Tools for Teachers
By Tina Cone
EDLD 5362 Section ET8009
“An abbreviation for the “Digest of Internet
Information, Groups and Other stuff,” Diigo
is a social annotation service that lets users
add highlights and notes in situ to any web
page. … Diigo combines aspects of social
bookmarking, full-text search, annotations,
tagging, and sharing.” (Crunchbase, 2010)
• Diigo allows you to bookmark sites you find
useful and add comments for other users.
• Diigo provides a toolbar at the top of the site
allowing you to Share, Like or Unlike, Save, or
Bury a site.
• To use the advanced features of Diigo, you will
need to download the free toolbar.
• Diigo led me to a site on Digital Citizenship
• This site provides lesson plans on Ethical
Internet Practices which we discuss in my
Multimedia and Desktop Publishing classes.
• Diigo provides information using keywords
and screens the content submitted by users.
• CNET gave Diigo 3 ½ stars which is considered very
• “Diigo is an online bookmarking tool with a twist.
Sometimes, merely saving a bunch of tagged Web
sites to a list of favorites is not enough. Ever wanted
to highlight one cool corner of a Web page? Do you
wish you could scribble on various Web sites to
collect recipes, plan a vacation, or write a big
research paper, then share your notes? Diigo can
help you do that.“ (CNET Review, 2010)
“The Web is teeming with social-
networking sites that emphasize
the "social," but what if you're a
business-minded individual more
interested in the networking end?
Where do you go? The answer:
LinkedIn.” (PC Magazine, 2007)
• LinkedIn features a different type of searching.
Networking and creating contacts is the key to
• Teachers are more effective when they can
share their curriculum and link to other
teachers instead of having to create every
• Users create profiles which allows them to add
contacts and share resources.
• Users can view and add subscribers to their
network. The profile provides a way to easily
connect with your connections.
• Teachers who are members of LinkedIn do not
have to create profiles for many of the sites
associated with LinkedIn. There is a Join
button that pulls information from your
• The top menu bar provides you easy access to
• LinkedIn has a group for Response to Intervention
and Universal Design for Learning.
• Providing the best classroom instruction for all
students is often a challenge. This group would help
offer suggestions or solutions for any challenges I
• AppAppeal gave LinkedIn 5 stars, its
• “If you're looking for professional
contacts and don't want to dive into
the deep end by using a business
directory or don't feel like browsing
thousands of ads, Linkedin can help
you find a suitable professional
within your social and business
sphere.” (AppAppeal, 2009)
• Diigo Company Profile. (2009, September 30). Retrieved
January 23, 2010, from CrunchBase website:
• Janowski, Davis. (2007, April 23). Site of the Week: Linked In.
Retrieved January 23, 2010, from PCMag.com website:
• LinkedIn Review. (2009, April). Retrieved January 22, 2010,
from AppAppeal website:
• Wenzel, Elsa. (2006, May 1). Diigo Review. Retrieved January
22, 2010, from CNET Reviews website: