1992 Hemophilia Research Society.docDocument Transcript
George R. Buchanan
Business: Department of Pediatrics
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, Texas 75390-9063
214-648-8594 – Telephone
214-648-3122 – Fax
1962-66 B.A. (with honors), Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa
1966-70 M.D., University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
Clinical and Research Training:
1970-71 Pediatric Intern, Children's Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
1971-73 Pediatric Resident, Children's Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
1973-75 Fellow in Medicine (Hematology), Children's Hospital, Boston, MA
1974-75 Fellow in Pediatric Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, MA
1975-77 Instructor in Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
1977-80 Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical
Center at Dallas (UT Southwestern), Dallas, TX
1980-86 Associate Professor of Pediatrics (with tenure), UT Southwestern, Dallas
1980-Present Director, Pediatric Hematology-Oncology, UT Southwestern, Dallas
1986-Present Professor of Pediatrics, UT Southwestern, Dallas, TX
1993-Present Children's Cancer Fund Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Oncology and
Hematology, UT Southwestern, Dallas, TX
2003-Present Director, Barrett Family Center for Pediatric Oncology, UT Southwestern,
1975-77 Assistant in Medicine (Hematology-Oncology), Children's Hospital, Boston MA
1975-77 Senior Clinical Associate in Pediatrics, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston MA
1977-Present Attending Physician, Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, TX
1977-Present Attending Physician, Children's Medical Center, Dallas, TX
1980-Present Medical Director, Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders, Children's Medical Center Dallas,
Professional Society Memberships:
1976 American Society of Hematology
1979 Southern Society for Pediatric Research
1979 Society for Pediatric Research
1981 American Society of Clinical Oncology
1985 American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
1986 American Academy of Pediatrics, Section of Hematology-Oncology
1986 Texas Pediatric Society
1987 Dallas County Medical Society
1987 Texas Medical Association
1988 American Pediatric Society
1991 American Association of Blood Banks
1991 World Federation of Hemophilia
1992 American Board of Pediatrics
1992 International Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis
1992 Hemophilia Research Society
1965 Phi Beta Kappa
1966 Ross Award for Excellence in Biology, Drake University
1970 Alpha Omega Alpha
1970 Joseph A. Capps Award for Proficiency in Clinical Medicine, University of Chicago
1976 National Institutes of Health Special Research Fellowship
1978 Teaching Excellence Award, Children's Medical Center, Dallas
1989 Teaching Excellence Award, Children's Medical Center, Dallas
1991 Listed in "The Best Doctors in America," 1st Edition
1993 Outstanding Faculty Award from House Staff, Children's Medical Center
1994 Distinguished Service Award from Children's Medical Foundation, Dallas
1994 Listed in "The Best Doctors in America," 2nd Edition
2002 Listed in “The Best Doctors in America”, 3rd Edition
2003 Physician Hero Award Finalist, Dallas Business Journal
2003 Recognized in America’s Top Doctors by Castle Connolly Medical
2004 Listed in “The Best Doctors in America”, 4th Edition
2004 Recognized in America’s Top Doctors by Castle Connolly Medical
2004 Named a “Texas Super Doctor” by Texas Monthly
2004 Honored by Texas Central Hemophilia Association
2005 Third & Fourth Year Medical Student Teaching Award, UT Southwestern
2005 Honoree at Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer 25th Anniversary Gala
1975 American Board of Pediatrics (Certificate #18310)
1976 American Board of Pediatrics, Sub-Board of Hematology-Oncology
1992 American Board of Pediatrics Recertification in Pediatrics and Hematology-Oncology
2000 American Board of Pediatrics Recertification in Pediatrics and Hematology-Oncology
Medical Licensure: Texas (E9128)
Committees, Panels, and Other Leadership Positions (Partial Listing):
Hospital (Children’s Medical Center Dallas unless otherwise noted)
1980-86 Resident Affairs Committee(Chair 1980-82)
1980-90 Blood Transfusion Committee,(Chair 1980-82)
1981-83 & Cancer Committee, Parkland Memorial Hospital
1985-88 Medical Records Committee (Chair 1985-87)
1986-87 Medical Board
1988-Present Long Range Planning Committee (Chair 1990-94)
1988-1989 Transfusion Committee, Parkland Memorial Hospital
1992-Present Cancer Committee (Chair 1992-95)
1995-1996 Budget and Planning Committee
1998 Credentials Committee Chair
1999 President Elect of Medical Staff
2000 President of Medical Staff
2001 Capital Campaign Steering Committee
2003-Present Campaign Leadership Council, wePromise Campaign for Children’s
1980-1985 Vice-Chairman, Advisory Committee, Texas Hemophilia
Assistance Program, Texas State Department of Health
1983-Present Advisory Committee, Texas Department of Health Sickle Cell
Disease Newborn Screening Program
1985-1986 Clinical Investigation Committee, Texas Legislative Task Force on Cancer
1987-1992 Hematology-Oncology Advisory Committee, Chronically Ill & Disabled Children's
Division, Texas Department of Health
1981 Dean's Committee on the Future of Medical Education
1990-1991 Cancer Center Director Search Committee
1993 Transplant Services Center Medical Advisory Board
1995 Clinical Department Review Committee
1995-Present Cancer Center Clinical Executive Committee
2002 Cancer Center Director Search Committee
Pediatric Oncology Group/Children’s Oncology Group (C.O.G.)
Executive Committee (1984-86 and 1993-1997)
Lymphoid Relapse Committee (Chair 1989-1995)
Institutional Performance Review Committee (1981-1985)
Principal Investigator's Committee (Chair 1993-1997)
Hematology-Oncology Discipline Core Committee (1987-2001)
Nominating Committee (Chair 1990 – 1991)
Governance Committee (Co-chair 1999 – 2000)
C.O.G. Nominating Committee (Chair 2000-2001)
Cancer Control Task Force (2002-2004)
1992-1996 Medical and Scientific Advisory Council, National Hemophilia Foundation
1993-1998 Pediatric Hydroxyurea Data Safety and Monitoring Board, National Heart, Lung and
Blood Institute (Chair)
1995-1997 Oncology Training Programs Committee, American Society of Clinical Oncology
1996 & 2004 Hemophilia and Thrombosis Research Society, Nominating Committee (Chair)
1998-2005 Childhood Cancer Survivor Study, Publications Committee
2001-Present External Review Board, Glaser Pediatric Research Network
2001.2003 Protocol Review Committee, Thalassemia Clinical Research Network, NHLBI
2003- Director, NHLBI-funded Southwestern Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center
American Academy of Pediatrics
1998-2000 Executive Committee, Section on Hematology-Oncology
2001-2002 Nominating Committee, Section on Hematology-Oncology
American Board of Pediatrics
1992-1997 Subboard in Hematology-Oncology (Chair 1994-1997)
1998-2001 Long Range Planning Committee
American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
1995- Publications, Program, and Health Care Reform and Public Issues
1997-1998 Chair of Program Committee
1997-1999 Vice President and President Elect
2001-Present Review Course Planning Committee (Chair)
1997-2004 Board of Trustees member
2002-2004 Nominating Committee (Chair)
2004-Present Continuing Education and Certification Committee (Chair)
American Society of Hematology
1982-1984 Pediatric Hematology Subcommittee
2001-2005 Councillor and Executive Committee Member
2002-2003 Task Force on Quality Care and Clinical Affairs (Chair)
2005- Clinical Research Training Institute (Co-chair)
2005- Nominating Committee
American Society of Clinical Oncology
1995.1997 Oncology Training Programs Committee
2001-2002 Pediatric Oncology Task Force
2001 Task Force on Early Career Development
1981-1983 Sickle Cell Anemia Foundation of Dallas, Inc., Board of Directors
1982-1985 American Cancer Society, Texas Division, Dallas Chapter, Board of Directors
1983-Present Medical Advisor, National Hemophilia Foundation, Texas Central Chapter
1983-Present Board of Directors, Children's Cancer Fund of Dallas, Inc.
