1. E-CO-FFEECreate the eco - life by reusing coffee ground An-Sheng Huang , Mei-Ling Lu Jan. 22th , 2013 Report of Industrial Design Senior Project
2. E-CO-FFEEBecause of the structure and physical property,coffee ground has some special effects to be usedbefore it is dumped to be kitchen waste.E-CO-FFEE is a series of modular implementsto help users to reuse coffee ground in a clean and convenient way.Users can build up a micro-circulatory systemto make their lives more natural.
3. CONTENTProblem 1Motivation / Purpose 2Statistics 3Competitors Research 5Sketch 7Users Behavior Research 14Customer Journey 15Personas 17Ways of Reusing Coffee Ground 18Concept Development 193D Model 20Feature of Design 21Context of Use 22
4. 1 2PROBLEM MOTIVATION / PURPOSE Why do we have to recycle Coffee Ground? According to the research, if we just dump coffee ground to the refuse area, it will decomposes andIn Taiwan, there are many coffee shop in the department store or on the street. Recently, the produces methane and greenhouse gas, which are 20 times more than the usual. The organic liquidmarket of coffee extend to the convenient store. In order to seize this business opportunity, the also produces pathogen to cause the pollution of underwater.convenient store bring in the innovative coffee machine. However, it also produces large amountof coffee ground. If we make good use of coffee grounds nutrition and organic matter to fertilize, it can keep the ground fertile and make the plant or crop grow. Besides, coffee beans become 10 times larger thanAccording to the statistic, nearly 30000 kg of coffee ground per month is produced by Taiwan, original after brewing. The holes of coffee ground become big ( just like active carbon), so that it canand nearly 40 kg of coffee ground per day is produced by a Starbucks or City Café of 7-11, adsorb the bad smell and moisture. This characteristic can also make a role of helper in home.which is nearby the MRT station. Theres only few coffee shops (City Café of 7-11) will cooperatewith textile factory to make the textile by coffee ground. Most coffee shops just dump it.
5. 3 4 STATISTICS 500 cups of coffee / per person / per year 103150000 kg of coffee grounds / per year ≒ X 147352-3 cups of coffee daily/ per person15692373 kg 30000 kg of coffee grounds / per monthof coffee grounds / per day ≒ X4≒ X 2241 WORLD AVERAGE 1 / per year 120 cups of coffee 3 kg of coffee grounds
6. 5 6COMPETITORS RESEARCH >Apple Peel GrowerSecond Chance Collection “The process of making Natural Sour Dough, also known as Mother Yeast, is a complex and delicate task. An excellent way of stimulating and nourishing the saccharomycetes involved in the fermentation process is to placeThe collection was born from TourDeForks recent research into the reuse and recycling of raw Kitchen apple skins in the perforated top partition of the lid.The apples natural oxidation helps create a balanced minimaterials. biosystem in which the yeast can thrive.”Second Chance is inspired by local Italian folk tradition and ritual, which has always tried to find a use towhat could be “food waste”, suggesting new utilities and reveling the hidden potential, of what could easilyend up in the waste bin.Reinterpreting ancient gestures through modern form, TourDeFork created a collection of objects that offera Second Chance of employment to food waste. ------------ TourDeFork >Orange Peel Hanger >Coffee Scent Dissipater The Orange Peel Hanger for leftover orange or any other exotic fruit peel is a steel skewer hung over a warm radiator during the winter. “The zesty oils contained in the skins will evaporate and engulf the room with their fragrance. Put used coffee grounds in the porcelain container and hang in the fridge. Coffee grounds act as an excellent You can even use the dried skins in cakes and jams.” odor neutralizer.
7. 7 8SKETCH IWe design a micro-circulatory system of reusing the kitchen waste in the cafe.For environmental and habitual concern,we design a series of implements to help usersto reuse coffee grounds and peels.
8. 9 10SKETCH IIWe choose "coffee shop" and "home" as our target environment,and plan a micro-circulatory system of reusing coffee grounds.According to the environment and habitat research,we design a series of implements to help users to reuse coffee grounds.
9. 11 12SKETCH IIIWe choose "coffee shop" and "home" as our target environment,and plan a micro-circulatory system of reusing coffee grounds.According to the environment and habitat research,we design a series of implements to help users to reuse coffee grounds.In this stage, we change the way of sharing and drying coffee grounds,and make it better to use.
