• Observation- information gathered using one
or more of the five senses.
•People wearing helmets
•Two people in green and white
•One person in in black
•One person wear stripes
•Persons arms out like a T with a
football in hand
•Persons arms above their head
• Any information collected with the senses.
• Quantitative – measureable or countable
» 3 meters long
» 4 marbles
» 50 kilograms
» 35 degrees Celsius
• Qualitative – describable, not measureable
» red flowers
» smells like fresh baked cookies
» Tastes bitter
• The skill of describing scientific events
• Quantitative observation- an observation
dealing with numbers that can be measured
• Examples: Length, height, area, volume,
weight, speed, time, temperature, humidity,
sound levels, cost, members, ages, etc.
• Qualitative observation- deals with
descriptions that can be observed but not
• Examples- Colors, textures, smells, tastes,
appearance, beauty, etc
Inference- an interpretation of one or more
•The playier in black scored a
•#81 is tackling the player in black
• Conclusions or deductions based on observations.
• The process of drawing a conclusion from given
• I hear people screaming
• I smell cotton candy, popcorn, and hamburgers
• I see a lot of people
Inference = ?