1985-Present Board of Directors, Wipe Out Kids’ Cancer
1987-1988 Health Care Task Force, Dallas AIDS Planning Commission
1989-Present Medical Advisory Board, Special Camps for Special Kids
1993-Present Medical Advisory Committee, Carter BloodCare
Editorial Consultant (Partial Listing):
New England Journal of Medicine Cancer
Journal of Pediatrics Journal of Clinical Oncology
Pediatrics European Journal of Pediatrics
Blood Pediatric Research
Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal Archives of Internal Medicine
Journal of Pediatrics, 1996 – Present
Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, 1996 – 2003
Pediatric Blood and Cancer – 2004 – Present (Associate Editor)
Visiting Professorships/Invited Lectures
(Past 10 years)
University of Pennsylvania, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, January 1994
Baylor College of Medicine, February 1994
MD Anderson Cancer Center, February 1994
Armed Forces Pediatric Symposium, Seattle, March 1994
Johns Hopkins, November 1994
Children's Hospital of Michigan, February 1995
All Children's Hospital, St. Petersburg, Florida, November 1995
University of Oklahoma, November 1995
Stanford University, January 1996
Cornell Medical Center/New York Hospital, May 1996
University of Colorado Medical Center, January 1997
University of Virginia, April 1997
Thai Hematology Society, Bangkok, January 1998
St. Paul Children’s Hospital, February 1998
Duke University, March 1998
Children’s Hospital of Michigan, May 1998
University of Washington, Seattle, October 1998
Northwest Pediatric Society, Portland, March 1999
University of Iowa, Iowa City, April 2001
University of Utah and Huntsman Cancer Center, Salt Lake City, May 2001
Nemours Children’s Center, Jacksonville, Florida, August 2001
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, January 2002
Arkansas Children’s Hospital, August 2002
Medical College of Georgia, March 2003
Emory and Children’s Healthcare, March 2003
University of Oklahoma, April 2003
University of California San Francisco, May 2003
Miami Children’s Hospital, September 2003
Intercontinental ITP Study Group Meeting, Burgenstock, Switzerland, September 2003
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, October 2003
Latin American Society of Pediatrics, Panama City, Panama, November 2003
Miami Children’s Hospital, Miami, February 2004
Cook Children’s Medical Center, Fort Worth, April 2004
ITP Support Association, Bedford, UK, April 2004
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, August 2004
Phoenix Children’s Hospital, October 2004
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, April 2005
Platelet Disorder Support Association, San Francisco, June 2005
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, August 2005
Children’s Cancer Congress, Amman, Jordan, September 2005
Peer Reviewed Scientific Articles:
1. Buchanan GR, Schwartz AD: Impaired erythropoietin response in anemic premature infants. Blood
2. Buchanan GR: Acute hemolytic anemia as a presenting manifestation of Wilson's disease. J Pediatr
3. Latt SA, Stetten G, Juergens LA, Buchanan GR, Gerald P: Induction by alkylating agents of sister
chromatid exchanges and chromosomal breaks in Fanconi's anemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA
4. Buchanan GR, Boxer LA, Nathan DG: The acute and transient nature of idiopathic immune
hemolytic anemia in childhood. J Pediatr 1976;88:780-783.
5. Buchanan GR, Handin RI: Platelet function in the Chediak-Higashi syndrome. Blood
6. Glader BE, Buchanan GR: Care of the critically ill child: the bleeding neonate. Pediatrics
7. Buchanan GR, Scher C, Button LN, Nathan DG: Use of homologous platelet survival in the
differential diagnosis of chronic thrombocytopenia in childhood. Pediatrics 1977;59:49-54.
8. Buchanan GR, Green DM, Handin RI: Combined von Willebrand's disease and Hageman factor
deficiency. J Pediatr 1977;90:779-781.
9. Sallan SL, Buchanan GR: Selective erythroid aplasia during therapy for acute lymphoblastic
leukemia. Pediatrics 1977;59:895-898.
10. Buchanan GR, Glader BE: The benign course of extreme hyperbilirubinemia in children with sickle
cell anemia. J Pediatr 1977;31:21-24.
11. Buchanan GR, Marvin V, Levine P, Scoon K, Handin RI: Effect of "anti-platelet" drugs on the
bleeding time and platelet aggregation in normal human subjects. Am J Clin Path 1977;68:355-359.
12. Buchanan GR, Glader BE: Leukocyte counts in children with sickle cell disease: comparative values
in the steady state, vaso-occlusive crisis, and bacterial infection. Am J Dis Child 1978;132:396-398.
13. Buchanan GR: Neonatal coagulation: normal physiology and pathophysiology. Clinics in Haematol
14. Buchanan GR, Kevy SV: Prothrombin complex concentrates in hemophiliacs with inhibitors: clinical
and laboratory observations. Pediatrics 1978;62:767-774.
15. Buchanan GR, Handin RI: Failure of three anti-platelet drugs to impair hemostasis in patients with
hemophilia. JAMA 1978;240:2173-2174.
16. Li F, Potter NU, Buchanan GR, Vawter C, Peng-Wang J: A family with acute leukemia, hypoplastic
anemia, and cerebellar ataxia: association with bone marrow C-monosomy. Amer J Med
17. Glader BE, Propper RD, Buchanan GR: Microcytosis associated with sickle cell anemia. Amer J Clin
18. Caballero F, Buchanan GR: Abetalipoproteinemia presenting as severe vitamin K deficiency.
19. Buchanan GR: Hemophilia. Pediatric Clinics of North America 1980;27:309-326.
20. Buchanan GR: Current concepts of von Willebrand's disease. Pediatr Annals 1980;9:328-341.
21. Buchanan GR, Bottomley SS, Nitschke R: Bone marrow delta-aminolevulinate synthase deficiency in
a female with congenital sideroblastic anemia. Blood 1980;53:109-115.
22. Buchanan GR, Schiffman G: Antibody responses to polyvalent pneumococcal vaccine in infants with
sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr 1980;96:262-266.
23. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp C: Anti-thrombin III deficiency in children with leukemia receiving L-
asparaginase. Med Pediatr Oncol 1980;8:7-14.
24. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp C: Prolonged bleeding time in children and young adults with hemophilia.
25. McGehee F, Buchanan GR: Trichophagia and trichobezoar: etiologic role of iron deficiency. J Pediatr
26. Buchanan GR, Sheehan RG: Malabsorption and defective utilization of iron in three siblings. J
27. Buchanan GR, Alter B, Holtkamp CA, Walsh E: Platelet number and function in Diamond-Blackfan
anemia. Pediatrics 1981;68:238-241.
28. Buchanan GR, Moore GC: Pulmonary hemosiderosis and immune thrombocytopenia: initial
manifestations of collagen-vascular disease. JAMA 1981;246:861-864.
29. Froelich TW, Buchanan GR, Cornet JAM, Sartain PA, Smith RG: Terminal deoxynucleotidyl
transferase-containing cells in peripheral blood: implications for the surveillance of patients with
lymphoblastic leukemia or lymphoma in remission. Blood 1981;58:214-220.
30. Buchanan GR, Chipman JJ, Hamilton BL, Daughaday WH: Angiomatous lymphoid hamartoma:
inhibitory effects of erythropoiesis, growth, and primary hemostasis. J Pediatr 1981;99:382-388.
31. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA, Levy EN: Racial differences in ristocetin-induced platelet aggregation.
Br J Haematol 1981;49:455-464.
32. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Platelet aggregation, malondialdehyde generation, and production time
in children with sickle cell anemia. Thromb Haemostas 1981;46:690-693.
33. Shannon K, Buchanan GR, Votteler TP: Multiple hepatic hemangiomas: failure of steroid therapy
and successful hepatic artery ligation. Am J Dis Child 1982;136:275-276.
34. Shannon K, Buchanan GR: Severe hemolytic anemia in black children with glucose-6-phosphate-
dehydrogenase deficiency. Pediatrics 1982;70:364-369.
35. Buchanan GR: Congenital polycythemia in the absence of detectable erythropoietin. J Pediatr
36. Keely K, Buchanan GR: Acute infarction of long bones in children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr
37. Buchanan GR, Siegel JD, Smith SJ, DePasse BM: Oral penicillin prophylaxis in children with
impaired splenic function: a study of compliance. Pediatrics 1982;70:926-930.
38. Shannon K, Fink CW, Buchanan GR, Punaro M, Stastny P: Lymphocyte subpopulations in Kawasaki
disease. Clin Exp Rheumatol 1983;1:59-62.
39. Sasaki J, Waterman MR, Buchanan GR, Cottam GL: Plasma and erythrocyte lipids in sickle cell
anemia. Clin Lab Haemat 1983;5:35-44.
40. Turner GR, Marks JF, Buchanan GR: Relative hyperglucagonemia in L-asparaginase and prednisone
induced glucose intolerance. Clin Pediatr 1983;22:363-367.
41. Fearon ER, Kazazian HH Jr, Waber PG, Lee JI, Antonarakis SE, Orkin SH, Vanin EF, Henthorn PS,
Grosveld FH, Scott AF, Buchanan GR: The entire γ-globin gene cluster is deleted in a form of γδβ-
thalassemia. Blood 1983;61:1269-1274.
42. Buchanan GR, Smith SJ, Holtkamp CA, Fuseler J: Bacterial infection and splenic reticuloendothelial
function in children with hemoglobin SC disease. Pediatrics 1983;72:93-98.
43. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Evidence against enhanced platelet activity in sickle cell anaemia. Br J
44. Buchanan GR, Bowman P, Smith SJ: Recurrent cerebral ischemia during hypertransfusion therapy in
sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr 1983;103:921-923.
45. Shannon K, Ball E, Wasserman R, Murphy FK, Luby J, Buchanan GR: Transfusion associated
cytomegalovirus infection and acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) in an infant. J Pediatr
46. Sonnier JA, Buchanan GR, Howard-Peebles PN, Rutledge J, Smith RG: Chromosomal translocation
involving the kappa and heavy immunoglobulin chain loci in a child with chronic lymphocytic
leukemia. N Engl J Med 1983;309:590-594.
47. Anglin D, Siegel J, Pacini D, Smith SJ, Adams G, Buchanan GR: The effect of penicillin prophylaxis
on nasopharyngeal colonization with Streptococcus pneumoniae in children with sickle cell anemia. J
48. Shannon K, Buchanan GR, Fink CW, Stastny P: Lymphocyte populations in childhood idiopathic
thrombocytopenic purpura. Am J Dis Child 1984;138:64-65.
49. Andrews J, Buchanan GR: Mild splenic sequestration crises in sickle hemoglobin C disease. Clin
50. Walterspiel J, Schad GA, Buchanan GR: Direct transfer of adult hookworms (Anclyostoma
duodenale) from dog to child for therapeutic purposes. J Parasitol 1984;70:217-219.
51. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Prednisone therapy for children with newly diagnosed idiopathic
thrombocytopenic purpura. A randomized clinical trial. Am J Ped Hem/Onc 1984;6:355-361.
52. Buchanan GR: Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in childhood. Texas Medicine 1985;81:46-49.
53. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Splenic reticuloendothelial function in children with cancer. J Pediatr
54. Balaban EP, Buchanan GR, Graham M, Frenkel E: The Diamond-Blackfan syndrome in the adult
patient. Amer J Med 1985;78:533-538.
55. Buchanan GR: The mild anemia of acute infection. Pediatr Infec Dis 1985;4:225-228.
56. Buchanan GR: Childhood acute idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: How many tests and how
much treatment required? J Pediatr 1985;106:928-930.
57. Walterspiel JN, Buchanan GR, Schad GA, Carpentieri U: Erythropoietin-induced congenital
erythrocytosis: treatment with myelosuppressive agents and hookworm infestation. J Pediatr
58. Buchanan GR, Buchsbaum HJ, O'Banion K, Gojer B: Extravasation of actinomycin-D, vincristine,
and cis-diamminedichloroplatinum: studies in an animal model. Med Ped Oncol 1985;13:375-380.
59. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Plasma levels of platelet and vascular prostaglandin derivatives in
children with sickle cell anemia. Thrombos Haemostas 1985;54:394-396.
60. Alvarado CS, Buchanan GR, Kim TH, Zaatari G, Sartain P: Use of VP-16-213 in the treatment of
familial erythrophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Cancer 1986;57:1097-1100.
61. Shannon K, Nunez G, Dow LW, Weinberg AG, Sato Y, Stastny P, Buchanan GR: Surface antigen
phenotyping by monoclonal antibodies and cytogenetic studies of in vitro colonies in juvenile chronic
myelogenous leukemia. Pediatrics 1986;77:330-335.
62. Buchanan GR, Richards N, Sexauer C, Stevens B: Serologic response to hepatitis B vaccine in
children receiving multiple blood transfusions. Pediatr Inf Dis 1986;5:68-70.
63. Buchanan GR, Smith SJ: Pneumococcal septicemia despite a penicillin prophylaxis program in
children with sickle cell anemia: a problem of compliance. Am J Dis Child 19886;140:428-432.
64. Buchanan GR, Richards N, Holtkamp CA, Rutledge J: Hepatitis in household contacts of multi-
transfused hemophiliacs. J Pediatr 1986;108:937-939.
65. Rivera GK, Buchanan G, Boyett J, Camitta B, Ochs J, Kalwinsky D, Amylon M, Vietti TJ, Crist
WM: Intensive retreatment of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia in first bone marrow relapse.
N Engl J Med 1986;315:273-278.
66. Buchanan GR: Coagulation disorders in the neonate. Pediat Clin N Amer 1986;33:203-220.
67. Sprinkle RH, Cole T, Smith S, Buchanan GR: Acute chest syndrome in children with sickle cell
disease: a retrospective analysis of 100 hospitalized patients. Am J Pediatr Hematol/Oncol
68. Gootenberg JE, Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA, Casey C: Severe hemorrhage in a patient with gray
platelet syndrome. J Pediatr 1986;109:1017-1019.
69. Cole TB, Sprinkle RH, Smith SJ, Buchanan GR: Intravenous narcotic infusions for children with
severe sickle cell pain crisis. Amer J Dis Child 1986;140:1255-1259.
70. Cole T, Smith J, Buchanan GR: Hematologic alterations during acute infection in children with sickle
cell disease. Pediatr Inf Dis 1987;6:454-457.
71. Buchanan GR: The nontreatment of childhood idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Eur J Pediatr
72. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA, Horton JA: Formation and disappearance of pocked erythrocytes:
studies in human subjects and laboratory animals. Am J Hematol 1987;25:243-251.
73. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Pocked erythrocyte counts in patients with hereditary spherocytosis
before and after splenectomy. Am J Hematol 1987;25:253-257.
74. Hetherington ML, Huntsman PR, Smith RG, Buchanan GR: Terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase
(TdT)-containing peripheral blood mononuclear cells during remission of acute lymphoblastic
leukemia: low sensitivity and specificity prevent accurate prediction of relapse. Leukemia Res
75. Lauer SJ, Pinkel D, Kun LE, Buchanan GR, Sartain PA, Krance R, Borella LD, Casper JT, Hoffman
RG, Camitta BM, Cornet JAM: Cytosine arabinoside/cyclophos- phamide pulses during continuation
therapy for childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Potential selective effect in T-cell leukemia.
76. Buchanan GR, Kamen BA: Childhood acute leukemia as a prototype of curable cancer. Texas
77. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: Reduced hemoglobin values in children and young adults with
hemophilia. Pediatrics 1988;81:840-845.
78. Yoffe G, Buchanan GR: Intracranial hemorrhage in newborn and young infants with hemophilia. J
79. Buchanan GR: The war against childhood cancer: a partial victory. Dallas Med J 1988;74:206-210.
80. Hetherington M, Buchanan GR: Elevated serum transaminase values during therapy for acute
lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer 1988;62:1614-1618.
81. Winick N, Buchanan GR, Murphy SB, Yu A, Boyett J: Deoxycoformycin treatment for childhood T-
cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia early in second remission: A Pediatric Oncology Group study.
Med Pediatr Oncol 1988;16:327-332.
82. Buchanan GR, Rivera G, Boyett J, Chauvenet A, Crist W, Vietti T: Reinduction therapy in 297
children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in first bone marrow relapse. A Pediatric Oncology
Group study. Blood 1988;72:1286-1292.
83. Rodriguez RC, Buchanan GR, Clanton KS: Prophylactic cryoprecipitate in congenital
afibrinogenemia. Clin Pediatr 1988;27:543-545.
84. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA: A comparable study of variables affecting the bleeding time using two
disposable devices. Am J Clin Path 1989;19:45-51.
85. Rivera GK, Santana V, Mahmoud H, Buchanan G, Crist WM: Acute lymphocytic leukemia of
childhood: The problem of relapses. Bone Marrow Transplant 989;4(Suppl.1):80-85.
86. Yoffe G, Schneider N, Van Dyk L, Yang CY-C, Siciliano M, Buchanan G, Capra JD, Baer R: The
chromosome translocation (11;14) (p13;q11) associated with T cell acute lymphocytic leukemia: An
11-13 breakpoint cluster region. Blood 1989;74:374-379.
87. Buchanan GR: Overview of ITP treatment modalities in children. Blut 1989;59:95-104.
88. Pappo A, Buchanan GR: Acute splenic sequestration in a two-month-old infant with sickle cell
anemia. Pediatrics 1989;84:578-579.
89. Pappo A, Buchanan GR, Johnson A: Septic arthritis in patients with hemophilia. AJDC
90. Buchanan GR, McKie V, Jackson EA, Vedro DA, Hamner S. Holtkamp CA: Splenic phagocytic
function in children with sickle cell anemia receiving chronic hypertransfusion therapy. J Pediatr
91. Dubansky AS, Boyett J, Falletta J, Mahoney DH, Land VJ, Pullen J, Buchanan GR: Isolated
thrombocytopenia in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A rare event in a Pediatric
Oncology Group Study. Pediatrics 1989;84:1068-1071.
