Mobile operating systems
• Like a computer operating
system, a mobile operating
system is the software platform
on top of which other programs
• When you purchase a mobile
device, the manufacturer will
have chosen the operating
system for that specific device.
• The operating system is responsible for
determining the functions and features
available on your device, such as
thumbwheel, keyboards, WAP,
synchronization with applications, e-mail,
text messaging and more.
• The mobile operating system will also
determine which third-party applications
can be used on your device.
• iOS is Apple’s mobile operating system.
• developed for iPhone, but later extended
support for iPad and Apple TV.
• iOS is frequently updated starting from iOS
version 4.0 and the latest
is iOS version 5.1.
Advantages of iOS:
• Very stable and secure
• Maybe the most loved interface for any mobile OS in the market.
• The stunning looks of Apple devices.
• High support for latest web standards
• Good support for cloud storage.
• Easy access to free and premium apps from Apple store
Disadvantages of iOS:
•iOS only support Apple Hardware
Android OS is a Linux based operating
system developed for using in mobile
devices such as smartphone and tablet PCs.
Google currently own Android OS and
release it as open source under Apache
Advantages of Android OS:
• Easy access to lot of free and premium
• Easy notification of any SMS,email or RSS reader alert
• Home screen allows easy access to settings quickly and
• The continuous development in looks and features might
soon leave other mobile OS far behind in the long run.
Disadvantages of Android OS:
• Very unstable and prone to crashes compared to
other Mobile OS
• To log on as administrator for making advanced
changes, you need to know linux commands.
• Continuous updates on the OS might want you to
upgrade to the latest which is called rooting.
• Most of the Apps require an internet connection
for functioning which sometimes is a
• Windows Mobile is developed by Microsoft for
• This is definitely a mobile OS to look out for the future.
• Windows phone like other OS also keeps updating regularly
and is now running on windows phone version 7.10.
• Microsoft have partnered with some bug names such as
Nokia, HTC, Samsung, LG etc. for using Microsoft Phone.
• Windows phone now supports 25 languages and it allows
selling and buying application in 35 countries.
• Symbian is a Linux based mobile OS
• Used by many major handset manufacturers
including Nokia, Samsung, and Sony Ericsson.
• Nokia recently decided to concentrate more on Windows
Phone OS rather than Symbian OS in their future editions.
• Even though Symbian lost a huge portion of the market, they
are still a power to reckon with.
• Hopefully they might come back with major changes and
upgrades for a better platform to attract more users.
• BlackBerry OS is a proprietary mobile OS, developed
by Research In Motion
• Blackberry was once the undeniable ruler
• But because of stiff competition from Android and iOS,
they lost considerable share of mobile market. .
• A lot of apps developed in market are compatible with
Advantage of Blackberry OS
•Great business phone infrastructure
•Free BBM messaging service
Disadvantage of Blackberry OS
Less apps present in the market for