© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
© Elena Panaritis
2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008
elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.c...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Elena panaritis

120

Published on

TBLI CONFERENCE™ is the prime annual global networking and learning event on Environment, Social, Governance (ESG) and Impact Investing.

TBLI CONFERENCE USA New York 2013
Monday and Tuesday, June 17-18, 2013

Speakers:
Paul Rose
Vice President of the Royal Geographical Society
Richard L. Kauffman
Chairman for Energy Policy and Finance for the State of New York - Governor of New York's Office and Cabinet - United States of America
Martin Rapaport is chairman of the Rapaport Group and founder of the Rapaport Diamond Report

Published in: Economy & Finance, Travel, Sports
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
120
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Institutional economist and social entrepreneur Transforming illiquid to liquid property assets : improving social, economic, environmental welfare through strengthening middle class Applied my methodology in several countries – Pioneered it in Peru : t= 3yrs Q= 7million new market players Return of x200
  • Institutional economist and social entrepreneur Transforming illiquid to liquid property assets : improving social, economic, environmental welfare through strengthening middle class Applied my methodology in several countries – Pioneered it in Peru : t= 3yrs Q= 7million new market players Return of x200
  • Wealth that exists but is locked-up in illiquid property: Non-secured property ownership High financial risk levels Uncertain valuation Speculative financial behavior Rights need to be Reliable; Recorded; Enforced
  • Understand the asset – the role and importance of institutions (property rights) Diagnose with Reality Check Analysis Align the interests of all key policy and market players Building Partnerships and Trust (Citizens – Government – the Private sector) Private Sector - "Doing well by doing good"
  • Margarita: seamstress worth~80$ a month in 1990 now worth ~Thousands Started with Hyperinflation –Lawlessness – and over 70% unreal estate Staggering break-through results (see chart on the next page) t= 3yrs; Q= 7million new market players Security >94% Values >42% Investment >72% Probability of child labor reduced >28% Women’s involvement >48% Labor mobility >17% Cottage industry reduced >47%
  • Peru 1995-2002 (national application program of the original methodology used by Panaritis) Rapid increase in secure liquid property ownership Over 6 million beneficiaries Investment Returns over 200x (approx.) based on value increase
  • Staggering break-through results t= 3yrs; Q= 7million new market players Security >94% Values >42% Investment >72% Probability of child labor reduced >28% Women’s involvement >48% Labor mobility >17% Cottage industry reduced >47%
  • US Deborah who mobilized the transformation of unreal to real estate in her own neighborhood. Good place to start PPPs Identify the level of reform appetite Identify players Identify non-reformers Build alliances with government agencies Apply the reform
  • Elena panaritis

    1. 1. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com A powerful global model of impact investing that started in Latin America  “A pioneering method of prosperity that transforms informal property; and it works…” Elena Panaritis TBLI NY June17-18 2013
    2. 2. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com Who and What  Institutional economist and social entrepreneur The job of a SE is to recognize when a part of society is stuck and provide new ways to get it unstuck  Invents new sustainable solutions to change the system  Spreads the solution  Persuades entire societies to take new leaps!!!
    3. 3. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com Who and What  Transforming illiquid (informal) to liquid property  Pioneered it in Peru  Applied methodology with Panel Group  Authored Prosperity Unbound: Building Property Markets with Trust  Founded Thought 4 Action
    4. 4. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com The World in Perspective  The world in informal property US $9 trillion of illiquidUS $9 trillion of illiquid propertyproperty Over 4 billion peopleOver 4 billion people affectedaffected
    5. 5. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com Distressed Markets & Property Rights  Distressed Markets: a result of Wealth disparity not Income disparity  Broken Property Rights System is what leads to Illiquid assets or “Unreal” Estate
    6. 6. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com Impacts of a Illiquid/Informal property broken property rights system  ECONOMIC distortions  slow GROWTH ▪ limited labor mobility  fragile underline ASSET ▪ distorted property valuations (UP & DOWN), markets ▪ illiquidity of savings and investments ▪ weak capital markets ▪ limited/ investment in infrastructure; ▪ e.g. telecom / utilities / energy / building improvement …  and more ….
    7. 7. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com Impacts of a broken property rights system  SOCIAL distortions  Enduring INEQUALITY–POVERTY–SOCIAL DISORDER ▪ growing violence – corruption – criminality serious social discontent – weak political participation ▪ child labor increase ▪ weak middle class ▪ reduction of women’s (minority’s) participation in the wealth pool and political voice  ENVIRONMENTAL distortions ▪ Land quality degradation ▪ Ineffective waste management ▪ Increased carbon footprint
    8. 8. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com Business Proposition - Solution: How do we Transformation & Make Money  Understand the asset’s characteristics  Untangle the assets (with Reality Check Analysis)  Align the interests of all key policy and market players – build partnerships
    9. 9. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com Align Interests  Establish Trust through partnerships  Align the interests of key policy and market players: Private Capital GovernmentCitizens Trust
    10. 10. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com Success Stories: Margarita in Peru  Margarita: seamstress worth ~ $80/month in 1990 today she is worth ~Thousands Peru 1990: Hyperinflation, lawlessness, joblessness … and over 70% unreal estate  Staggering break-through results …  $60M investment gave a 200-multiple return  12 agencies turned into 2  $7,000 to $14  7 years to 2 days  No more intermediaries
    11. 11. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com
    12. 12. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com
    13. 13. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com
    14. 14. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com
    15. 15. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com
    16. 16. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com
    17. 17. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com
    18. 18. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com
    19. 19. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com Success Stories: Peru Continued  Rapid increase in secure liquid property ownership ▪ With over 6 million beneficiaries - 2,000,000 4,000,000 6,000,000 8,000,000 10,000,000 12,000,000 1992 1995 2001 2002 Years People New formal owners “the big jump”
    20. 20. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com Peru: Positive socio-economic impacts of secure property rights issued by the program Reduced levels of.. Increased levels of.. Security Property value Investment Probability of child labor Women’s involvement Labor mobility Cottage industry -60% -40% -20% 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% 120% PercentChange Factors affected by securing propertyrights
    21. 21. © Elena Panaritis 2330 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington DC, 20008 elena@panelgroup.com; epanaritis@propserityunbound.com www.prosperityunbound.com/blog www.thought4action.org Facebook: ProsperityUnbound group Twitter: ProsperityUnbound Elena Panaritis Founder Panel Group LLL Thought 4 Action elena@panelgroup.com epanaritis@prosperityunbound.com

    ×