1. A young man, a university student, was one day taking a walkStory from with an old wise manQisas.comWith somemodificationsBy Junaid Qadir
2. As they went along,they saw lying in thepath a pair of oldshoes.They supposed that theshoes must belong tothe poor man who worksin the field close by.
3. The student turned to theold wise man saying:“Let us play the man atrick: we will hide hisshoes, and concealourselves behind thosebushes, and wait to seehis perplexity when hecannot find them.”
4. “My young friend, …”answered the wise old man.“We should never amuseourselves at the expenseof the poor. But you arerich, and may giveyourself a much greaterpleasure by means of thispoor man. ””
5. The old wise man continued “Put a coin in each shoe, and then we will hide ourselves and watch how this affects him.”
6. The poor man,while putting on his coat,slipped his foot in one of the shoes.Feeling something hard,he stooped down to feel what it was,and found the coins.
7. Astonishmentandwonderwere evidenton his face.
8. The poor man felt:Fortunate andVery Happy
9. He gazed upon the cointurned it aroundand looked at it again and again.
10. The student stood there deeply affected.The old man asked then:“We did surprise the poor man,but is this way not better”
11. The youth replied:You have taught me a lesson whichI will never forget.I feel now the truth of these words which I never understood before :
12. [Sahih Muslim]
13. It was related on the authority of AbuHurairah, radiyallahu anhu, that the Prophet,sallallahu alayhi wasallam, said:“ Whosoever relieves from a believersome grief pertaining to this world, Allahwill relieve from him some griefpertaining to the Hereafter” [Sahih Muslim]