92. Rogers ZR, Bergstrom SK, Amylon MD, Buchanan GR, Glader BE: Reduced neutrophil counts in
children with transient erythroblastopenia of childhood. J Pediatr 1989;115:746-748.
93. Shannon KM, Clemons GK, Torkildson JC, Buchanan GR, Mentzer WC: Spontaneous resolution of
primary erythrocytosis in two girls. Pediatr Hematol/Oncol 1989;6:373-382.
94. Yoffe G, Howard-Peebles PN, Smith RG, Tucker PW, Buchanan GR: Childhood chronic
lymphocytic leukemia with t(2;14) translocation. J Pediatr 1990;116:114-117.
95. Chin Q, Cheng J-T, Schneider N, Buchanan G, Carroll A, Crist W, Ozanne B, Siciliano MJ, Baer R0:
The tal gene undergoes chromosome translocation in T cell leukemia and potentially encodes a helix-
loop-helix protein. EMBO Journal 1990;9:415-424.
96. Buchanan GR, Holtkamp CA, Johnson A: Reduced serum haptoglobin values in hemophiliacs
receiving monoclonally purified Factor VIII concentrates. Am J Hematol 1990;33:234-237.
97. Carroll AJ, Crist WM, Link MP, Amylon MD, Pullen J, Ragab AH, Buchanan GR, Wimmer RS,
Vietti TJ: The t(1;14)(p24;q11) is nonrandom and restricted to T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia:
A Pediatric Oncology Group study. Blood 1990;76:1220-1224.
98. Jonsson O, Sartain P, Ducore JM, Buchanan GR: Bone pain as an initial symptom of childhood acute
lymphoblastic leukemia: association with near normal hematologic indices. J Pediatr
99. Brown L, Cheng J-T, Chin Q, Siciliano MJ, Crist W, Buchanan G, Baer R: Site-specific
recombination of the tal-1 gene is a common occurrence in human T-cell leukemia. EMBO Journal
100. Ochs J, Rivera GK, Pollock BH, Buchanan G, Crist W, Freeman AI: Teniposide (VM-26) and
continuous infusion cytosine arabinoside for initial induction failure in childhood acute lymphoblastic
leukemia. Cancer 1990;66:1671-1677.
101. Buchanan GR: Diagnosis and management of relapse in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Hematol
Oncol Clin N Amer 1990;4:971-995.
102. Mullen CA, Buchanan GR: Early hospital discharge of children with cancer treated for fever and
neutropenia: identification and management of the low risk patient. J Clin Oncol 1990;8:1998-2004.
103. Rogers ZR, Morrison RA, Vedro DA, Buchanan GR: Outpatient management of febrile illness in
infants and young children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr 1990;117:736-739.
104. Sanders JM, Holtkamp CA, Buchanan GR: The bleeding time may be longer in children than adults.
Am J Pediatr Hematol/Oncol 1990;12:314-318.
105. Jonsson OG, Buchanan GR: Chronic neutropenia in childhood: a thirteen year experience from a
single institution. AJDC 1991;145:232-235.
106. Katz JA, Chambers B, Everhart C, Marks JF, Buchanan GR: Linear growth in children with acute
lymphoblastic leukemia treated without cranial irradiation. J Pediatr 1991;118:575-578.
107. Cohen AR, Buchanan GR, Martin M, Ohene-Frempong K: Increased blood requirements during
long-term transfusion therapy for sickle cell disease. J Pediatr 1991;118:405-407.
108. Ochs J Brecher M, Mahoney D, Ragab A, Pollock B, Buchanan G, Whitehead M, Ravindranath Y,
Freeman A: Recombinant interferon-α given before and in combination with standard chemotherapy
in children with acute lymphocytic leukemia in first marrow relapse. A Pediatric Oncology Group
study. J Clin Oncol 1991;9:777-782.
109. Griffin TC, Squires JE, Timmons CF, Buchanan GR: Chronic human parvovirus B19-induced
erythroid hypoplasia as the initial manifestation of human immunodeficiency virus infection. J
110. Hoots WK, Buchanan GR, Parmley RT, Alperin JB, Kletzel M, Sexauer CL: Comprehensive care for
patients with hemophilia: an expanded role in reducing risk for human immunodeficiency virus.
Texas Medicine 1991;87:73-75.
111. Buchanan GR, Boyett JM, Pollock BH, Smith SD, Yanowsky RA, Kim TH, Wharam MD, Crist
WM, Vietti TJ, Johnson W, Rivera GK: Improved treatment results in boys with testicular relapse
during or shortly following initial therapy of acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology
Group study. Cancer 1991;68:48-55.
112. Jonsson OG, Kitchens RL, Baer RJ, Buchanan GR, Smith RG: Rearrangements of the tal-1 locus as
clonal markers for T cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Clin Invest 1991;87:2029-2035.
113. Pappo A, Schneider NR, Sanders JM, Buchanan GR: Secondary myelodysplastic syndrome
complicating therapy for osteogenic sarcoma. Cancer 1991;68:1373-1375.
114. Katz JA, Bash R, Cash J, Buchanan GR: The yield of routine chest radiography in child with cancer
hospitalized for fever and neutropenia. Cancer 1991;68:940-943.
115. Weitman SD, Buchanan GR, Kamen BA: Pulmonary toxicity of deferoxamine in children with
advanced cancer. J Natl Canc Inst 1991;83:1834-1835.
116. Michel JB, Hernandez JA, Buchanan GR: A fatal case of acute splenic sequestration in a 53 year old
woman with sickle-hemoglobin C disease. Am J Med 1992;92:97-100.
117. Wofford MM, Smith SD, Shuster JJ, Johnson W, Buchanan GR, Wharam MD, Ritchey AK, Rosen
D, Haggard ME, Golembe BL, Rivera GK: Treatment of occult or late overt testicular relapse in
children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol
118. Winick NJ, Bowman WP, Kamen BA, Roach ES, Rollins N, Jacaruso D, Buchanan GR: Unexpected
acute neurologic toxicity in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Natl Canc Inst
119. Pappo AS, Fields BW, Buchanan GR: Etiology of red blood cell macrocytosis during childhood:
Impact of new diseases and therapies. Pediatrics 1992;89:1063-1067.
120. Griffin TC, Buchanan GR: Hematologic predictors of bone marrow recovery in neutropenic patients
hospitalized for fever: Implications for discontinuation of antibiotics and early hospital discharge. J
121. Abshire TC, Buchanan GR, Jackson JF, Shuster JJ, Brock B, Head D, Crist WM, Link MP, Borowitz
M, Pullen DJ: Morphologic, immunologic, and cytogenetic studies at time of first marrow relapse in
children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL): A Pediatric Oncology Group study. Leukemia
122. Katz JA, Bash RO, Cash JV, Buchanan GR: The value of C-reactive protein determination in the
diagnostic evaluation of the febrile, neutropenic child with cancer. Pediatr Inf Dis 1992;11:708-722.
123. Vats T, Buchanan G, Mehta P, Ragab A, Hvizdala E, Nitschke R, Link M, Beardsley GP, Maybee D,
Krischer J: A study of toxicity and comparative therapeutic efficacy of vindesine-prednisone vs.
vincristine-prednisone in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in relapse. A Pediatric
Oncology Group study. Invest New Drugs 1992;10:231-234.
124. Troisi CL, Hollinger FB, Hoots WK, Contant C, Gill J, Magni M, Parmley R, Sexauer C, Gomperts
E, Buchanan G, Schwartz B, Adair S, Fields H: A multicenter study of viral hepatitis in a United
States hemophilic population. Blood 1993;81:412-418.
125. Winick N, McKenna RW, Shuster JJ, Schneider NR, Borowitz MJ, Bowman WP, Jacaruso D,
Kamen BA, Buchanan GR: Secondary acute myeloid leukemia in children with acute lymphoblastic
leukemia treated with etoposide. J Clin Oncol 1993;11:209-217.
126. Winick NJ, Smith SD, Shuster J, Lauer S. Wharam MD, Land V, Buchanan G, Rivera G: Treatment
of CNS relapse in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. J
Clin Oncol 1993;11:271-278.
127. Sadowitz PD, Smith SD, Shuster J, Wharam MD, Buchanan GR, Rivera GK: Treatment of late bone
marrow relapse in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study.
128. Bash RO, Crist WM, Shuster JJ, Link MP, Amylon M, Pullen J, Buchanan GR, Smith RG, Baer R:
Clinical features and outcome of T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia in childhood with respect to
alterations of the TAL1 locus. A Pediatric Oncology Group Study. Blood 1993;81:1889-1897.
