : Effect of
immunotoxins against CD19 and CD22 on precursor-B acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells in vitro.
199. Spronk HMH, Farah RA, Buchanan GR, Vermeer C, Soute BAM : A novel mutation in the γ-glutamyl
carboxylase gene resulting in congenital combined deficiency of all vitamin K-dependent blood coagulation
factors. Blood 2000;96:3650-3652.
200. Mustafa MM, Carlson L, Tkaczewski I, McCracken GH Jr., Buchanan GR: Comparative study of cefepime
versus ceftazidime in the empiric treatment of pediatric cancer patients with fever and neutropenia. Pediatr
Infect Dis J 2001;20:362-369.
201. Glaser DW, Medeiros D, Rollins N, Buchanan GR : Catheter-related thrombosis in children with cancer. J.
202. Buchanan GR for the International Diamond-Blackfan Anemia Study Group: Oral megadose
methylprednisolone therapy for refractory Diamond-Blackfan anemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol
203. Oeffinger KC, Buchanan GR, Eshelman DA, Denke MA, Andrews TC, Germak JA, Tomlinson GE, Snell
LE, Foster BM: Cardiovascular risk factors in young adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic
leukemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2001;23:424-430.
204. Journeycake JM, Quinn CT, Miller K, Zajac J, Buchanan GR : Catheter-related deep venous thrombosis in
children with hemophilia. Blood 2001;98:1727-1731.
205. Gonzalez D, Elizondo BJ, Haslag S, Buchanan GR, Burdick JS, Guzzetta PC, Hicks BA, Andersen JM :
Chronic subcutaneous octreotide decreases gastrointestinal blood loss in blue rubber-Bleb Nevus Syndrome.
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2001;33:183-188.
206. Baorto EP,Aquino VM, Mullen CA, Buchanan GR, DeBaun MR: Clinical parameters associated with low
bacteremia risk in 1100 pediatric oncology patients with fever and neutropenia. Cancer 2001;92:909-913.
207. Buchanan, GR: Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in childhood. Pediatr Ann 2001;30:527-533.
208. Buchanan GR, Adix L: Outcome measures and treatment endpoints other than platelet count in childhood
idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Semin Thromb Hemost 2001;27:277-285.
209. Kühne T, Imbach P, Bolton-Maggs PHB, Berchtold W, Blanchette V, Buchanan G : Newly diagnosed
idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in childhood: an observational study. Lancet 2001;358:2122-2125.
210. Walters MC, Patience M, Leisenring W, Rogers ZR, Aquino V, Buchanan GR, Roberts IAG, Yeager AM,
Hsu L, Adamkiewicz T, Kurtzberg J, Vichinsky E, Storer B, Storb R, Sullivan Km for the Multicenter
Investigation of Bone Marrow Transplantation for Sickle Cell Anemia. Stable mixed hematopoietic
chimerism after bone marrow transplantation for sickle cell anemia. Biology of Blood and Marrow
211. Ogden AK, Pollock BH, Bernstein ML, Camitta B, Buchanan GR : Intermediate dose-methotrexate and
intravenous 6-mercaptopurine chemotherapy for children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia who did not
respond to initial induction therapy. J Pediatr Hemat Onc 2002;24:182-187.
212. Scothorn DJ, Price C, Schwartz D, Terrill C, Buchanan GR, Shurney W, Sarniak I, Fallon R, Chu J-Y,
Pegelow CH, Wang W, Casella JF, Resa LS, Berman B, Adamkiewicz T, Hsu LL, Ohene-Frempong K,
Smith-Whitley K, Mahoney D, Scott JP, Woods GM, Watanabe M, DeBaun MR: Risk of recurrent stroke in
children with sickle cell disease receiving blood transfusion therapy for at least five years after initial stroke.
J Pediatr 2002;140:348-54.
213. Quinn CT, Buchanan GR: Predictors of outcome in sickle cell disease. J Pediatr Hematol Onc
214. Lane PA, Buchanan GR, Desposito F, Pegelow CH, Vichinsky EP, Wethers DL, Woods GM : Health
supervision for children with sickle cell disease. Pediatrics 2002;109:526-535.
215. Huh WW, Gill J, Sheth S, Buchanan GR: Pneumocystis carinii in patients with Diamond-Blackfan anemia
receiving high-dose corticosteroids. J Pediatr Hematol Onc 2002;24:410-412.
