3. Dominant design hasn’t emerged: Term being used by two campsMarketing faster Applying Agile to marketing• Real-time • From development• Lean marketing • More responsive• Forrester’s custom flavor • More effective• PPC guys• Social media
4. Agile marketing is a high-communication, low documentation, rapid iteration process designed to provide more frequent, more relevant and highly measurable marketing programs - IDC, Agile Principles and Practices, 2010
5. Why I care about Agile? •Need to be responsive and adaptive •Never liked marketing plans •Short shelf life for marketing plans
6. Results matter more than documentationso I needed a lightweight approach
7. Applying ideas ofAgile development to marketing
8. What is Agile Development? “Software development methodologies based on iterative and incremental development, where requirements and solutions evolvethrough collaboration between self-organizing, cross-functional teams” - Wikipedia *** Also, see The Agile Manifesto
9. Agile vs. Waterfall Image: Wikipedia
10. Why should you careabout Agile Marketing?
11. Reason #1Marketers don’t really know much
12. Just 32% of marketers know howcustomers behave across channels
13. Reason #2Speed and flexibility arecompetitive advantages
14. Reason #3Communications overheadslows things down
15. Reason #4Truly empowering individualsmeans things get done Reason #5 The best work comes from self-organizing teams
16. “Decisions made bygroups are often better than could have been made by any singlemember of the group” - James Surowiecki Wisdom of Crowds, 2004
17. Reason #6Fast moving media and marketsmeans frequent adjustments
18. Reason #7Results matter more than processes
19. How Agile Marketing works…
20. Plan in short windows or SPRINTS Image: Wikipedia
21. USE CASESdescribe howcustomers use your product
22. PRODUCT OWNER speaks for the market
23. Meet or SCRUMfrequently to discuss issues
24. SCRUM MASTER leads the way
25. BACKLOG captures everything in that SPRINT
26. What have you done for me lately?What have you completed?What are you doing next?What barriers are you facing?
27. SCRUMS are open/transparent
28. BURNDOWN CHARTSmeasure progress during a SPRINT Image: Wikipedia
29. Common excuses for not using Agile Marketing?
30. We have a planning culture…“We do it this way…”“We need to build consensus…”“The CMO wants to see a marketing…”
31. Talent level…“Waterfall protects the weak”Smarter people can adapt and adjustNeed people who can handle uncertainty Image: Wikipedia
32. Too many meetings already…Are you look too farback or too far intothe future?
33. Many inherently waterfall programs• Direct mail• Old school advertising (print, TV, radio)• Tradeshows/events