129. Ragni MV, Belle SH, Jaffe RA, Duerstein SL, Bass DC, McMillan CW, Lovrien EW, Aledort LM,
Kisker CT, Stabler SP, Hoots WK, Hilgartner MW, Cox-Gill J, Buchanan GR, Sanders NL, Brettler
DB, Barron LE, Goldsmith JC, Ewenstein B, Smith KJ, Green D, Addiego JE, Kingsley LA:
Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome associated with non-Hodgkin's lymphomas and other
malignancies in patients with hemophilia. Blood 1993;81:1889-1897.
130. Griffin TC, Buchanan GR: Elective surgery in children with sickle cell disease without preoperative
blood transfusion. J Pediatr Surg 1993;28:681-685.
131. Bernstein ML, Whitehead VM, Devine S, Grier H, Kung F, Krischer J, Dreyer Z, Bell B, Land V,
Buchanan GR, Pratt C: Ifosfamide with MESNA uroprotection and etopposide in recurrent/refractory
acute leukemia in childhood. A Pediatric Oncology Group study. Cancer 1993;72:1790-1794.
132. Katz JA, Buchanan GR: Childhood cancer - A bittersweet victory. Dallas Med J 1993;79.
133. Bernini JC, Buchanan GR, Ashcraft J: Hypoprothrombinemia and severe hemorrhage associated with
a lupus anticoagulant. J Pediatr 1993;123:937-939.
134. Mustafa MM, Pappo A, Cash J, Winick NJ, Buchanan GR: Aerosolized pentamidine for the
prevention of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in children with cancer intolerant or allergic to
trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:258-261.
135. Zappa SC, Johnson AG, Cochran CJ, Sanders JM, Buchanan GR: Implantable intravenous access
devices in children with hemophilia. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 1994;148:327-330.
136. Griffin TC, McIntire D, Buchanan GR: High-dose intravenous methylprednisolone therapy for severe
painful events in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease: A randomized, placebo-controlled
study. N Engl J Med 1994;330:733-737.
137. Fort DW, Bernini JC, Johnson A, Cochran CJ, Buchanan GR: Splenic rupture in hemophilia. Am J
Pediatr Hematol/Oncol 1994;16:255-259.
138. Lauer SJ, Ochs J, Pollock BH, Buchanan GR: Recombinant alpha-2b interferon treatment for
childhood T-lymphoblastic disease in relapse. A Pediatric Oncology Group Phase II Study. Cancer
139. Bash RO, Katz JA, Cash JV, Buchanan GR: Safety and cost effectiveness of early hospital discharge
of lower risk children with cancer admitted for fever and neutropenia. Cancer 1994;74:189-196.
140. Lane PA, Rogers ZR, Woods GM, Wang WC, Wilimas JA, Miller ST, Khakoo Y, Buchanan GR:
Fatal pneumococcal septicemia in hemoglobin SC disease. J Pediatr 1994;124:859-862.
141. Castleberry RP, Cantor AB, Green AA, Joshi V, Berkow RL, Buchanan GR, Leventhal B, Mahoney
DH, Smith EI, Hayes FA: Phase II investigational window using carboplatin, iproplatin, and
epirubicin in children with untreated disseminated neuroblastoma: a Pediatric Oncology Group study.
J Clin Oncol 1994;12:1616-1620.
142. Sadowitz PD, Dubowy D, Souid A, Pollock BR, Weinstein H, Parmley RT, Bowman WP, Land V,
Vats T, Pratt C, Buchanan GR: A Phase I trial of continuous infusion carboplatin and etoposide
(VP-16) in children with refractory acute leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group (POG) Phase I
study. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:1969-1973.
143. Griffin TC, Bowman WP, Winick NJ, Buchanan GR: Treatment of advanced stage diffuse, small
non-cleaved cell lymphoma in childhood: Further experience with total therapy B. Med Pediatr Oncol
144. Barrett AJ, Horowitz MM, Pollock BH, Zhang M-J, Bortin MM, Buchanan GR, Camitta BM, Ochs
J, Graham-Pole J, Rowlings PA, Rimm AA, Shuster JJ, Sobocinski KA, Gale RP: Bone marrow
transplant from HLA-identical siblings as compared with chemotherapy for children with acute
lymphoblastic leukemia in a second remission. N Engl J Med 1994;331:1253-1258.
145. Aquino VM, Pappo A, Buchanan GR, Tkaczewski I, Mustafa MM: The changing epidemiology of
bacteremia in neutropenic children with cancer. Pediatr Inf Dis J. 1995;14:140-143.
146. Lane PA, O'Connell JL, Lear JL, Rogers ZR, Woods GM Hassell KL, Wethers D, Luckey DW,
Buchanan GR: Functional asplenia in hemoglobin SC disease. Blood. 1995;85:2238-2244.
147. Buchanan GR: Newer concepts in the management of sickle cell disease. Focus & Opinion:
148. Bernini JC, Mustafa MM, Sutor LJ, Buchanan GR: Fatal hemolysis induced by ceftriaxone in a child
with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr 1995;126:813-815.
149. Buchanan GR: ITP: How much treatment is enough? Contemp Pediatr 1995;12:23-48.
150. Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR: Bacteremia in children with sickle hemoglobin-C disease and sickle-beta
plus thalassemia: Is prophylactic penicillin necessary? J Pediatr 1995;127:348-354.
151. Bernini JC, Carrillo JM, Buchanan GR: High-dose intravenous methylprednisolone therapy for
patients with Diamond-Blackfan anemia refractory to conventional doses of prednisone. J Pediatr
152. Falletta JM, Woods GM, Verter JI, Buchanan GR, Pegelow CH, Iyer RV, Miller ST, Holbrook CT,
Kinney TR, Vichinsky E, Becton DL, Wang W, Johnstone HS, Wethers DL, Reaman GH, deBaum
MR, Grossman NJ Kalinyak K, Jorgensen JH, Bjornson A, Thomas MD, Reid C: Discontinuing
penicillin prophylaxis in children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr 1995;127:685-690.
153. Wang WC, Wong W-Y, Rogers ZR, Wilimas JA, Buchanan GR, Powars DR: Antibiotic-resistant
pneumococcal infection in children with sickle cell disease in the United States. J Pediatr
154. Mustafa MM, Aquino VM, Pappo A, Tkaczewski I, Buchanan GR: A pilot study of outpatient
management of febrile neutropenic children with cancer at low risk of bacteremia. J Pediatr
155. Norris CF, Surrey S, Bunin GR, Schwartz E, Buchanan GR, McKenzie SE: Relationship between Fc
receptor IIA polymorphism and infection in children with sickle cell disease. J Pediatr
156. Aquino V, Buchanan G: Osteogenic sarcoma in a child with transfusion dependent Diamond-
Blackfan anemia. J Pediatr Hematol/Oncol 1996;18:230-232.
157. Winick N, Shuster JJ, Bowman WP, Borowitz M, Farrow A, Jacaruso D, Buchanan GR, Kamen BA:
Intensive oral methotrexate protects against lymphoid marrow relapse in childhood B-precursor acute
lymphoblastic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:2803-2811.
158. Walters MC, Patience M, Leisenring W, Eckman JR, Buchanan GR, Rogers ZR, Olivieri NF,
Vichinsky E, Davies SC, Mentzer WC, Powars D, Scott JP,Bernaudin F, Ohene-Frempong K,
Darbyshire PF, Wayne A, Roberts IAG, Dinndorf P, Brandalise S, Sanders JE, Matthews DC,
Appelbaum FR, Storb R, Sullivan KM: Barriers to bone marrow transplantation for sickle cell
anemia. Biol Blood & BMT 1996;2:100-104.
159. Bernini JC, Wooley R, Buchanan GR: Low-dose recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating
factor therapy in children with symptomatic chronic idiopathic neutropenia. J Pediatr
160. Ragni MV, Belle SH, Jaffe R, Locker J, Duerstein SL, Bass DC, Addiego JE, Aledort LM, Barron
LE, Brettler DB, Buchanan GR, Gill JC, Ewenstein BM, Green D, Hilgartner MW, Hoots WK,
Kisker CT, Lovrien EW, Rutherford CJ, Sanders NL, Smith KJ, Stabler SP, Swindells S, White GC
III, Kingsley LA for the Hemophilia Malignancy Study Group: AIDS-Associated non-Hodgkin’s
lymphomas as primary and secondary AIDS diagnoses in hemophiliacs. J Acquir Immune Defic
Syndr Hum Retrovirol 1996;13:78-86.
