• WHAT IS A HURRICANE?• WHEN DID THE HURRICANE OCCUR?• WHERE DID THE HURRICANE OCCUR?• WHAT DID THE HURRICANE AFFECT?• WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE HURRICANE?• INFORMATION.• WHY IS THE HURRICANE NAMED SANDY?• CONCLUSION.• IMAGES.• WHY DID I CHOOSE THIS TOPIC?
• A hurricane is an intense, rotating oceanic weather system that possesses maximum sustained winds exceeding 119 km/hr (74 mph). It forms and intensifies over tropical oceanic regions.• Hurricanes are generally smaller than storms in mid-latitudes, typically about 500 km (311 miles) in diameter. At the ocean’s surface, the air spirals inward in a counterclockwise direction. This cyclonic circulation becomes weaker with height, eventually turning into clockwise (anticyclonic) outflow near the top of the storm.
• The hurricane started on Monday October 22th and it ended on Tuesday October 30th.• So it lasted eight days.
• Sandy developed from a tropical wave in the western Caribbean Sea on October 22, quickly strengthened and was upgraded to Tropical Storm Sandy six hours later. Sandy moved slowly northward toward the Greater Antilles and gradually intensified.• On October 24, Sandy became a hurricane, made landfall near Kingston, Jamaica, a few hours later, re-emerged into the Caribbean Sea and strengthened into a Category 2 hurricane.• On October 25, Sandy hit Cuba, then weakened to a Category 1 hurricane.• Early on October 26, Sandy moved through the Bahamas.• On October 27, Sandy briefly weakened to a tropical storm and then restrengthened to a Category 1 hurricane.• Early on October 29, Sandy curved north-northwest and then moved ashore near Atlantic Sea, New Jersey as a "post-tropical cyclone". In the United States, Hurricane Sandy affected at least 24 states, from Florida to Maine and west to Michigan and Wisconsin, with particularly severe damage in New Jersey and New York.
• In Jamaica, winds left 70% of residents without electricity, blew roofs off buildings, killed one, and caused about $55.23 million in damage.• In Haiti, Sandys outer bands brought flooding that killed at least 54, caused food shortages, and left about 200,000 homeless.• In the Dominican Republic, two died. In Puerto Rico, one man was swept away by a swollen river.• In Cuba, there was extensive coastal flooding and wind damage inland, destroying some 15,000 homes, killing 11, and causing $2 billion in damage.• In The Bahamas, two died amid an estimated $300 million in damage.• Its storm surge hit New York City on October 29, flooding streets, tunnels and subway lines and cutting power in and around the city
• A week since superstorm Sandy hit the US East Coast and the day before the general election around a million people are still without power. Temperatures have been dropping and tens of thousands of people need to find new homes.
• Nearly a million of people in New York state remain without power after storm Sandy, as frustation grows over the slow plce of recovery. Power returned to large parts of Manhattan on Saturday, but on staten island people were still struggling without electricity and with a huge shortage of fuel. The city´s marathon which was due to take place on Sunday, has been cancelled. At least 106 deaths have been blamed on Sandy in the U.S.A., 40 of them in New York City.
• As it turns out, Sandy was just meant to be literally. Hurricane names are chosen from a giant list selected by the World Meteorological Organization, according to NASA.The Atlantic coast, for example, is assigned six lists of names and one list is used every year. On the sixth year, the first list begins again, so any names chosen in 2012 can be used again in 2018.• Each list of names is also organized in alphabetical order. The first hurricane of the season usually starts with the letter A and so on. The letters Q, U, X, Y, and Z are never used except Hurricane Uma and Zach. But, when destructive hurricanes hit like Katrina did in 2005, these names are never used again.
• Hurricane Sandy was a very strong hurricane that have hit from the centre of America to the north(USA).• It lasted from October 22nd to October 30th.• It left many deaths.
Choose this topic because I thaught it wasvery interesting because in Spain it neveroccurs any hurricane like this one.