Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
0
The Role of Property Rights in Green Investments on Real Property and Land Elena Panaritis TBLI CONFERENCE EUROPE 2011 10-...
Who and What  <ul><li>Institutional economist and social entrepreneur </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Transforming  illiquid / infor...
The World in Perspective <ul><li>The world in illiquid / informal property </li></ul>US $9 trillion of  informal /illiquid...
Distressed Markets & Property Rights <ul><li>Illiquid Real Estate is an outcome of a </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Broken Property...
Broken property rights system <ul><li>The extremes </li></ul>Fully Informal:  Inaccessible Formal: No Risk Semi Informal: ...
Environmental Impacts  …because of a broken property rights system <ul><li>Environmental distortions </li></ul><ul><ul><li...
Economic Impacts  …because of a broken property rights system <ul><li>Economic distortions </li></ul><ul><ul><li>FRAGILE U...
Impacts of a broken property rights system <ul><li>Social distortions </li></ul><ul><ul><li>ENDURING INEQUALITY – POVERTY ...
Solution: Transformation to tap on the socio-economic aspects <ul><li>Successful Transformation requires  Vision, Rigor, T...
Reality Check Analysis  <ul><li>Identify & Isolate the problem </li></ul><ul><li>Check institutions’ evolution throughout ...
Align Interests KEY:  TRUST <ul><li>Establish  Trust  through partnerships  </li></ul><ul><li>Align the interests  of key ...
Success Stories: Margarita in Peru  <ul><li>Margarita: seamstress worth ~ $80/month in 1990 </li></ul><ul><li>today she is...
Success Stories: Peru Continued <ul><li>Rapid increase in secure liquid property ownership  </li></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>With...
Peru: Positive socio-economic impacts of secure property rights issued by the program Reduced  levels of.. Increased  leve...
Success Stories: Deborah in the US  <ul><li>Deborah in Washington DC:  </li></ul><ul><li>was worth a welfare check…. </li>...
How can we keep on having success stories  <ul><li>Build  Triple Bottom Line  businesses  </li></ul><ul><li>Partner with p...
<ul><li>www.prosperityunbound.com/blog </li></ul><ul><li>Facebook:  Fans of Prosperity Unbound (group) </li></ul><ul><li>P...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Elena panaritis

17

Published on

TBLICONFERENCE Europe 2011

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
17
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Institutional economist and social entrepreneur Transforming illiquid to liquid property assets : improving social, economic, environmental welfare through strengthening middle class Applied my methodology in several countries – Pioneered it in Peru : t= 3yrs Q= 7million new market players Return of x200
  • Wealth that exists but is locked-up in illiquid property: Non-secured property ownership High financial risk levels Uncertain valuation Speculative financial behavior Rights need to be Reliable; Recorded; Enforced
  • Understand the asset – the role and importance of institutions (property rights) Diagnose with Reality Check Analysis Align the interests of all key policy and market players Building Partnerships and Trust (Citizens – Government – the Private sector) Private Sector - &amp;quot;Doing well by doing good&amp;quot;
  • Margarita: seamstress worth~80$ a month in 1990 now worth ~Thousands Started with Hyperinflation –Lawlessness – and over 70% unreal estate Staggering break-through results (see chart on the next page) t= 3yrs; Q= 7million new market players Security &gt;94% Values &gt;42% Investment &gt;72% Probability of child labor reduced &gt;28% Women’s involvement &gt;48% Labor mobility &gt;17% Cottage industry reduced &gt;47%
  • Peru 1995-2002 (national application program of the original methodology used by Panaritis) Rapid increase in secure liquid property ownership Over 6 million beneficiaries Investment Returns over 200x (approx.) based on value increase
  • Staggering break-through results t= 3yrs; Q= 7million new market players Security &gt;94% Values &gt;42% Investment &gt;72% Probability of child labor reduced &gt;28% Women’s involvement &gt;48% Labor mobility &gt;17% Cottage industry reduced &gt;47%
  • US Deborah who mobilized the transformation of unreal to real estate in her own neighborhood. Good place to start PPPs Identify the level of reform appetite Identify players Identify non-reformers Build alliances with government agencies Apply the reform
  • Transcript of "Elena panaritis"

