1. 12 HOURS OF SQL 2012Manageability EnhancementsPieter Vanhove
2. WHO AM I• Pieter Vanhove• SQL Server Database Consultant at Kohera• MCTS, MCITP Database Administrator 2008• Love to work with SQL HA/DR solutions• E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org• Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/Pieter_Vanhove• Blog: http://blogs.sqlug.be/pieter/• MEET: http://technet.microsoft.com/nl-be/hh442430#pietervanhove
3. AGENDA• New features in SQL Server (Management Studio)• Breakpoints• Intellisence• New Restore options• (Contained Databases)• (New DMV’s)
4. NEW FEATURES IN SQL SERVER MANAGEMENT STUDIO• New server Properties• Changes in the Object Explorer• New features on Database tasks • Deploy Database to SQL Azure• Zoom option in Query Window• Outlining• Microsoft Help Viewer
5. NEW FEATURES IN SQL SERVER (MANAGEMENT STUDIO)• You can store files and documents in special tables but access them from Windows applications as if they were stored in the file system, without making any changes to your client applications. • The FileTable feature builds on top of SQL Server FILESTREAM technology
6. NEW FEATURES IN SQL SERVER (MANAGEMENT STUDIO)• Sequences • Object that generates a sequence of numeric values according to the specification with which the sequence was created. • Ascending or descending order at a defined interval and may cycle (repeat) as requested. – Not associated with tables. An application refers to a sequence object to receive its next value. – The relationship between sequences and tables is controlled by the application.
7. NEW FEATURES IN SQL SERVER (MANAGEMENT STUDIO) • Extended Events Allows users to collect as much or as little information as is necessary to troubleshoot or identify a performance problem.
8. TRANSACT-SQL DEBUGGER• Transact-SQL breakpoints now support: • Breakpoint condition • Breakpoint hit count • Breakpoint filter • Breakpoint action
10. RESTORE ENHANCEMENTS • Point-in-time restore improved by a visual timeline • Page Restore
11. CONTAINED DATABASES• Moving databases is simplified by introducing contained databases.• Users in a contained database are no longer associated with logins• Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Release Candidate 0 (RC 0) introduces partially contained databases (also known as Partial-CDB).• Partially Contained Databases provide some isolation from the instance of SQL Server but do not yet provide full containment.
12. PARTIALLY CONTAINED DATABASE TERMS• Non-contained database • A database with containment set to NONE• Fully contained database • A fully contained database does not allow any objects that cross the application boundary• Partially contained database • Is a contained database that allows features that cross the application boundary. SQL Serer is able to determine when the containment boundary is crossed
13. PARTIALLY CONTAINED DATABASE• Users with passwords are authenticated by the database• User information is stored in user database and not in master database.• Very Secure - user can only perform DDL operations inside the database.
14. BENEFITS OF PARTIALLY CONTAINED DATABASES• Main advantages • Simplify DB deployment for applications • Increase manageability of DB access • Eg.: Feature is used in AlwaysOn
15. NEW DMV’S• sys.dm_exec_query_stats• sys.dm_os_volume_stats• sys.dm_os_windows_info• sys.dm_server_memory_dumps• sys.dm_server_services• sys.dm_server_registry
17. © 2011 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Microsoft, Windows, Windows Vista and other product names are or may be registered trademarks and/or trademarks in the U.S. and/or other countries.The information herein is for informational purposes only and represents the current view of Microsoft Corporation as of the date of this presentation. Because Microsoft must respond to changing market conditions, it should not be interpreted to be a commitment on the part of Microsoft, and Microsoft cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information provided after the date of this presentation. MICROSOFT MAKES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, AS TO THE INFORMATION IN THIS PRESENTATION.