161. Zwiener RJ, Fielman BA, Cochran C, Rogers BB, Dawson DB, Timmons CF, Buchanan GR:
Interferon alfa - 2b treatment of chronic hepatitis C in children with hemophilia. Pediatr Infect Dis J
162. Bjornson AB, Falletta JM, Verter JI, Buchanan GR, Miller ST, Pegelow CH, Iyer RV, Johnstone HS,
DeBaun MR, Wethers DL, Wang W, Woods GM, Holbrook CT, Becton DL, Kinney TR, Reaman
GH, Kalinyak K, Grossman NJ, Vichinsky E, Reid CD: Serotype-specific IgG antibody responses to
pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in children with sickle cell anemia: effects of continued
penicillin prophylaxis. J Pediatr 1996;129:828-835.
163. Aquino VM, Buchanan GR, Tkaczewski I, Mustafa MM: Safety of early hospital discharge of
selected febrile children and adolescents with cancer with prolonged neutropenia. Med Ped Oncol
164. Bernstein ML, Abshire TC, Pollock BH, Devine S, Toledano S, Steuber CP, Bowman WP, Buchanan
GR: Idarubicin and cytosine arabinoside reinduction therapy for children with multiple recurrent or
refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. J Pediatr
165. Sandler ES, Friedman DJ, Mustafa MM, Winick NJ, Bowman WP, Buchanan GR: Treatment of
children with epipodophyllotoxin-induced secondary acute myelogenous leukemia. Cancer
166. Farrow AC, Buchanan GR, Zwiener RJ, Bowman WP, Winick NJ: Serum aminotransferase elevation
during and following treatment of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. J Clin Oncol
167. Rogers B, Bloom S, Buchanan G: Autosomal dominantly inherited Diamond-Blackfan anemia
resulting in nonimmune hydrops. Obstet Gynecol 1997;89:805-807.
168. Sullivan KM, Walters MC, Patience M, Leisenring W, Buchanan GR, Castro O, Davies SC,
Dickerhoff R, Eckman JR, Graham ML, Ohene-Frempong K, Powars D, Rogers ZR, Scott JP, Styles
L, Vichinsky E, Wall DA, Wayne AS, Wiley J, Wingard J, Bunin N, Camitta B, Darbyshire PJ,
Dinndorf P, Klingebiel T, McMahon L, Mentzer WC, Olivieri N, Orringer E, Parkman R, Roberts
IAG, Sanders JE, Smith FO, Storb R: Collaborative study of marrow transplantation for sickle cell
disease: aspects specific for transplantation of hemoglobin disorders. Bone Marrow Transplant
1997;19 (Suppl) 2 102-105.
169. Aquino VM, Norvell JM, Buchanan GR: Acute splenic complications in children with sickle cell-
hemoglobin C disease. J Pediatr 1997;130:961-965.
170. Aquino VM, Tkaczewski I, Buchanan GR: Early discharge of the low-risk febrile neutropenic child
with cancer. Clin Infect Dis 1997;25:74-78.
171. Farah RA, Rogers ZR, Thompson WR, Hicks BA, Guzzetta PC, Buchanan GR: Comparison of
laparoscopic and open splenectomy in children with hematologic disorders. J Pediatr 1997;131:41-46.
172. Medeiros D, Miller KL, Rollins NK, Buchanan, GR: Contrast venography in young haemophiliacs
with implantable central venous access devices. Haemophilia 1998;4:10-15.
173. Miller K, Buchanan GR, Zappa S, Cochran C, Laufenberg J, Medeiros D, Sanders J: Implantable
venous access devices in children with hemophilia: A report of low infection rates. J Pediatr.
174. Oeffinger KC, Eshelman DA, Tomlinson GE, Buchanan GR: Programs for adult survivors of
childhood cancer. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:2864-2867.
175. Bernini JC, Rogers ZR, Sandler ES, Reisch JS, Buchanan GR: Beneficial effect of intravenous
dexamethasone in children with mild to moderately severe acute chest syndrome complicating sickle
cell disease. Blood 1998;92:3082-3089.
176. Medeiros D, Buchanan GR: Major hemorrhage in children with idiopathic thrombocytopenic
purpura: Immediate response to therapy and long-term outcome. J Pediatr 1998;133:334-339.
177. Aquino VM, Mustafa MM, Vaickus L, Wooley R, Buchanan GR: Recombinant interleukin-6 in the
treatment of congenital thrombocytopenia associated with absent radii. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol
178. Mustafa MM, Buchanan GR, Winick NJ, McCracken GH, Tkaczewski I, Lipscomb M, Ansari Q,
Agopian MS: Immune recovery in children with malignancy after cessation of chemotherapy. J
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 1998;20:451-457.
179. Quinn CT, Buchanan GR: The acute chest syndrome of sickle cell disease. J Pediatr
180. Rodriguez-Cortes HM, Griener JC, Hyland K, Bottiglieri T, Bennett MJ, Kamen BA, Buchanan GR :
Plasma homocysteine levels and folate status in children with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr Hematol/
181. Buchanan GR: The tragedy of iron deficiency during infancy and early childhood. J Pediatr
182. Farah RA, Buchanan GR, Timmons CF, Phillips L, Fairbanks VF, Snow K, Hoyer JD : Double
heterozygosity for Hb G-San José [β7(A4)Glu→Gly] and Hb Fukuoka [β2(NA2)His→Tyr] in a 2 ½-
year-old girl. Hemoglobin 1999;23:383-387.
183. Buchanan GR: Factor concentrate prophylaxis for neonates with hemophilia. J Pediatr Hematol
184. Ritchey AK, Pollock BH, Lauer SL, Andejeski Y, Buchanan GR: Improved survival of children with
isolated CNS relapse of acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A Pediatric Oncology Group study. J Clin
185. Sayad AE, Farah RA, Rogers ZR, Heubi JE, Buchanan GR, Squires, RH Jr: Correlation of serum
cholylglycine level with hepatic dysfunction in children with sickle cell anemia. Clin Pediatr
186. Mantadakis E, Cavender JD, Rogers ZR, Ewalt DH, Buchanan GR: Prevalence of priapism in
children and adolescents with sickle cell anemia. J Pedatr Hematol Oncol 1999;21:518-522.
187. Mantadakis E, Ewalt DH, Cavender JD, Rogers ZR, Buchanan, G: Outpatient penile aspiration and
epinephrine irrigation for young patients with sickle cell anemia and prolonged priapism. Blood
188. Vesely S, Buchanan GR, Cohen, A, Raskob G, George J: Self-reported diagnostic and management
strategies in childhood idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: Results of a survey of practicing
pediatric hematology-oncology specialists. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2000;22:55-61.
189. Buchanan GR, Rivera GK, Pollock BH, Boyett JM, Chauvenet AR, Wagner H, Maybee DA, Crist
WM, Pinkel D: Alternating drug pairs with or without periodic reinduction in children with acute
lymphoblastic leukemia in second bone marrow remission: A Pediatric Oncology Group Study.
190. Aquino VM, Herrera L, Sandler ES, Buchanan GR: Feasibility of oral ciprofloxacin for the
outpatient management of febrile neutropenia in selected children with cancer. Cancer
191. Walters MC, Storb R, Patience M, Leisenring W, Taylor T, Sanders JE, Buchanan GR, Rogers ZR,
Dinndorf P, Davies SC, Roberts IAG, Dickerhoff R, Yeager AM, Hsu L, Kurtzberg J, Ohene-
Frempong K, Bunin N, Bernaudin F, Wong W-Y, Scott JP, Margolis D, Vichinsky E, Wall DA,
Wayne AS, Pegelow C, Redding-Lallinger R, Wiley J, Klemperer M, Mentzer WC, Smith FO,
Sullivan KM for the Multicenter Investigation of Bone Marrow Transplantation for Sickle Cell
Disease. Impact of bone marrow transplantation for symptomatic sickle cell disease: an interim
report. Blood 2000;95:1918-1924.
192. Oeffinger KC, Eshelman DA, Tomlinson GE, Buchanan GR, Foster BM: Grading of late effects in
young adult survivors of childhood cancer followed in an ambulatory adult setting. Cancer 2000;
193. Mantadakis E, Buchanan GR: Elective splenectomy in children with idiopathic thrombocytopenic
purpura (ITP). J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2000;22:148-153.
194. Griffin TC, Shuster JJ, Buchanan GR, Murphy SB, Camitta BM, Amylon MD: Slow disappearance
of peripheral blood blasts in an adverse prognostic factor in childhood T cell acute lymphoblastic
leukemia: a Pediatric Oncology Group study. Leukemia 2000;14:792-795.
