● Geothermal energy is thermal energy generated and stored in the Earth. Thermal energy is the energy that determines the temperature of matter.
● The Geothermal energy of the Earths crust originates from the original formation of the planet (20%) and ROM radioactive decay of minerals (80%)
● The Earths geothermal resources are theoretically that adequate to supply humanitys energy needs, but may a small part be profitably exploited. Drilling and exploration for deep resources is very expensive.
● Geothermal energy can be used as an efficient heat source in small end-use applications such as greenhouses, but the consumers have to be located close to the source of heat.
● Geothermal energy - heat from the earth (in most cases mineral water)- is an important energy source having environmental and economic advantages over fossil and nuclear energy sources.
● Three different types of power plants - dry steam, flash, and binary - are used to generate electricity from geothermal energy, depending on temperature, depth, and quality of the water and steam in the area.
Dry Steam Power Plants● A dry steam power plant uses dry steam, typically above 235°C (455°F), to directly power its turbines.
● Dry steam is steam that contains no water droplets. All of the molecules are in a gaseous, as opposed to liquid, state.
Flash steam● Flash steam power plants use hot water above 182 °C (360 °F) from geothermal reservoirs. The high pressure underground keeps the water in the liquid state, although it is well above the boiling point of water at normal sea level atmospheric pressure.
Binary-cycle● The water used in binary-cycle power plants is cooler than that of flash steam plants, from 107 to 182 °C (225-360 °F). The hot fluid from geothermal reservoirs is passed through a heat exchanger which transfers heat to a separate pipe containing fluids with a much lower boiling point.
ADVANTAGE● Geothermal energy offers a number of advantages over traditional fossil fuel based sources.
● From an environmental standpoint, the energy harnessed is clean and safe for the environment.
● It is also sustainable because the hot water used in the geothermal process can be re- injected into the ground to produce more steam.
Geothermal energy questionsGeothermal energy can also be used togenerate electricity TrueDrilling deep wells is very cheap FalseMagma heats underground water to theboillin point TrueThere are a lot of places where magmacomes close to Earths surface FalseGehotermal does have dinodrantages TrueIn some places, magma isnt very close tothe surface False
Electricity in the most widely used fromenergy TrueThere arent twelve different un big powerstation FalseThe non-rewables are the three fossil fuelsand nuclear TrueBurning coal and oil relones dioxed wichdont causes acid rain FalsePetroleum is a renewable sorces of energy FalseThe renewables are: wind, waves, tides,hidroelectric, solar, gethermal, biomass True