216. Di Paola JA, Buchanan GR: Immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Pediatr Clin N Am 2002;49:911-928.
217. Lowe EJ, Buchanan GR: Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura diagnosed during the second decade of life. J
218. Buchanan GR, Adix L: Grading of hemorrhage in children with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. J
219. Aquino VA, Sandler E, Mustafa MM, Steele JW, Buchanan GR: A prospective double blind randomized
trial of urokinase flushes to prevent bacteremia due to luminal colonization of subcutaneous central venous
catheters. J Pediatr Hematol Onc 2002;24:710-713.
220. Abkowitz JL, Schaison G, Boulad F, Brown DL, Buchanan GR, Johnson CA, Murray JC, Sabo KM :
Response of Diamond-Blackfan anemia to metoclopramide: Evidence for a role for prolactin in
erythropoiesis. Blood 2002;100:2687-2691.
221. Vesely SK, Buchanan GR, Adix L, George JN, Cohen AR, Blanchette VS, Kühne : Self-reported initial
management of childhood idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: Results of a survey of members of the
American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology – 2001. J Pediatr Hematol Onc 2003;25:130-133.
222. Journeycake, JM, Buchanan GR: Coagulation disorders. Pediatrics in Review 2003;24:83-91.
223. Bhardwaj U, Dzhang Y-H, Jackson DS, Buchanan GR, Therrell, Jr. BL, McCabe LL, McCabe ERB : DNA
diagnosis confirms hemoglobin deletion in newborn screen follow-up. J Pediatr 2003;142:346-348.
224. Journeycake JM, Buchanan GR. Thrombotic complications of central venous catheters in children. Curr Opin
225. Journeycake JM, Miller KL, Anderson AM, Buchanan GR, Finnegan M. Arthroscopic synovectomy in
children and adolescents with hemophilia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2003;25:726-731.
226. Adamkiewicz TV, Sarnaik S, Buchanan GR, Iyer RV, Miller ST, Pegelow CH, Rogers ZR, Vichinsky E,
Elliott J, Facklam RR, O’Brien KL, Schwartz B, Van Beneden CA, Cannon MJ, Eckman JR, Keyserling H,
Sullivan K, Wong WY, Wang WC. Invasive pneumococcal infections in children with sickle cell disease in
the era of penicillin prophylaxis, antibiotic resistance and 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide
vaccination. J Pediatr 2003;143:438-44.
227. Assanasen C, Quinton RA, Buchanan GR . Acute myocardial infarction in sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr
Hematol Oncol 2003;25:9778-982.
228. Buchanan GR. Bleeding signs in children with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. J Pediatr Hematol
229. Kühne T, Buchanan GR, Zimmerman S, Michaels LA, Kohan R, Berchtold W, Imbach, P, for the
Intercontinental Childhood ITP Study Group. A prospective comparative study among three age groups of
203 infants and 2337 children with newly diagnosed idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) from the
Intercontinental Childhood ITP Study Group. J Pediatr 2003;143:605-608.
230. Buchanan GR, Journeycake JM, Adix L. Severe chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura during
childhood: Definition, management, and prognosis. Semin Thromb Hemost 2003;29:595-603.
231. Bolton-Maggs P, Tarantino MD, Buchanan GR, Bussel JB, George JN . The child with immune
thrombocytopenic purpura: Is pharmacotherapy or watchful waiting the best initial management? A panel
discussion from the 2002 ASPH/O meeting. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2004;26:146-151.
232. Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR: Survival of children with sickle cell disease. Blood
233. Sung L, Nathan PC, Lange B, Beyene J, Buchanan GR. Prophylactic granulocyte colony-stimulating factor
and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor decrease febrile neutropenia after chemotherapy in
children with cancer: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Oncol 2004;22:3350-3356.
234. Ewenstein BM, Valentino LA, Journeycake JM, Tarantino MD, Shapiro AD, Blanchette VS, Hoots WK,
Buchanan GR, Manco-Johnson MJ, Rivard G-E, Miller KL, Geraghty S, Maahs JA, Stuart R, Dunham T,
Navickis RJ. Consensus recommendations for use of central venous access devices in haemophilia.