195. Medeiros D, Buchanan GR: Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: beyond consensus. Curr Opin
196. Abshire TC, Pollock BH, Billett AL, Bradley P, Buchanan GR: Weekly polyethylene glycol (PEG)
conjugated L-Asparaginase produces superior induction remission rates in childhood relapsed acute
lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL): A Pediatric Oncology Group (POG) study. Blood
197. Buchanan GR: ITP: How much treatment is enough? Contemporary Pediatrics 2000;17:112-121.
198. Herrera L, Farah RA, Pellegrini VA, Aquino DB, Sandler ES, Buchanan GR, Vitetta ES : Effect of
immunotoxins against CD19 and CD22 on precursor-B acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells in vitro.
199. Spronk HMH, Farah RA, Buchanan GR, Vermeer C, Soute BAM: A novel mutation in the γ-
glutamyl carboxylase gene resulting in congenital combined deficiency of all vitamin K-dependent
blood coagulation factors. Blood 2000;96:3650-3652.
200. Mustafa MM, Carlson L, Tkaczewski I, McCracken GH Jr., Buchanan GR : Comparative study of
cefepime versus ceftazidime in the empiric treatment of pediatric cancer patients with fever and
neutropenia. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2001;20:362-369.
201. Glaser DW, Medeiros D, Rollins N, Buchanan GR: Catheter-related thrombosis in children with
cancer. J. Pediatr 2001;138:255-259.
202. Buchanan GR for the International Diamond-Blackfan Anemia Study Group : Oral megadose
methylprednisolone therapy for refractory Diamond-Blackfan anemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol
203. Oeffinger KC, Buchanan GR, Eshelman DA, Denke MA, Andrews TC, Germak JA, Tomlinson GE,
Snell LE, Foster BM: Cardiovascular risk factors in young adult survivors of childhood acute
lymphoblastic leukemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2001;23:424-430.
204. Journeycake JM, Quinn CT, Miller K, Zajac J, Buchanan GR : Catheter-related deep venous
thrombosis in children with hemophilia. Blood 2001;98:1727-1731.
205. Gonzalez D, Elizondo BJ, Haslag S, Buchanan GR, Burdick JS, Guzzetta PC, Hicks BA, Andersen
JM: Chronic subcutaneous octreotide decreases gastrointestinal blood loss in blue rubber-Bleb
Nevus Syndrome. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2001;33:183-188.
206. Baorto EP,Aquino VM, Mullen CA, Buchanan GR, DeBaun MR : Clinical parameters associated
with low bacteremia risk in 1100 pediatric oncology patients with fever and neutropenia. Cancer
207. Buchanan, GR: Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in childhood. Pediatr Ann 2001;30:527-533.
208. Buchanan GR, Adix L: Outcome measures and treatment endpoints other than platelet count in
childhood idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Semin Thromb Hemost 2001;27:277-285.
209. Kühne T, Imbach P, Bolton-Maggs PHB, Berchtold W, Blanchette V, Buchanan G: Newly
diagnosed idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in childhood: an observational study. Lancet
210. Walters MC, Patience M, Leisenring W, Rogers ZR, Aquino V, Buchanan GR, Roberts IAG, Yeager
AM, Hsu L, Adamkiewicz T, Kurtzberg J, Vichinsky E, Storer B, Storb R, Sullivan Km for the
Multicenter Investigation of Bone Marrow Transplantation for Sickle Cell Anemia. Stable mixed
hematopoietic chimerism after bone marrow transplantation for sickle cell anemia. Biology of Blood
and Marrow Transplantation 2001;7:665-673.
211. Ogden AK, Pollock BH, Bernstein ML, Camitta B, Buchanan GR : Intermediate dose-methotrexate
and intravenous 6-mercaptopurine chemotherapy for children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia who
did not respond to initial induction therapy. J Pediatr Hemat Onc 2002;24:182-187.
212. Scothorn DJ, Price C, Schwartz D, Terrill C, Buchanan GR, Shurney W, Sarniak I, Fallon R, Chu J-
Y, Pegelow CH, Wang W, Casella JF, Resa LS, Berman B, Adamkiewicz T, Hsu LL, Ohene-
Frempong K, Smith-Whitley K, Mahoney D, Scott JP, Woods GM, Watanabe M, DeBaun MR: Risk
of recurrent stroke in children with sickle cell disease receiving blood transfusion therapy for at least
five years after initial stroke. J Pediatr 2002;140:348-54.
213. Quinn CT, Buchanan GR: Predictors of outcome in sickle cell disease. J Pediatr Hematol Onc
214. Lane PA, Buchanan GR, Desposito F, Pegelow CH, Vichinsky EP, Wethers DL, Woods GM : Health
supervision for children with sickle cell disease. Pediatrics 2002;109:526-535.
215. Huh WW, Gill J, Sheth S, Buchanan GR: Pneumocystis carinii in patients with Diamond-Blackfan
anemia receiving high-dose corticosteroids. J Pediatr Hematol Onc 2002;24:410-412.
216. Di Paola JA, Buchanan GR: Immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Pediatr Clin N Am
217. Lowe EJ, Buchanan GR: Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura diagnosed during the second decade
of life. J Pediatr 2002;141:253-258.
218. Buchanan GR, Adix L: Grading of hemorrhage in children with idiopathic thrombocytopenic
purpura. J Pediatr 2002;141:683-688.
219. Aquino VA, Sandler E, Mustafa MM, Steele JW, Buchanan GR: A prospective double blind
randomized trial of urokinase flushes to prevent bacteremia due to luminal colonization of
subcutaneous central venous catheters. J Pediatr Hematol Onc 2002;24:710-713.
220. Abkowitz JL, Schaison G, Boulad F, Brown DL, Buchanan GR, Johnson CA, Murray JC, Sabo KM :
Response of Diamond-Blackfan anemia to metoclopramide: Evidence for a role for prolactin in
erythropoiesis. Blood 2002;100:2687-2691.
221. Vesely SK, Buchanan GR, Adix L, George JN, Cohen AR, Blanchette VS, Kühne : Self-reported
initial management of childhood idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: Results of a survey of
members of the American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology – 2001. J Pediatr Hematol Onc
222. Journeycake, JM, Buchanan GR: Coagulation disorders. Pediatrics in Review 2003;24:83-91.
223. Bhardwaj U, Dzhang Y-H, Jackson DS, Buchanan GR, Therrell, Jr. BL, McCabe LL, McCabe ERB:
DNA diagnosis confirms hemoglobin deletion in newborn screen follow-up. J Pediatr
224. Journeycake JM, Buchanan GR. Thrombotic complications of central venous catheters in children.
Curr Opin Hematol 2003;10:369-374.
225. Journeycake JM, Miller KL, Anderson AM, Buchanan GR, Finnegan M. Arthroscopic synovectomy
in children and adolescents with hemophilia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2003;25:726-731.
226. Adamkiewicz TV, Sarnaik S, Buchanan GR, Iyer RV, Miller ST, Pegelow CH, Rogers ZR,
Vichinsky E, Elliott J, Facklam RR, O’Brien KL, Schwartz B, Van Beneden CA, Cannon MJ,
Eckman JR, Keyserling H, Sullivan K, Wong WY, Wang WC. Invasive pneumococcal infections in
children with sickle cell disease in the era of penicillin prophylaxis, antibiotic resistance and 23-
valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccination. J Pediatr 2003;143:438-44.
227. Assanasen C, Quinton RA, Buchanan GR. Acute myocardial infarction in sickle cell anemia. J
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2003;25:9778-982.
228. Buchanan GR. Bleeding signs in children with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. J Pediatr
Hematol Oncol 2003;25:42-46.
229. Kühne T, Buchanan GR, Zimmerman S, Michaels LA, Kohan R, Berchtold W, Imbach, P, for the
Intercontinental Childhood ITP Study Group. A prospective comparative study among three age
groups of 203 infants and 2337 children with newly diagnosed idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
(ITP) from the Intercontinental Childhood ITP Study Group. J Pediatr 2003;143:605-608.
230. Buchanan GR, Journeycake JM, Adix L. Severe chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura during
childhood: Definition, management, and prognosis. Semin Thromb Hemost 2003;29:595-603.
231. Bolton-Maggs P, Tarantino MD, Buchanan GR, Bussel JB, George JN. The child with immune
thrombocytopenic purpura: Is pharmacotherapy or watchful waiting the best initial management? A
panel discussion from the 2002 ASPH/O meeting. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2004;26:146-151.
232. Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR: Survival of children with sickle cell disease. Blood
233. Sung L, Nathan PC, Lange B, Beyene J, Buchanan GR. Prophylactic granulocyte colony-stimulating
factor and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor decrease febrile neutropenia after
chemotherapy in children with cancer: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Clin Oncol
234. Ewenstein BM, Valentino LA, Journeycake JM, Tarantino MD, Shapiro AD, Blanchette VS, Hoots
WK, Buchanan GR, Manco-Johnson MJ, Rivard G-E, Miller KL, Geraghty S, Maahs JA, Stuart R,
Dunham T, Navickis RJ. Consensus recommendations for use of central venous access devices in
haemophilia. Haemophilia 2004;10:1-20.
235. Rogers ZR and Buchanan GR. Expanding the role of hydroxyurea in children with sickle cell
disease. J Pediatr 2004;145:287-288.
236. Tarantino MD, Buchanan GR. The pros and cons of drug therapy for immune thrombocytopenic
purpura in children. Hematol Oncol Clin N Am. 2004;18:1301-1314.
237. Buchanan GR. Blood transfusions in children with cancer and hematologic disorders: Why, when,
and how? Pediatr Blood Cancer 2005;44:114-116.
238. Buchanan GR, DeBaun MR, Quinn CT, Steingerg MH. Sickle cell disease. Hematology 2004; :35-47
239. Fu T, Corrigan NJ, Quinn CT, Rogers ZR, Buchanan GR. Minor elective surgical procedures using
general anesthesia in children with sickle cell anemia without pre-operative blood transfusion.
Pediatr Blood Cancer 2005; 45:43-47
240. Imbach P, Kühne T, Müller D, Berchtold W, Zimmerman S, Elalfy M, Buchanan GR. Childhood
ITP: 12 months follow-up data from the prospective registry I of the Intercontinental Childhood ITP
Study Group (ICIS). Pediatr Blood Cancer 2005; In Press.
241. Journeycake JM, Eshelman D, Buchanan GR. Post-thrombotic syndrome is uncommon in childhood
cancer survivors. J Pediatr 2005; In Press.
242. Crary SE, Buchanan GR, Journeycake JM. Fatal Central Venous Catheter-Rated Infection in
Haemophilia. Haemophilia 2005; In Press.
243. Long ZB, Oeffinger KC, Brooks SL, Fischbach L, Harris TR, Eshelman DA, Tomlinson GE,
Buchanan GR. Incidence and clinical relevance of abnormal complete blood counts in long-term
survivors of childhood cancer. Cancer 2006; In Press.
244. Frei-Jones MJ, Buchanan GR, Rogers ZR, Baxter AL. Emergency department pain assessment and
management of vaso-occlusive crisis in older children with sickle cell disease. Pediatrics 2005;
245. Buchanan GR. Thrombocytopenia during childhood: What the pediatrician needs to know. Pediatrics
in Review 2005; 26:395-403
Chapters Published in Books and Non-Peer Reviewed Articles:
1. Glader BE, Buchanan GR: The bleeding neonate. In Care of the Critically Ill Child. 2nd ed. CA
Smith, Ed., W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1977, pp 217-229.
2. Buchanan GR, Moore GC: Disseminated intravascular coagulation. In Levin DL, Morriss F, and
Moore GC., ed. Pediatric Intensive Care, C.V. Mosby Col, St. Louis, 1979, pp 91-95.
3. Buchanan GR, Hogg R: Hemolytic uremic syndrome. In Pediatric Intensive Care, Levin DL,
Morriss F, and Moore GC, eds., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1979, pp 203-205.
4. Buchanan GR: Blood product transfusions in the critically ill child. In Pediatric Intensive Care,
Levin DL, Morriss F, and Moore GC, eds., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1979, pp 433-439.
5. Buchanan GR: The use of blood and blood products: coagulation factors. In Nathan DG and
Oski FA, Hematology in Infancy and Childhood, 2nd ed., W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia,
1981, pp 1536-1551.
6. Buchanan GR: Hematology disorders in fetus and newborn: hemorrhagic diseases. In Nathan
DG and Oski FA, Hematology in Infancy and Childhood, 2nd ed., W.B. Saunders Co.,
Philadelphia, 1981, pp 119-143.
7. Buchanan GR: Vitamin K Deficiency. In Conn HR ed., Current Therapy, 35th ed., W.B.
Saunders, Philadelphia, 1983, pp 457-458.
8. Buchanan GR: The bleeding child. In Dickerman J, Lucey J, eds., The Critically Ill Child, 3rd
ed., W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1984.
9. Buchanan GR: Disseminated intravascular coagulation. In Levin DL, Morriss F, Moore GC,
eds., Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd ed., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1984, pp 135-139.
10. Hogg R, Buchanan GR: Hemolytic uremic syndrome. In Levin DL, Morriss F, Moore GC eds.
Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd ed., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1984, pp 296-299.
11. Buchanan GR: Sickle cell crisis. In Levin DL, Morriss F, Moore GC, eds. Pediatric Intensive
Care, 2nd ed., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1984, pp 293-295.
12. Buchanan GR, Grandy ME: Blood product transfusions. In Levin DL, Morriss F, Moore GC,
eds., Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd ed., C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1984, pp 598-602.
13. Buchanan GR, Smith RG: Detection of early relapse and minimal residual disease in children
with acute lymphoblastic leukemia by enumeration of terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase
positive cells in peripheral blood. In Lowenberg G, Hajenbeek A, eds., Minimal Residual
Disease in Acute Leukemia. Martinus Nijhoff Publisher, Boston, 1984, pp 83-95.
14. Buchanan GR: The use of blood and blood products: coagulation factors. In Nathan DG and
Oski FA, eds., Hematology in Infancy and Childhood, 3rd ed., W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia,
1987, pp 1606-1621.
15. Buchanan GR: Hematology disorders in fetus and newborn: hemorrhagic diseases. In Nathan
DG, Oski FA, eds., Hematology in Infancy and Childhood. 3rd ed., W.B. Saunders,
Philadelphia, 1987, pp 104-127.
16. Buchanan GR: Hematologic supportive care. In Pizzo PA, Poplack DG, Principles and Practice
of Pediatric Oncology. J.B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia, 1989, pp 823-836.
17. Buchanan GR: Sickle cell disease 1992 - A Dallas perspective. Dallas Med J, September 1992.
18. Buchanan GR: Hematologic supportive care of the pediatric cancer patient. In Pizzo PA,
Poplack DG, Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology, 2nd edition. J.B. Lippincott Co.,
Philadelphia, 1993, pp 973-986.
19. Buchanan GR: Approach to treatment of the cancer patient with low risk neutropenia. Hematol/
Oncol Clin N Amer, 7:919-935, 1993.
20. Buchanan GR: Sickle cell disease: Recent advances. Current Problems in Pediatrics, Mosby, St.
Louis, 1993, pp 219-229.
21. Buchanan GR: Hematopoietic diseases. In Oski FA (ed), Principles and Practice of Pediatrics,
2nd edition, J.B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia, 1994, pp 476-486.
22. Buchanan GR: Infection. In Embury SH, Hebbel RP, Mohandas M, Steinberg MH, (eds), Sickle
Cell Disease. Basic Principles and Clinical Practice, Raven Press, 1994, pp 567-587.
23. Buchanan GR (editor): Pediatric Hematology, Pediatric Clinics of North America, June 1996
24. Medeiros D, Buchanan G: Current controversies in the management of idiopathic
thrombocytopenic purpura during childhood. Pediatric Clinics of North America 43:757-772,
25. Medeiros D, Buchanan GR: Disseminated intravascular coagulation and other acquired bleeding
disorders. In Levin DL and Morriss FC eds., Essentials of Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd edition.
Churchill Livingstone Inc., New York 1997 pp 473-482.
26. Aquino VM, Buchanan GR: Methemoglobinemia. In Levin DL and Morriss FC eds., Essentials
of Pediatric Intensive Care, 2nd edition. Churchill Livingstone Inc., New York 1997 pp 488-491.
27. Buchanan GR: Hematologic supportive care of the pediatric cancer patient. In Pizzo PA,
Poplack DG, Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology, 3 rd edition. J.B. Lipppincott Co.,
Philadelphia, 1998, pp 1051-1068.
28. Buchanan GR: Quantitative and qualitative platelet disorders. Clinics in Laboratory Medicine
29. Buchanan GR: Hematopoietic diseases of the fetus and newborn. In McMillan, JA (ed), Oski’s
Principles and Practice of Pediatrics, 3rd edition, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia
1999, pp 358-368.
30. Rogers ZR, Aquino VM, Buchanan GR: Hematologic supportive care and hematopoietic
cytokines. In Pizzo PA, Poplack DG, Principles and Practice of Pediatric Oncology, 4th edition.
Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, 2002, pp 1205-1238.
Listing provided upon request.