4. Planning: results Define your core message What is your engagement style? Informative Instructional Entertaining Combination of all three? Editorial Calendar Keyword Analysis
5. Planning: results - core message Our company’s business objectives are… We differentiate ourselves by… We hope to solve… People know us for… Your donations help… Volunteering with us serves… … don’t stray from the core message!
8. Planning: results – keyword analysis Brainstorming • Any ideas around your cause and how to search for it Google Analytics • Look at how your site is being searched currently Keyword Tools • http://www.googlekeywordtool.com/
9. Planning: audience Who is your audience How to find them Philanthropists/ Surveys Advocates Volunteers Focus groups Contributors Daily interaction (current/ (In person/ potential) On the web) Remember: You are not your target audience, in most cases. What does your market want to hear vs. what you want to say.
10. Planning: audience – how to reach them Tips for Content Strategy: SEO RSS Website Social shares What kind of content? blog When? Newsletters Email Micro-Blog Marketing Why? For whom? Content Twitter Where? How often? Podcasts Video/Audio Social Facebook Networking About what? YouTube LinkedIn Will Vimeo shared? Photo it be Pinterest#ROWDFW Instagram Flickr
11. Planning: topics This is how what we do Here’s the story of what we affects you do Topics Cycle Here are the results of your Send money giving Volunteer Help us
12. Planning: topics Listen Get involved Inspiring stories of how you helped Volunteer stories Clear definable goals More conversations, less announcements Unobtrusive calls to action Short deadline for sense of urgency
13. Create: author and optimize“ On average, 8 out of 10 people will read headline copy, but only 2 out of 10 will read the ” rest. This is the secret to the power of your search title, and why it so highly determines the effectiveness of the entire piece. engines Brian Clark Copyblogger.com
14. Create: author and optimize Write a good headlines so they’ll keep reading Use your keyword analysis results to target niche phrases Announce news State a benefit Pose a question Honest testimonial Tell a good story with imagery and emotion Integrate multi-media Be honest and respectful Call to action (include incentives)
15. Remember this? Tips for Content Strategy: SEO RSS Website Social shares What kind of content? blog When? Newsletters Email Micro-Blog Marketing Why? For whom? Content Twitter Where? How often? Podcasts Video/Audio Social Facebook Networking About what? YouTube LinkedIn Will Vimeo shared? Photo it be Pinterest#ROWDFW Instagram Flickr
16. Create: publish… promote Blog post RSS feed Tweets Facebook YouTube Newsletter Pinterest Video/photo
17. Why engagement content & social media work“ Produce great stuff and people will come to you, produce really great stuff and your ” customers (advocates) will share and disseminate your message for you. search engines Ann Handley & CC Chapman Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blogs, Podcasts, Videos, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business