235. Rogers ZR and Buchanan GR. Expanding the role of hydroxyurea in children with sickle cell disease. J
236. Tarantino MD, Buchanan GR. The pros and cons of drug therapy for immune thrombocytopenic purpura in
children. Hematol Oncol Clin N Am. 2004;18:1301-1314.
237. Buchanan GR, DeBaun MR, Quinn CT, Steingerg MH. Sickle cell disease. Hematology 2004; :35-47
238. Buchanan GR. Blood transfusions in children with cancer and hematologic disorders: Why, when, and how?
Pediatr Blood Cancer 2005;44:114-116.
239. Fu T, Corrigan NJ, Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR . Minor elective surgical procedures using general
anesthesia in children with sickle cell anemia without pre-operative blood transfusion. Pediatr Blood Cancer
240. Buchanan GR. Thrombocytopenia during childhood: What the pediatrician needs to know. Pediatrics in
Review 2005; 26:395-403
241. Imbach P, Kühne T, Müller D, Berchtold W, Zimmerman S, Elalfy M, Buchanan GR. Childhood ITP: 12
months follow-up data from the prospective registry I of the Intercontinental Childhood ITP Study Group
(ICIS). Pediatr Blood Cancer 2006; 46:351-356
242. Crary SE, Buchanan GR, Journeycake JM. Fatal central venous catheter-related infection in haemophilia.
Haemophilia 2006; 12:183-186
243. Bennett CM, Rogers ZR, Kinnamon DD, Bussel JB, Mahoney DH, Abshire TC, Sawaf h, Moore TB, Loh
ML, Glader BE, McCarthy MC, Mueller BU, Olson TA, Lorenzana AN, Mentzer WC, Buchanan GR,
Feldman HA, Neufeld EJ. Prospective phase I/II study of rituximab in childhood and adolescent chronic
immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2006; 107:2639-2642
244. Journeycake JM, Eshelman D, Buchanan GR. Post-thrombotic syndrome is uncommon in childhood cancer
survivors. J Pediatr 2006; 148:275-7
245. Hulbert, ML, Scothorn DJ, Panepinto JA, Scott JP, Buchanan GR, Sarnaik S, Fallon R, Chu J, Wang W,
Casella JF, Resar L, Berman B, Adamkiewicz T, Hsu LL, Smith-Whitley K, Mahoney D, Woods G,
Watanabe M DeBaun MR. Exchange blood transfusion for first overt stroke is associated with a lower risk of
subsequent stroke than simple transfusion: a retrospective cohort of 137 children with sickle cell disease. J
Pediatr 2006; 149:710-12.
246. Long ZB, Oeffinger KC, Brooks SL, Fischbach L, Harris TR, Eshelman DA, Tomlinson GE, Buchanan GR.
Incidence and clinical relevance of abnormal complete blood counts in long-term survivors of childhood
cancer. Cancer 2006; 106:1634-40
247. Sadler ES, Homans A, Mandell L, Amylon M, Wall DA, Devidas M, Buchanan GR, Lipton JM, and Billett
AL. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation after first marrow relapse of non-T, non-B acute lymphoblastic
leukemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2006; 28:210-215.
248. Buchanan GR, Adix L. Current challenges in the management of children with idiopathic thrombocytopenic
purpura. Pediatr Blood Cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2006; 47:681-684
249. Klaassen RJ, Blanchette VS, Barnard D, Wakefield CD, Curtis C, Bradley CS, Neufeld EJ, Buchanan GR,
Silva MP, Chan AKC, and Young NL. The Kids’ ITP Tools (KIT): Validity, reliability and responsiveness of
a new measure of quality of life in children with immune thrombocytopenic purpura. J Pediatr 2007;
250. Crary SE, Buchanan GR, Drake CE, Journeycake JM. Venous thrombosis and thromboembolism in children
with osteomyelitis. J Pediatr 2006; 149:537-41
251. Quinn CT, Shull EP, Ahmad N, Lee NJ, Rogers ZR, and Buchanan GR. Prognostic significance of early
vaso-occlusive complications in children with sickle cell anemia. Blood 2007; 109:40-46
252. Journeycake JM, Buchanan GR. Catheter-related deep venous thrombosis and other catheter complications in
children with cancer. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24:4575-4580
253. Kuhne T, Blanchette V, Buchanan GR, Ramenghi U, Donato H, Tamminga RY, Rischewski J, Berchtold W,
Imbach P. Splenectomy in children with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: A prospective study of 134
children from the Intercontinental Childhood ITP Study Group. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2007; 49:829-834
254. Medeiros D, Laufenberg JA, Miller KL, Buchanan GR. Short-term oral corticosteroid therapy for acute
haemarthrosis in haemophilia patients with high titer inhibitors. Haemophilia 2007; 13:85-89
255. Eggleston B, Patience M, Edwards S, Adamkiewicz T, Buchanan GR, Davies S, Dickerhoff R, Donfield S,
Feig S, Giller R, Haight A, Horan J, Hsu L, Kamani N, Lane P, Levine J, Margolis D, Moore T, Ohene-
Frempong K, Redding-Lallinger R, Rogers I, Rogers Z, Sanders J, Scott J, Sleight B, Thompson A, Sullivan
K, Walters M. Effect of myeloablative bone marrow transplantation on growth in children with sickle cell
anemia: results of the multicenter study of haematopoietic cell transplantation for sickle cell anemia. British
Journal of Haematology 2007; 136:673-676
256. Boulden BM, Crary SE, Buchanan GR and Journeycake JM . Determination of pediatric norms for
assessment of upper venous system post-thrombotic syndrome. J. Thrombo and Haemostas. 2007;
257. Manco-Johnson MJ, Abshire TC, Shapiro AD, Riske B, Hacker MR, Kilcoyne R, Ingram JD, Manco-
Johnson ML, Funk S, Jacobson L, Valentino LA, Hoots WK, Buchanan GR, DiMichele D, Recht M, Brown
D, Leissinger C, Bleak S, Cohen A, Mathew P, Matsunaga A, Medeiros D, Nugent D, Thomas GA,
Thompson AA, McRedmond K, Soucie JM, Austin H and Evatt BL. Prophylaxis versus episodic treatment
to prevent joint disease in boys with severe hemophilia. N Engl J Med. 2007; 357:535-544.
258. Dulman RY, Buchanan GR, Ginsburg H, Fefferman NR, Greco A, Borys D, Blei F. Splenic infarction due
to concomitant hereditary spherocytosis and sickle cell trait. J. Peds Surg. 2007. In Press.
259. Troendle SB, Adix L. Crary SE, and Buchanan GR. Laboratory markers of thrombosis risk in children with
hereditary spherocytosis. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2007; 49:781-785.
260. Buchanan GB, Neunert C, Journeycake JM, and Miller K. Implantable central venous access device
procedures in hemophilia patients without an inhibitor: Systematic review of the literature and institutional
experience. Haemophilia 2007, In Press.
Chapters Published in Books and Non-Peer Reviewed Articles:
1. Glader BE, Buchanan GR: The bleeding neonate. In Care of the Critically Ill Child. 2nd ed. CA Smith,
Ed., W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1977, pp 217-229.
2. Buchanan GR, Moore GC: Disseminated intravascular coagulation. In Levin DL, Morriss F, and Moore
GC., ed. Pediatric Intensive Care, C.V. Mosby Col, St. Louis, 1979, pp 91-95.
3. Buchanan GR, Hogg R: Hemolytic uremic syndrome. In Pediatric Intensive Care, Levin DL, Morriss F,
and Moore GC, eds., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1979, pp 203-205.
4. Buchanan GR: Blood product transfusions in the critically ill child. In Pediatric Intensive Care, Levin
DL, Morriss F, and Moore GC, eds., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1979, pp 433-439.
5. Buchanan GR: The use of blood and blood products: coagulation factors. In Nathan DG and Oski FA,
Hematology in Infancy and Childhood, 2nd ed., W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1981, pp 1536-1551.
6. Buchanan GR: Hematology disorders in fetus and newborn: hemorrhagic diseases. In Nathan DG and
Oski FA, Hematology in Infancy and Childhood, 2nd ed., W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1981, pp
7. Buchanan GR: Vitamin K Deficiency. In Conn HR ed., Current Therapy, 35th ed., W.B. Saunders,
Philadelphia, 1983, pp 457-458.
8. Buchanan GR: The bleeding child. In Dickerman J, Lucey J, eds., The Critically Ill Child, 3rd ed., W.B.
Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1984.
9. Buchanan GR: Disseminated intravascular coagulation. In Levin DL, Morriss F, Moore GC, eds.,
Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd ed., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1984, pp 135-139.
