View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Discussion:Internet research is the practice of using the ,especially the , for . In 2003 A.D., the Internet forms adistributed library of billions of pages, one that isaccessible to anyone, anywhere in the world, at the clickof a mouse.Four-step process that an Internet Search engine canfind the answers to a query so quickly: 1. Crawling the Web, following links to find pages.2. Indexing the pages to create an index from every wordto every place it occurs.3. Ranking the pages so the best ones show up first.4. Displaying the results in a way that is easy for the user
Search Tips:1. Read the Help or Tips Menu. The Help or Tips Menu will provide valuableinformation about how to perform an effective search.2. Prepare to Search3. Start Simple and Take Advantage of the SearchTool When you begin a search, use the simple mode to enter search terms.4. Use Both the Advanced and the Simple Modesof Search Tools the information that you are looking for often dictates how you will search.
7.Use More than One Search Tools8. Use Capitalization When Appropriate or to Refine aSearch Capitalization will often retrieve sites that have the search term in the title, (eg. Computers rather than computers). 9. Use Find or Ctrl-F to Help Navigate Search Results Often it is difficult to understand why a site is retrieved in a search. The Find or Ctrl-F feature will quickly allow you to search the text of a site and locate specific keywords.
Internet searching techniques:• Use quotation marks “…” to specify exact phrases: “internet marketing”• Use the plus (+) and minus (-) sign to include andexclude words:“internet marketing +facebook” vs“internet marketing –facebook”
Internet searchingmethods:1. Internet Search Methods 1.01 UnderstandInternet search tools and methods.2. What are Internet search methods? Searchmethods are used by search tools to increase theeffectiveness and efficiency of Internet searches.Search methods: Keyword Field BooleanMiscellaneous 1.01 Understand Internet search toolsand methods.
3. Keyword Search Keying a main idea, phrase, orconcept (called a search string) in the search box with orwithout quotation marks. Use quotation marks toidentify a phrase “ to be or not to be” will return resultsonly of entire phrase 1.01 Understand Internet searchtools and methods.4. Field Field – The search is conducted for a specifictitle, domain, URL, or host. Allows the user to adjust thebreadth and depth of a search.
5. Boolean Logic A method used to refine a search withthe use of operators with keywords: AND, OR + and –symbols Place symbol immediately before keyword StarWars +I =Star Wars episode6. Miscellaneous Search Methods Different LanguageSupport searches for words in different languages SpellChecker gives suggestions if the word keyed for thesearch is spelled incorrectly Phonebook uses phonenumbers to search for locations and addressesMath/equivalents solves basic math problems andconverts equivalents
Data online baseonline database is a database accessible from anetwork, including from the Internet. Examples of databases: Point of sale Inventory system (Till)Warehouse Inventory SystemElectronic Telephone BookAirline booking systemHotel Booking system
Another example ofdatabases Loading CSV into preformatted spreadsheetsSurveyCalculating distancesBRITANNICA ONLINE "Black Death." Encyclopaedia Britannica Online.Encyclopaedia Britannica, 2007. Web. 8 Aug. 2012FACTS.COMWorld News Digest"Global Environment: News in Brief." Facts On FileWorld News Digest: n. pag. World News Digest. Facts On File News Services, 2 Nov.
Online database tips:1.Search Terms In this tip, you will learn how to determine thewords and phrases that reflect your information needs.2. Database Selection In this tip, you will learn how to selectappropriate databases from the ISU Library web page.
3. Start the Search In this tip, you will learn theimportance of starting with a generalsearch in whatever database you havechosen.
4. Advanced Search In this tip, you will learn tohow use the advanced search modefor complex searching.
5. Subject Headings In this tip, you will learn how todetermine relevant subject headingsthat are assigned to each article.
6. Boolean In this tip, you will learn how touse Boolean operators or connectorsbetween search terms.
7. Truncation In this tip, you will learn how totruncate search terms so that youretrieve articles containing all thevariants of the term you are searching.Using truncation will help to expandyour search.
8. Limiting In this tip, you will learn how touse database limiting features toretrieve fewer and more relevantitems. Limiting allows you to bemore precise in your searching.
9. Adapt the Search In this tip, you will learn how toadapt your search strategy. Beingflexible in your searching willimprove your results.
10. Web Concerns In this tip, you will learn to becautious before using the freelyavailable web in your research. Itsfull of useless web pages such as theone below.