Before moving on, pupils must be aware of the basic ICT room proceduresStress that pupils must wait for a staff member and that no games are allowed to be playedExplain about Impero and how all workstations are monitored.
Should be self explanatory; go through each item and ask pupils to explain why they are important.
Title slide for new section
Make sure all pupils have a username and password.Ask all pupils to logon, then to try to solve any issues. Would be a good idea to have technician present.
Pupils need to take notes in ICT and this should be done using OneNote. Ideally you can prepare templates before hand for the pupils to complete as this will save a lot of time during lessons, especially for those requiring Learning support.Take time to show the pupils how to use OneNote. It is important that they are happy with this before moving on.
Ask the class these questions and also get the pupils to put the answers in their OneNote filesMS Word (what is it used for?) – word processingMS Excel (what is it used for?) - spreadsheetsMS PowerPoint (what is it used for?) - PresentationsMS Publisher (what is it used for?) – Desk Top PublishingMS OneNote (what is it used for?) – Note taking
Explain the importance of good organisation, especially as many of the pupils will be doing lots of different subjects and will be at the school for another 7 years.Folders – so that it is easy to find the work that is done during Year 7 and that individually subjects can be found quickly.Get the pupils to add notes to their one note file
Explain the importance of sensible filenamesFilename – name given to a file! Must be sensible so that it is obvious what the file contains. Especially important as the year progresses as they will have lots of files.Version management – adding a number to the end of the filename to tell which version of the file it is (i.e.,. After improvements) – allows for the pupil to get back to an earlier version of a file if something goes wrong with the most recent fileGet the pupils to add notes to their one note file
Get the pupils to add notes to their one note fileDocx - WordXlsx - ExcelPptx - PowerPointPub - PublisherJpg – Image fileMpeg - video fileOne – One note file
Title slide for new section
Make sure that pupils have noted their email addressMake sure that they are all familiar with accessing their email.Ask pupils to use the snipping tool to add screen shots to their OneNote files
Explain how to logon to the email.Important that they include the domain along with the back slash
Go through the main parts of the email screenInbox Sent itemsTodayMessage bodySearchPupils should make notes if appropriate
Allow the “better” pupils to explore the email screen and work out the answers themselves.Assist the less ableMake sure that notes are taken in OneNote if appropriate.
To – the recipeinet of the emailCc: Carbon Copy – who a copy of the email is sent to (both To and Cc are aware of each other)Bcc: Blind carbon copy – who a copy is sent to but To and Cc are unaware of thisGet the pupils to add notes to their one note file
Transcript of "Year 7 - Week 1 network and email"
ICT ROOM RULES
Some simple pointers to help you
CSL COMPUTER ROOM RULES
• Only enter a computer room when a staff member is
• No games to be played
• No food or drink allowed
• Please leave the room tidy
• Tuck your chair under when finished
• Inform your teacher if anything is broken
• Put your name and date in the header
• Put the page number in the footer
USING THE SCHOOL
Finding your way around
•To log on to the school network you will
•Username (usually your surname and
initials (e.g. pattersonnj)
•Password (your teacher will give you this
and then you will be asked to change it.
• All notes in ICT lessons will be taken using OneNote
• Pay careful attention!
• Follow instructions carefully
• The main software is Microsoft Office
• Go to Start > All Programs
• Can you find
• MS Word (what is it used for?)
• MS Excel (what is it used for?)
• MS PowerPoint (what is it used for?)
• MS Publisher (what is it used for?)
• MS OneNote (what is it used for?)
• What is a folder?
• Go to My Computer and create a new folder called Y7
• Inside the Y7 folder, create another new folder for each
subject that you do
• Why have you been asked to create these folders?
• Why is it important that you use these folders?
FILENAMES AND VERSION
• What is a filename?
• Why is it important that you save files with sensible
• What is version management?
• Why do you think it is sensible to number the different
versions of a file?
• What is a file extension?
• What applications use the following extensions?
CAN YOU …..
• Work out how to do the following with your email
• Send an email to someone else in the class
• Reply to an email
• Forward an email
• Delete an email
• Check your sent items
• Check your deleted items
• Create a new folder in your inbox
NOW TRY TO …..
•Send an email with an attachment
•Send an email to work out the
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.