• Aquafina was first distributed in Wichita, Kansas in
• It was distributed across US, Canada and Turkey in
• By 2003, it had become US’s top selling bottled
The water is standard tap water but goes through an
extensive purification process that includes charcoal
fibration, reverse osmosis and ozonation.
• Pepsi Cola and Coca-Cola have been competing with
each other for many years through numerous taste
tests and television ads.
• One of the ideas they came up with is water. Pepsi
first tried to attack this market with bottled and
sparkling water but failed. In 1994, Pepsi had the
idea of using its bottlers to filter local tap water and
offering the resulting product under the name
• Hence, they experimented with a reverse osmosis
Excellent distribution and
Environment friendly plastic
•Advertise more with
benefits of pure water
• Should utilize the
distribution facility to reach
• Tasteless and odorless
• Also removes good bacteria
that has to be added
• No presence in rural areas
•Other water company
•Products which are sold at
• A few years ago, it released a new bottle that
used 35% less plastic than the 2002 version and
continued working on new ways to reduce our
dependence on plastic.
• This led to the development of our new and
improved Eco-Fina Bottle.
• Using a patented spider web technology, we
designed a flexible lightweight bottle that uses 50%
less plastic than the 2002 version.
• Aquafina borrowed Pepsi’s purification technology
called hydRO-7. It included a reverse osmosis process
pushing already filtered tap water at high pressure
through fibre-glass membranes to remove even the
• On november, 2008 the Supreme Court had directed
PepsiCo to remove pictures of snow capped
mountains from the label of aquafina and to use
words as per BIS guidelines.
• Because it suggested that the Aquafina has its origin
in the mountains which creates a misleading
impression in the mind of the customer.
• PRODUCT- PepsiCo produces several other
products under the Aquafina label including :
1. Aquafina Sparkling, carbonated flavored water
(available in berry blast & citrus twist).
2. Aquafina Flavorsplash, flavored water (available in
grape & raspberry).
• PROMOTION- Earlier Pepsico had tried several
initiatives for promoting the brand but failed. Then
after 2003 the issue was solved when pepsi doubled
its promotion budget which increased their market
• PRICE- The price of each 1l Aquafina water bottle in
northern India(Delhi, Chandigarh, UP) is Rs 15
whereas in southern india(Chennai, Madhurai, Kerala,
Bangalore), it is Rs 18. In airports, the price is Rs 20.
• PLACE- Aquafina follows the second type of
distribution channel, i.e
Producer --> Wholesaler --> Retailer -->Consumer
Aquafina comes under the NICHE type of market
segment. A small but profitable segment of
a market suitable for focused attention by
a marketer. Market niches do not exist by
themselves, but are created by
identifying needs or wants that are not being
addressed by competitors, and by
offering products that satisfy them.
The target audience we are aiming for
Aquafina is the 20-35 years old healthconscious women and active men who
Aquafina will position itself as a cost-effective
and refreshing beverage, fulfilling the market
need for pure water. The product has no
added minerals and it is pure.
ADVERTISING TACTICS / TOOLS
Aquafina has always used TVCs, i.e television
commercials and print ads in newspapers only
for advertising their product.
To create awareness and persuade the
customers which will encourage them to switch
to their brands by effectively changing
consumer’s perception of product attributes.
Aquafina has to focus on persuasive and reminder
advertising. It will enable them to build brand
preferences which will encourage customers to
switch to their brand by effectively changing
customer’s perceptions about the product.
Date - 2 April, 2013
Brand Name - Pepsi Aquafina
Job - To create a full page front print ad for
an english newspaper of A3 size with a long
Background - Aquafina has earlier used print
ads for advertising their product.
Problem – The company uses HydRO7
technique. This makes the water odorless
and tasteless. This process also removes the
good bacteria present in water.
Campaign Objective – to make people aware
and persuade them to try more of our
Target Audience - unisex, middleclass
Tone - The copy will be simple and casual
which can relate to the readers and is easily
Creative/Trigger - The water is pure, hence,
people with serious health problems can
also drink it.
Deadline - 30 April, 2013
• The ad will be a print advertisement which will be
printed on the front page of the newspaper – The
Times Of India.
•The amount which has been involved in the past will be
put again , i.e HISTORICAL method of budget will
will be conducted to monitor and evaluate the
audience’s reactions towards the ad.