10. Hogg R, Buchanan GR: Hemolytic uremic syndrome. In Levin DL, Morriss F, Moore GC eds. Pediatric
Intensive Care, 2nd ed., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1984, pp 296-299.
11. Buchanan GR: Sickle cell crisis. In Levin DL, Morriss F, Moore GC, eds. Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd
ed., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1984, pp 293-295.
12. Buchanan GR, Grandy ME: Blood product transfusions. In Levin DL, Morriss F, Moore GC, eds.,
Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd ed., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1984, pp 598-602.
13. Buchanan GR, Smith RG: Detection of early relapse and minimal residual disease in children with acute
lymphoblastic leukemia by enumeration of terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase positive cells in
peripheral blood. In Lowenberg G, Hajenbeek A, eds., Minimal Residual Disease in Acute Leukemia.
Martinus Nijhoff Publisher, Boston, 1984, pp 83-95.
14. Buchanan GR: The use of blood and blood products: coagulation factors. In Nathan DG and Oski FA,
eds., Hematology in Infancy and Childhood, 3rd ed., W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1987, pp 1606-1621.
15. Buchanan GR: Hematology disorders in fetus and newborn: hemorrhagic diseases. In Nathan DG, Oski
FA, eds., Hematology in Infancy and Childhood. 3rd ed., W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1987, pp
16. Buchanan GR: Hematologic supportive care. In Pizzo PA, Poplack DG, Principles and Practice of
Pediatric Oncology. J.B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia, 1989, pp 823-836.
17. Buchanan GR: Sickle cell disease 1992 - A Dallas perspective. Dallas Med J, September 1992.
18. Buchanan GR: Hematologic supportive care of the pediatric cancer patient. In Pizzo PA, Poplack DG,
Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology, 2nd edition. J.B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia, 1993, pp
19. Buchanan GR: Approach to treatment of the cancer patient with low risk neutropenia. Hematol/Oncol
Clin N Amer, 7:919-935, 1993.
20. Buchanan GR: Sickle cell disease: Recent advances. Current Problems in Pediatrics, Mosby, St. Louis,
1993, pp 219-229.
21. Buchanan GR: Hematopoietic diseases. In Oski FA (ed), Principles and Practice of Pediatrics, 2nd
edition, J.B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia, 1994, pp 476-486.
22. Buchanan GR: Infection. In Embury SH, Hebbel RP, Mohandas M, Steinberg MH, (eds), Sickle Cell
Disease. Basic Principles and Clinical Practice, Raven Press, 1994, pp 567-587.
23. Buchanan GR (editor): Pediatric Hematology, Pediatric Clinics of North America, June 1996 issue.
24. Medeiros D, Buchanan G: Current controversies in the management of idiopathic thrombocytopenic
purpura during childhood. Pediatric Clinics of North America 43:757-772, 1996.
25. Medeiros D, Buchanan GR: Disseminated intravascular coagulation and other acquired bleeding
disorders. In Levin DL and Morriss FC eds., Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, 2 nd edition.
Churchill Livingstone Inc., New York 1997 pp 473-482.
26. Aquino VM, Buchanan GR: Methemoglobinemia. In Levin DL and Morriss FC eds., Essentials of
Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd edition. Churchill Livingstone Inc., New York 1997 pp 488-491.
27. Buchanan GR: Hematologic supportive care of the pediatric cancer patient. In Pizzo PA, Poplack DG,
Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology, 3rd edition. J.B. Lipppincott Co., Philadelphia, 1998, pp
28. Buchanan GR: Quantitative and qualitative platelet disorders. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
29. Buchanan GR: Hematopoietic diseases of the fetus and newborn. In McMillan, JA (ed), Oski’s
Principles and Practice of Pediatrics, 3rd edition, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia 1999,
30. Rogers ZR, Aquino VM, Buchanan GR: Hematologic supportive care and hematopoietic cytokines. In
Pizzo PA, Poplack DG, Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology, 4th edition. Lippincott Williams
and Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2002, pp 1205-1238.
31. Quinn CT and Buchanan GR. Preventive care and advances in the treatment of sickle cell disease, in
Pace B (ed): The Renaissance of Sickle Cell Disease in the Human Genome Era. Imperial College Press,
Listing provided upon request.