10. 13 14SKETCH IV USERS BEHAVIOR RESEARCH Experiment: Asking for coffee ground at coffee shop / Interview: How the coffee shop deal with coffee ground In the process of asking for coffee ground, we discover that we have to make this request, then the worker open the machine to take out coffee ground. Coffee shop is willing to share coffee ground, but the hint of "You can bring coffee ground home for free" is not clear. Theres large amount of coffee ground is produced everyday. Some private coffee shop will reuse coffee ground to fertilize plants, or put it on the corner and fridge to deodorize and exsiccate. Besides, we know by interviewing the worker of 7-11 City Café that: although few of them will cooperate with textile factory to make the textile by coffee ground, most of them just dump it. How is coffee ground produced / The way of collecting coffee ground at present At backstage, the worker grounds coffee by machine, and puts it in the container which is like a tiny pot on the coffee maker. Then a cup of coffee is made after brewing. The way of collecting coffee ground is to make the container knock on the coffee ground box. The coffee ground box has a special tube on it, so that most of coffee ground can be poured out byIn this stage, we improve the form the products, knocking the container on the tube. Then use the spoon to clean out the rest of coffee ground in theand make them modular. container.We try to make them easier to use and make them logical. Photo locations: MyDesy Café, 7-11 City Cafe, How Relex Café
11. 15 16 CUSTOMER JOURNEY USERS BEHAVIOR Deodorize Coffee Grounds Bring Coffee Dry Coffee Make Coffee Share & Fertilize Produced Grounds Home Grounds Grounds MoldyUSER ExsiccateCOFFEE SHOP WORKERCOFFEE SHOP WORKER HOME USER HOME USER ENVIRONMENT Coffee Maker Coffee Shop Coffee Shop Oven, Microwave Fridge, Closet, Balcony Plant → Home Shoes cabinet.... PRODUCT
12. 17 18PERSONAS WAYS OF REUSING COFFEE GROUND Remove greasy Combine coffee grounds smell of pot/pan. with kitchen waste to remove bad smell. How does it work? Af ter brewing, coffee beans become 10 times larger than Wash hands original. The holes of coffee ground become big so that it has the great effect of adsorption, just like active carbon. Deodorize & Exsiccate (put in the fridge, How does it work? Coffee shops worker Home User Because of the destroyed protein, shoes cabinet, closet, ashtray...etc.) musty coffee ground wont make the roots of plant hurt. Coffee grounds produce nitrogen with air, carbon, and Coffee grounds are the most Coffee shop can share water, which is the important element kitchen waste in the cafe. They numerous coffee grounds that are always dumped to be the they produce daily, to build up a of fertilizer. kitchen waste. However, some of mode with the general public to Combine the musty them have special effects to be help each other, so that coffee coffee grounds with soil used, because of the structure grounds can play the role of to help plants growing & physical property of coffee lifes helper at coffee shop and better. grounds. home. Prevent insects/ animals from hurting plants. Wipe to clean the copper. How does it work? Some insects/animals How does it work? dont like the smell of The oil of coffee coffee ground. ground. Wipe to wax the floor.
13. 20 CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT 3D MODEL Dry Coffee Ground Exsiccate Wet Coffee Ground FertilizeWet Coffee Ground Aroma Deodorize Aroma Principle: Principle: Principle: The smell of coffee After brewing, coffee Because of the g r o u n d i s n o t l i ke beans become 10 times destroyed protein, other kitchen waste. larger than original. musty coffee ground Even after weeks, The holes of coffee wont make the roots the smell of it is ground become big so of plant hurt. Coffee mellow. The smell of that it has the great grounds produce coffee ground will be effect of adsorption, n i t r o g e n w i t h a i r, mellower by heating just like active carbon. carbon, and water, it. which is the important element of fertilizer. ↑ The structure of coffee ground under the microscope. The holes can have the good effect of adsorption. 19
14. 21 22FEATURE OF DESIGN CONTEXT OF USE Share ( Coffee shop → Home ) Deodorize Exsiccate Aroma (Also dry coffee grounds for exsiccating again) Fertilize Share module: The worker of coffee shop can collect coffee ground into it Aroma module: easily. The costumer can take coffee The heat of the Modular candle light make ground if they want. coffee groundThe transparent containers of filling coffee ground are all the same one. Put different Deodorize & spread its smell, andmodules on it according to different situation. Users can choose the modules they need. Exsiccate module: also make coffee ground dry so that When it is put in it can deodorize and Circulation of reusing the fridge, closet, exsiccate again. cabinet..., users can Fertilize module:Users can reuse coffee ground fully in a circulation. put other thingsSHARE DEODORIZE & EXSICCATE AROMA FERTILIZE on it if theres lots Help users to of things. It wont fertilize in a clean occupy the space w a y. S h a k e t h e Help users to make good use of coffee ground because of its form. module to make coffee ground dropActually, much kitchen waste has special effects. However, its a little inconvenient and into the plants.messy when reusing it, because that it is kitchen waste. Our products not just makeusers realize how eco-friendly it is to reuse coffee ground, but also help users to reusecoffee ground to help their lives in a clean and convenient way.