    1. 1. The Role of Property Rights in Green Investments on Real Property and Land Elena Panaritis TBLI CONFERENCE EUROPE 2011 10-11 November 2011 – Grange St. Paul’s Hotel London, United Kingdom
    2. 2. Who and What <ul><li>Institutional economist and social entrepreneur </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Transforming illiquid / informal / unreal to liquid property </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Pioneered it in Peru </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Applied methodology with </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Panel Group LLC </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>PG Thought for Action </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Authored Prosperity Unbound: Building Property Markets with Trust </li></ul></ul>
    3. 3. The World in Perspective <ul><li>The world in illiquid / informal property </li></ul>US $9 trillion of informal /illiquid property Over 4 billion people affected
    4. 4. Distressed Markets & Property Rights <ul><li>Illiquid Real Estate is an outcome of a </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Broken Property Rights System </li></ul></ul>
    5. 5. Broken property rights system <ul><li>The extremes </li></ul>Fully Informal: Inaccessible Formal: No Risk Semi Informal: High risk
    6. 6. Environmental Impacts …because of a broken property rights system <ul><li>Environmental distortions </li></ul><ul><ul><li>SYSTEMATIC EROSION OF CITIES AND RURAL AREAS </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Urban sprawl </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Land quality degradation </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Ineffective waste management </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>Increased carbon footprint </li></ul></ul></ul>
    7. 7. Economic Impacts …because of a broken property rights system <ul><li>Economic distortions </li></ul><ul><ul><li>FRAGILE UNDERLYING ASSET </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>distorted valuations UP and DOWN </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>distressed property markets </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>illiquidity of savings </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>limited labor mobility </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>weak capital markets </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>limited/ investment in infrastructure; </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><li>e.g. telecom / utilities / energy / building improvement ... </li></ul></ul></ul></ul>
    8. 8. Impacts of a broken property rights system <ul><li>Social distortions </li></ul><ul><ul><li>ENDURING INEQUALITY – POVERTY – SOCIAL DISORDER </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>growing violence – corruption – criminality </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>child labor increase </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>weak middle class </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>reduction of women’s (minority’s) participation in the wealth pool and political voice </li></ul></ul></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>serious social discontent – weak political participation </li></ul></ul></ul>
    9. 9. Solution: Transformation to tap on the socio-economic aspects <ul><li>Successful Transformation requires Vision, Rigor, Trust </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Understand the asset </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Diagnose with Reality Check Analysis - Untangle </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Align the interests of all key policy and market players – build partnerships </li></ul></ul>
    10. 10. Reality Check Analysis <ul><li>Identify & Isolate the problem </li></ul><ul><li>Check institutions’ evolution throughout time </li></ul><ul><li>Diagnose / Design Solutions </li></ul>
    11. 11. Align Interests KEY: TRUST <ul><li>Establish Trust through partnerships </li></ul><ul><li>Align the interests of key policy and market players: </li></ul>Trust Private Capital Government Citizens
    12. 12. Success Stories: Margarita in Peru <ul><li>Margarita: seamstress worth ~ $80/month in 1990 </li></ul><ul><li>today she is worth ~Thousands </li></ul><ul><li>Peru 1990: Hyperinflation, lawlessness, joblessness … and over 70% unreal estate </li></ul><ul><li>Staggering break-through results … </li></ul><ul><ul><li>$60M investment gave a 200-multiple return </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>12 agencies turned into 2 </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>$7,000 to $14 </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>7 years to 2 days </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>No more intermediaries </li></ul></ul>
    13. 13. Success Stories: Peru Continued <ul><li>Rapid increase in secure liquid property ownership </li></ul><ul><ul><ul><li>With over 6 million beneficiaries </li></ul></ul></ul>“ the big jump”
    14. 14. Peru: Positive socio-economic impacts of secure property rights issued by the program Reduced levels of.. Increased levels of..
    15. 15. Success Stories: Deborah in the US <ul><li>Deborah in Washington DC: </li></ul><ul><li>was worth a welfare check…. </li></ul><ul><li>mobilized the transformation of unreal to real estate in her neighborhood </li></ul>
    16. 16. How can we keep on having success stories <ul><li>Build Triple Bottom Line businesses </li></ul><ul><li>Partner with players that are willing / share the vision </li></ul><ul><li>Use Reality Check Analysis </li></ul><ul><li>Get involved…!!!! </li></ul>
    17. 17. <ul><li>www.prosperityunbound.com/blog </li></ul><ul><li>Facebook: Fans of Prosperity Unbound (group) </li></ul><ul><li>Prosperity Unbound (page) </li></ul><ul><li>Twitter: Elena_Panaritis </li></ul><ul><li>Elena Panaritis </li></ul><ul><li>Founder and Director Panel Group LLL </li></ul><ul><li>[email_address] </li></ul><ul><li>[email_address] </li></ul>
    1. A particular slide catching your eye?

      Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

    ×