“If you touch me soft and gentle,
If you look at me and smile at me,
If you listen to me talk,sometimes,before
I will grow, really grow”
Types of mentoring
– Formal/informal programs like
– personal profiles,
– comparing interest or
– get acquainted sessions
Importance of mentoring
1.Academic mentoring helps
improve overall academic
2.Career mentoring improves
LT career development
3.Personal mentoring supports
in times of personal or social
stress, provides guidance for
DM and gives emotional
– Focus on individual learner
– self responsibility
– High initiative
– Usually not in a line relationship
– Focus on specific problem /work related performance skill
– Solution oriented
– Focus on results of the job
– Ownership shared
– Shares a line relationship.
– For all
– Focuses on deep behavioral and emotional
– Should know the whole person you counsel
– Help him develop self responsibility
– Help him look into inner compass.
What do mentors do?
Phase 1:Establishing rapport (initiating)
– Whether both can get along and respet each other
– Exchange views on what is and not in the relationship
– Agree on formal contract
– Agee a way of working together
– Agree on when ,where,how,frequency and duration of meetings.
– Impatience to get going
– Unwillingness to commit/tentativeness
– Politeness in testing and challenging.
– Suspend judgments
– Be clear about what needs to be established and wht is to be left
– Be open to hints and concerns unarticulated.
• Phase 2: Direction setting(getting
– Learn the learning style of the learner.
– Try to work a to match the learning style with
plan of action.
– Determine the initial needs and the goals of
– Identify priority areas for work.
– Keep open space.
– Begin work
– Over inclination to shut down on possibilities.
– Unwillingness to set goals
– Reluctance to open up possibilities for
– Using different frameworks and tools
– Encouraging open thinking
– Setting up opportunities for diagnosis by third
– Give feedback/set objectives/plan
Phase 3:progres making(development)
– Creating forum for progressingthe learner’s issues
– Use each other’s expertise as agreed upon.
– Establish means for reviewing progress and make
– Identify new issues& ways of working
– Be ready for evolution of the relationship.
– Period of sustained productivity
– Dealing with changes in the relationship/learner’s
circumstancespreparing o move on
– Monitoring the progress of the learner
– Relationship review and renegotiations
– Recognizing achievements' /objectives
Phase 4:Moving on (finalizing/maintenance)
– Allow relationship to end or evolve
– Move to maintenance
– Review what can be taken and used in other contexts.
– Dealing with rupture/loss
– Major renegotiations and continuation
– Address own and other's feeling of loss
– Develop next phase
– Orchestrate a good ending
– Generalize the learning
– Establish friendship.
Limitations of mentoring
• Belief that mentoring works with freshers.
• Organizations don’t really work on building
• Identification of mentors is itself a tough
• Mentoring should be in harmony with
Who cannot be mentors
• The Fixers: very autocraticwnting not delegate
anything want to fix everything themselves.
• The Bureaucrat: too rule-bound and controlling
to accommodate different approaches
• The Pleaser: wanting to plese all at all times.
• The Talker: not into active listening or develping
A good mentor:
• Does not blame
• Will give honest answers
• Will not intimidate—easily approachable at anytime
• Very good at their job.
• Actively questions you.
• Gives constructive positive feedback.