Discover Great Reasons to move to ConfigMgr 2012 SP1
Empower Users Unify Infrastructure Simplify Administration Empower people to be Reduce costs by unifying Improve IT effectiveness more productive from IT management and efficiency.anywhere on any device. infrastructure.
Empower Users Unify Infrastructure Simplify Administration Windows 8 devices Windows 8 deployment Windows 8 apps Windows Embedded and WTG Empower people to be Reduce costs by unifying Improve IT effectiveness more productive from IT management Heterogeneous devices and efficiency.anywhere on any device. infrastructure.
DO YOU HAVE DO YOU HAVE ConfigMgr DO YOU REQUIRE USER USE ConfigMgr AND MDT YES NO YES ConfigMgr? 2007? INPUT? WITH UDI NO YES NOUSE LITE TOUCH - LTI USE LITE TOUCH - LTI USE ZERO TOUCH - ZTI (MDT) (MDT) (SCCM & MDT)
Feature iOS Windows RT Windows Android Phone 8Inventory Y Y Y YSettings Y Y Y YManagementSoftware Y Y Y YDistributionRemote Wipe Y y Y y
• Hardware properties for mobile devices are collected through the Device Management Authority as well as Exchange ActiveSync (for Android) • No software inventory for mobile devices to respect the Information Worker’s privacy on their own deviceWipe option depends on the platform and management type (EAS or native) • Complete wipe and reset to factory defaults – iOS and WP8 • EAS mailbox removal only - Android • Only EAS mailbox removal if managed through EAS - Windows RT or Pro (x86) • No wipe - Windows 7 and below (no change from wave C)
Distribute applications to new platforms • Support for Windows 8 , Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 • iOS devices managed through iOS MDM and can install LOB, Apple app store or web apps • Android and WP7 devices are still managed by EAS, but can install LOB, Google play or web apps
Download from Windows Store Side Load from Your Infrastructure Management Infrastructure Cloud Windows RT Custom LOB Apps Public Apps App Delivery Windows 8
• Is side-loading enabled? Make sure registry is enabled to allow trusted application installation HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindowsAppxAllowAllTrustedApps = 1 Right SKU, domain joined, or is it “activated”?• Make sure code signing root certificate is installed on client “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” store• Manually install signed application add-appxpackage fileserverContoso_Expense.appx [-DependencyPath <string>]• Application management client side log files
• AllowAllTrustedApps = 1• To enable sideloading on a Windows 8 Enterprise device that is not domain-joined, you must use a sideloading product activation key
Block (default) Limit Allow• Treat a metered network as • Allow policy polling • A metered network is disconnected • Uploads client state treated as if it were a non- • User initiated installations metered network permitted (with warning) • Still blocked while roaming • Deadline content downloads if deployment was set to allow
Contractors Admin can push deploy WTG to a Bring Your Own Device removable device Travel Light End User can pull provision WTG Shared PCs Updated and managed same as a physical Build a WTG image using Configuration laptop/desktop Manager Admin can determine if device is WTG or not
Natively extend to better support write filters Embedded specific DCM extensions OSD optimized for embedded devices In short, WEDM 2012 is no more
Unify Infrastructure Reduced Infrastructure Requirements Flexible hierarchy management Content distribution changes Endpoint Protection enhancementsReduce costs by unifying Real-time administrative actions IT management infrastructure.
Central Administration Site Must be a new installationPrimary Site Primary Site Current Corp Primary Site New Corp Primary Site 10,000 Clients 5,000 Clients
Central Administration SitePrimary Site Primary Site Primary Site Current Corp Primary Site 10,000 Clients New Server New Corp Primary Site 5,000 Clientshttp://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/video/configuration-manager-2012-plan-deploy-and-migrate-from-configuration-manager-2007.aspx
• Provision from the admin console Windows Azure• Most capabilities as on-prem. Except: • OSD and task sequences Content • Custom updates • App-V streaming• Full BranchCache support Policy• In console content monitoring• Ability to monitor storage and traffic out usage MP• Content is fully encrypted FIREWALLhttp://blog.coretech.dk/kea/configmgr-cloud-distribution-points/ PR1 MP DP
• The communication channel is push-based instead of dependent on the client policy polling interval. By using client notification, clients can establish a persistent connection with a management point.• In SP1, all System Center Endpoint Protection operations and the “Download Computer Policy” client action are implemented by using this channel.• If the connection is dropped (e.g. because of a network issue), notification agent will attempt to reconnect.http://blogs.technet.com/b/configmgrteam/archive/2012/09/27/fast-channel-for-system-management.aspx
Simplify End user client UI improvements Administration App-V 5.0 PowerShell Alerts Cross Platform SupportImprove IT effectiveness and efficiency.
• All configuration management from ConfigMgr console and workflows• Focus on Linux and UNIX server configuration management scenarios• Manage company owned Macs and allow for personal Macs• Stay current - support most recent and relevant platforms• Prioritize machine centric scenarios• Do not require domain join for management
Mac Client Linux Server UNIX Server OS X Red Hat SUSE AIX HP-UX SolarisConfiguration Manager2012 SP1 Endpoint Protection2012 No Plans
Features :• Discovery – Find Mac’s in Active Directory and the Network• Hardware Inventory – Inventory and audit Mac OS X machines• Software Inventory – Determine list of installed software• Settings Mgmt - Ensure Mac OS X machines comply with company policies• Application Deployment- required/push software distribution via app model• Software Updates Mgmt – via Software Distribution and Settings mgmt.Out of scope:• Self Service Software Portal – Ability for user to select what software to install• Operating System Deployment• Remote Control -> achieved through Lync (desktop sharing), or other 3rd party solutions
AIX HP-UX SUSE Linux Enterprise ServerVersion 5.3 (Power) Version 11iv2Version 6.1 (Power) (PA-RISC/IA64)Version 7.1 (Power) Version 11iv3 Version 9 (x86) (PA-RISC/IA64) Version 10 SP1 (x86/x64) Solaris Red Hat Enterprise Linux Version 11 (x86/x64) Version 9 (SPARC) Version 10 (SPARC/x86) Version 4 (x86/x64) Version 11 (SPARC/x86) Version 5 (x86/x64) Version 6 (x86/x64)
• Newer versions of OS will be supported within 180 days of release• Old versions supported as long as vendor provides support• Broader Linux support being evaluated for future releases• Hardware Inventory• Software Deployment • Using the Package and Program model • Deploy/patch software, deploy OS patches and run maintenance scripts that target a collection• No Settings Management (yet)• Consolidated reports