Cervical Cancer in KSA
A Gari MD., BSc., FRCS(C), FACOG
Consultant Obstetrician & Gynecologist
q Cervical cancer is the 2ed most common form of cancer
among women worldwide (Endometrial > Ovarian > Cx )
* 17.8 per 100,000 women (incidence).
* 9.8 per 100,000 women (cancer deaths).
q Estimated 530,000 new cases .
q Estimated 274,000 deaths .
q Advanced cervical cancer is more common in
developing countries (15% vs. 3.6% of all new
q HPV is detected in 99.7 percent of cervical cancers.
q The field effect represent 20% of Cx ca.
Population (2010) Census : 27,130000
18,70000 Saudi nationals
- 15-64 years: 1.27 male(s)/female.
- >65 years : 1.03 male(s)/female.
- Total population: 1.17 male(s)/female.
Between January 01 and December 31, 2007
• The total number of cancer incident: 12,309.
• Cancers affected 5,982 (48.6%) males
6,321 (51.4%) female
Male to female ratio 95:100.
• 9,347 cases are Saudis,
• 2,590 cases Non-Saudis.
Cx Ca in KSA
q 2007 --- 105 cases (ASR 1.9).
q 2008--- 152 cases (ASR 2.1).
q Cervical cancer ranks the 12th most frequent
cancer in women in Saudi Arabia.
Age specific incidence rate for Cx Ca in Saudi Arabia
Is cervical cancer a problem ???
• Screening program.
• Health care providers motivation.
• Public a awareness and education.
• Prevention Health education
Parental acceptance cost patients acceptance