This presentation was used within the Saint Joseph School District's New Teacher Orientation for brand new, never have taught, secondary educators.The focus is on preparing for the first days of
This presentation was used within the Saint Joseph School District's New Teacher Orientation for brand new, never have taught, secondary educators.The focus is on preparing for the first days of school.
3. Terri Sallee
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61728987@N00/2580895574/ via CC License
4. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22658750@N02/4189466395/ via CC License
5. http://www.flickr.com/photos/21450297@N06/3684163005/ via CC License
6. http://www.flickr.com/photos/49968232@N00/205577642/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/49968232@N00/4371012869/, & http://www.flickr.com/photos/49968232@N00/2454441793/ via CC Licenses
7. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22394551@N03/2655969483/ via CC License
Begin creating a
plan that ensures
days of school.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38585972@N04/6203641305/ via CC License
37. http://www.flickr.com/photos/photolucida/15226677/ via CC License
38. http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/38075047@N00/147874576/ via CC License
Imagine you are in Health class and received this index
card as a ticket in.
On your card, briefly describe your common illness or
injury and a possible treatment.
39. Fair vs Equal
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66875871@N00/4616231123/ via CC License
40. Round Robin
Thinking about your content
area, brainstorm some ideas
of a Fair vs Equal lesson you
56. 2. Hide Your Disappointment
57. 3. Lose the Battle
58. 4. Follow Through
59. 5. Move on immediately
60. Don't take it personally
61. Build Rapport
62. Handle it Yourself
63. Role Play
64. How to Handle Misbehavior the
First Two Weeks of School
2.Hide your disappointment
3.Lose the battle
5.Move on immediately
6.Don't take it personally
8.Handle it yourself
66. How will I be graded?
67. • Weighted Grades (Tests vs Daily Work)
• Extra Credit
• Total Points for (Semester vs Quarter)
• Is Homework Graded?
• Is Collaborative Work Graded?
• Standard's based grading?
• Late work policy?
• Do you grade effort?
Other Grading Practices to Consider
76. cchttp://www.flickr.com/photos/61629877@N04/8085562437/ via CC License
The Seven Things...
1. Am I in the right room?
2. Where do I sit?
3. Who is this teacher as a person?
4. How will this teacher treat me?
5. What are the rules?
6. How will I be graded?
7. What will I be doing this year?
77. http://www.flickr.com/photos/photolucida/15226677/ via CC License
78. Discipline vs Procedures
79. When Teaching Procedures
Almost Got It...
80. Role Play
81. Parent Communication
3 Things Parents Should Want in a
Back to School Letter
83. When to email?
84. Before you press send, wait...
85. Generic Email Responses
• Thank you for your e-mail. The Saint Joseph School
District does not use email to discuss sensitive and/or
confidential student information. In order to best address
your concerns and quickly answer your questions, please feel
free to call me at (insert school phone number) and I will be
happy to discuss this with you further. Thank you.
• Thank you for your e-mail. I feel this concern is too
sensitive for email. I would prefer to speak in person
regarding this matter. I will call you on (state the date and
time) to discuss this matter further. Thank you.
86. Difficult Parent Phone Call
1. When an incident happens in class, make note
of it immediately.
2. Assess the situation
3.Write down a script of the topic(s) to be
88. Your script should include:
• Something helpful the student has done in
class or for a peer.
• Evidence of a concern
• Assistance requested from parents
• Timeline for improvement
• Something positive observed in the
• Thanking them for their time.
89. Role Play
• 10 Tips to Deal with Difficult Parents Effectively by Barbara and Sue
• How to Handle Misbehavior the First Two Weeks of School by
Michael Linsin: http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/
• Scripting a Parent Phone Call: A Skill all Teachers Need by Lori H.
• SJSD Bode Middle School Student Handbook: http://
• Teachers: Making Difficult Phone Calls to Parents by Marissa, aka
• Windham School District: Email Guidelines for Teacher and Parent
95. Resources Continued
• Effective Teaching by Harry and Rosemary Wong: There is only one
ﬁrst day of school at http://teachers.net/wong/AUG00/
• Rookie Teaching Technique: Choosing a Seating Arrangement by W.
Michael Kelley at http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/
96. Media Thanks
(if not credited on slide)
• “Afraid and Worried by Onur YILDIRIM (Shadov) at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
• “Attack of The Amancay by amanky at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
• “181/365 We are not amused” by barrowboy at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
• “Composing -67/365” by Andreanna Moya Photography at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
• “Jumping Over the 3rd Largest Pyramid in the World” by Anirudh Koul at http://
• “One One Out” by c.a. muller at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
• “Welding Class at Piney Point” by Caption Victor at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
97. Media Thanks
(if not credited on slide)
• “Attention Toilettes” by denseatoms at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
• “Break” by Curtis Gregory Perry at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/33124677@N00/5567458776/
• “eclipse ﬂare december 21 2010” by davedehetre at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/davedehetre/
• “New Years Eve 2011” by Joshua Mellin at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
• “Style: Are these Converse?” by Susan NYC at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
• “How to make caramel from sweetened condensed milk” by Pinot & Dita at http://www.ﬂickr.com/
• Adventures on safari in the desert: [excited whispering] "...we are close enough to witness the lion
king sitting down in the shadow of a large roll of toilet paper to crap and contemplate the meaning
of life." by David Blackwell at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/40966760@N00/4983206174/
98. Media thanks:
(if not credited on slide)
1. Image: 'handshake I' by oooh oooh at www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
2. “Free Hugs by bass_nroll at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
3. “Little” by Ferdinand Reus at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
4. Image: 'Tools' by batega www.ﬂickr.com/photos/
5. Image: 'Angry Math/History teacher' by kodama (home) http://
6. Squirrel Video by agamos1118 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?